Petition For Blizzard To Remove Guns From Overwatch Nears 14,000 Supporters

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
“I would like Tracer to be my daughter's role model and I am concerned that she will think playing with guns is fine.”

…we in the gaming community still have many concerns about the upcoming Overwatch game, including the use of guns to violently kill other players, sometimes even going as far as shooting each other in the head. We, the gaming community, would like to put a stop to this brutality. Please sign this petition if you agree. If we can cleanse Overwatch of all of it's problematic guns and sexuality, we will finally have a first person shooter that we can play with our entire family.

So in WoW it's okay to kill each other with magic and swords but killing each other with guns is bad? Brilliant.

I think parents and schools should teach kids how to use a gun. Is the safety on? Do you not have a finger on the trigger while checking safety is on or off? Why not to point a gun at people unless you mean it. Instead of making kids afraid of weapons we should be teaching them the rights and wrongs in the use of guns or any weapon in general.

Last edited:
I could understand if this were marketed towards children, but Overwatch is rated T for Teen. Its a fighting game, and teens can handle fighting. Six years old, yes perhaps shield them from anything involving violence, and pick a different type of game.

What's sad is it's the younger people that are asking for these changes, the 16 to 23 year old crowd. They are more likely to ask that happy meal toys are taken away from children, for more rainbow balloon options at Dollar Tree, weapons to get removed from games. I even read not too long ago our newest generation was petitioning that Kung Fu Theater be removed off TV. These are also the same group of people that are 90% more likely to use a transgender bathroom at Target as well. Probably the craziest thing I've seen in person is a group of generation Carebears having a sit-in at a local Walmart because they carried nerf products.

Care-Bear
/careˈbēar/
noun
plural noun: Carebears; plural noun: Carebears
  1. a person reaching young adulthood around the year 2013; a Generation Yer.
    "the industry brims with theories on what makes Carebears tick"
Translate millennials to
Use over time for: carebears
upload_2016-5-29_15-59-32.png
Translations, word origin, and more definitions

Next they'll want to take the cheese off of pizza because its a choking hazard. :rolleyes:

wow, I am having a hard time containing the laughter.

I don't do this often, in fact I have probably never posted this on this forum, but here it goes.....

SMH

I'll just leave this here for them to revel in their logic...
"If we can cleanse Overwatch of all of it's problematic guns and sexuality, we will finally have a first person shooter that we can play with our entire family."

Many logic. Much sound. So wow!

If you want a "first person shooter" that you can "finally" play with your entire family, well... you're a decade and a half too late and a few braincells short for that party:
Nerf Arena Blast (1999)

BOOM! Headshot... lol

(if that music is what came with the game, man... what has happened to Deathmatch games?!? :cry:)

If we can cleanse Overwatch of all of it's problematic guns and sexuality, we will finally have a first person shooter that we can play with our entire family.

Sooooo......we need to get rid of the guns in the game in order to have a quality first person SHOOTER? How the fuck can you have a shooter without guns? I wish they'd get all the cars out of the Forza games so we can finally have a quality racing game. God I hate hippies.

WARNING WARNING - Satire Detectors Offline!

For anyone who may not be aware of it, (and assuming this is the same one started awhile ago) this is not a serious petition to lessen the violence in Overwatch, remove guns, or anything else. After "The Tracer Pose Debacle" , a number of annoyed users created these kind of petitions as a satirical chastisement of Blizzard. I don't doubt there are a handful of legitimate commenters, but I am guessing that many are simply designed to impugn the attitude of those who seriously demand that games be edited because of political correctness.

Edit: Just for the record, I'm what many would characterize as "Liberal / Leftist" (ie both socially liberal and fiscally Left in regards to policy.. Strong institutions serving and protecting the rights of citizens both individually and in aggregate, thus doing the most good for the most people), and I have no objections to guns in video games or for that matter, properly regulated firearm ownership. Furthermore, I abhor the "political correctness" that has broken forth of its containment zones in recent years, especially as it applies to gaming as discussed here.

Last edited:
Where somebody said earlier that the majority of these people who signed this are aged 16-23...that is wrong. People who signed this are extreme left wing, anti-gun nuts who feel that if they pull guns from Overwatch it'll be a massive political victory for the left wing. Oh, did I mention these near 14,000 who signed this already are all highly likely to be voting for Hillary in the upcoming election? Funny thing is, they protest Overwatch yet they leave the new DOOM alone? That question should be asked here because they chose a very interesting target in gaming to push a political agenda. Namely, because the new DOOM to these people should be 1000X more offensive than anything Overwatch can bring to the table. But then again, politics has and makes strange bedfellows. Kinda makes me feel the person who came up with this petition and the people who signed it basically just placed the newest FPS' on a large dartboard and threw 1 dart: the game the dart landed on is the game the petition writer would protest. If I were Blizzard/Activision I would ignore this. Them taking the guns out of Overwatch over the political livid anger of under 14,000 people would set a really terrible precedent in the gaming industry we see today. My $.02 and until next time I am out!

6ff0e820-b43c-0133-b380-0e438b3b98d1.png

Where somebody said earlier that the majority of these people who signed this are aged 16-23...that is wrong. People who signed this are extreme left wing, anti-gun nuts who feel that if they pull guns from Overwatch it'll be a massive political victory for the left wing. Oh, did I mention these near 14,000 who signed this already are all highly likely to be voting for Hillary in the upcoming election? Funny thing is, they protest Overwatch yet they leave the new DOOM alone? That question should be asked here because they chose a very interesting target in gaming to push a political agenda. Namely, because the new DOOM to these people should be 1000X more offensive than anything Overwatch can bring to the table. But then again, politics has and makes strange bedfellows. Kinda makes me feel the person who came up with this petition and the people who signed it basically just placed the newest FPS' on a large dartboard and threw 1 dart: the game the dart landed on is the game the petition writer would protest. If I were Blizzard/Activision I would ignore this. Them taking the guns out of Overwatch over the political livid anger of under 14,000 people would set a really terrible precedent in the gaming industry we see today. My $.02 and until next time I am out!

Dude, for the vast majority, it's a joke. Even us lefties know it's a joke

If it isn't a joke, then .... well, the world is screwed regardless. That said, it seems to be an obvious joke. However, you never know.... lots of things you hear seem to be a joke, but then you realize the stupid is real.

Has to be one of the dumbest video game related petitions I have ever seen. Pretty sure most of the people signing the petition are just doing it for a good laugh. :cautious:

most of the people signing it are just doing it so they can post negative comments against it since you're not allowed to comment unless you sign the petition. i'd say about 5k of the signatures are actually legitimately for the petition.

Yeah, this came about due to the whole "Blizzard removes what'shername's ass shot" thing.

lol forgot about that.

Last edited:
Lactose intolerant.

And that crust....glutten.

Also the pork is offensive to some religions.

And really just the whole cultural appropriation a little too much, if you're not Italian you have no business eating pizza.

If we got rid of the meat, the crust, and the cheese... and could ensure the veggies are organic and GMO free, we'd finally have a pizza that everyone could enjoy.

That's what the Wii is for. Play Splatoon, it's a blast.

People have no lives. All of these "causes". Good lord!

If we got rid of the meat, the crust, and the cheese... and could ensure the veggies are organic and GMO free, we'd finally have a pizza that everyone could enjoy.

Fuck that. Pizza. We got the meats.

Playing with guns is fine. Lighten up.
Pretty sure this petition is a joke, and they wanted to illustrate that the original petition about her pose was incredibly retarded, so they are pushing the stupid, and basically forcing Blizzard to realize "Maybe some of these concerns are actually nonsense, and we should not humour them"

Which is why this character was used, and as guns are her primary weapon, the likelihood of them removing them is not going to happen obviously.

They are trolling Blizzard, and they should, the original complaint should not have been heard, it was nonsense.

Video game characters as role models? That's messed up. Naming kids after fictional and game characters is bad enough. You should choose a different role model. No one should change their game and FICIONTAL CHARACTERS if they're "not a good role model" for your kid. If you want a role model for your kid, you should start with yourselves. Your kids look up to you more than anything.

What's next? J R R Tolkein LOTR stories need to be re-written because it's too violent? And for the record, guns don't kill people, people do. Last I checked, guns don't fire bullets on their own.

"we will finally have a first person shooter "

But if you remove guns, you don't have a first person shooter.

I just got the "remove all guns" mod for Quake 1, it even removed my axe. Hard damn game now, and quad damage doesn't seem to do much for me! :D

Silly stuff.

Back