Petition Asking For Reddit CEO Firing Tops 16k

And so, the white knight army donned their trilbies and rode bravely to their subreddits, gallantly defending the honor of m'lady hipster girl mod, who was dismissed of her post by the vile and hated feminist CEO.

You can't make this shit up.

Seems like the CEO has her own w/k's.

So no one knows why she was let go, but they're sure that evil Pao woman had something to do with it?

Huh. And they say Reddit is a hivemind.
Would it really hurt you to go to Reddit and read why they pulled the site or read the petition or the article posted? You're convinced that tens of thousands of people and all the admins helping to run the site for years for free are hive-mind idiots, without even taking two seconds to listen to the complaint... or do you have a relationship with Pao personally? Hey, nothing wrong if you're into frumpy androgynous middle aged asian boys with long hair, but I'm just sayin.
As much as Victoria is loved, this reaction is not all a result of her departure: there is a feeling among many of the moderators of reddit that the admins do not respect the work that is put in by the thousands of unpaid volunteers who maintain the communities of the 9,656 active subreddits, which they feel is expressed by, among other things, the lack of communication between them and the admins, and their disregard of the thousands of mods who keep reddit's communities going.
And as was pointed out in previous threads and is common knowledge on Reddit that Pao has a very questionable personal history, and the sharing of that information on Reddit resulted in massive site-wide censorship and shadow banning of accounts. She then legitimized future shadow banning by implementing a new "anti-harassment" rule on the site, indicating that you can't name anyone specifically in a negative fashion, which really only applied in a mainstream fashion to a few celebrities and most notably all the negative threads about herself on subreddits. She then made many other high profile changes like eliminating salary negotiations and banning several subreddits which she didn't like. The entire time the community and the thousands of unpaid volunteers at least feel that they have had no communication regarding their concerns and complaints, with some moderators having been banned for complaining on the IRC channel.

So when you take a very libertarian site like Reddit that relies on an unpaid userbase to create the content and manage itself almost entirely, and then completely change the flavor of the site kicking the ants nest with widespread censorship and lack of communication, you are going to have a bad time.

Nope. Like I said, I'm just here to watch all the neckbeards get their Pokeballs in a bunch.
Right, everyone is an idiot except for you, even though you admit you don't have the slightest clue what's going on... but you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so its all good. :rolleyes:

Any business where your userbase is your product.
More users = more ad views = business success.
Less users = less ad views = business failure.

So, let's rephrase that question for you:
In what world does increasing (or decreasing) production (with essentially fixed costs) determine a CEO? Every business.

....Userbase is your product? No such business exists buddy.

Can't have a discussion when you're living in a world where CEO's can make people! Wowie, are we far off the wagon today.

....Userbase is your product? No such business exists buddy.
The userbase creates, manages, and polices the content, and their collective participation generates revenue in the form of ad views. Yes, the userbase is the product. Same as facebook.

Service interruptions aside this has been so entertaining. I missed digg imploding so it feels like a second chance to watch something driven into the ground.

The biggest problem is people don't know what to do without reddit. Who the heck wants to go back to RSS feeds? Oh well at least we have Hardforums news.

Service interruptions aside this has been so entertaining. I missed digg imploding so it feels like a second chance to watch something driven into the ground.

The biggest problem is people don't know what to do without reddit. Who the heck wants to go back to RSS feeds? Oh well at least we have Hardforums news.

Hey, don't diss the RSS

Hey, don't diss the RSS

Broken record, but RIP Google Reader. When I could share relevant news with people I actually cared about.

My biggest problem with RSS that I never knew was a problem until I started using reddit was that I had to self curate content. So I would get tons of duplicate content from similar sites.

Right now I have Forbes - Tech, Scientific America, and one for my local city. If anyone has combinations with good coverage without repetition please share!

The userbase creates, manages, and polices the content, and their collective participation generates revenue in the form of ad views. Yes, the userbase is the product. Same as facebook.

adbusters_ProductIsYou.jpg

Voat is under extremely heavy load. We are working around the clock to scale our infrastructure in order to accomodate new users.

90% of the people who surf the net and coach surf are wrong they want to Hastag people out of the job cause they accomplished ZIP in Reality themselves.

I already did. Neckbeards with fedoras.

Most of the people I know under 35 visit Reddit in some form or fashion. The females I know enjoy the gift program. I enjoy the funny NSFW. It has many different layers.

I do not know any neckbeards. I also do not think I have seen a fedora in real life.

It's not Something Aweful. Real people use it.

https://www.adbusters.org/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/downloads/preview/adbusters_ProductIsYou.jpg?itok=iGPXhGEq
I prefer to think of it as a BYOB house party sponsored by Budweiser with their banners everywhere. ;)

I see. So no one knows why hipster girl was fired. But they know it was unjust? And they know Ellen Pao was behind it?

Chances are Pao is going to attempt to nosedive reddit into the ground so she either gets let go with a severance package of 2.2mil or someone purchases the site and she gets the 2.2mil

Chances are Pao is going to attempt to nosedive reddit into the ground so she either gets let go with a severance package of 2.2mil or someone purchases the site and she gets the 2.2mil
Or she gets to sue for discrimination, as her and her husband have a long history with. ;)

It just came out that she fired a worker for recovering from cancer.
Oh snap, they keep piling on more and more...
https://www.reddit.com/r/bestof/comments/3c0nsz/this_just_in_ellen_pao_fired_reddit_employee/

Luckily people screencapped the AMA as they deleted it:
Less than a month later, in February of 2015, I received a call from Ellen stating that I was to be terminated in less than a week. When I asked what the specific reason was, she had roughly stated that “because of our discussion, you are too sick to properly fulfill your duties as Community Manager.” (At no point during our meeting was this stated - I had raised concerns about the stress levels of Community Management, but had ultimately decided that it was something I could easily manage.)
This is the censorship nonsense, and Pao needs to realize that you can't just censor the internet, there are enough people to find all the dirt and trying to hide it just makes it that much more juicy, and nothing can ever truly be deleted from the internet.

And the proof of this is a Reddit post I would assume?
A lot of people saw the thread created by David Croach (the fired cancer survivor) and it was also screencapped before the admins deleted it so the proof was not lost.
But his excitement was soon tempered when Pao, who joined Reddit in 2013, took over following Wong’s departure in November and instituted a new policy that required all employees to work from the San Francisco office.

In January, Croach said he flew out to San Francisco and attended a three-day seminar. He also met with Pao to discuss his future with the company and his moving plans. He said he planned to move to the Bay area two or three months later, and he says she told him she was “100% fine” with that.

But, Croach wrote: “Less than a month later, in February of 2015, I received a call from Ellen stating that I was to be terminated in less than a week.”
http://dailycaller.com/2015/07/03/e...-ellen-pao-fired-him-because-he-had-leukemia/
Cliffs Notes: The previous leadership was more than accommodating, keeping his job open and even keeping him on the payroll while he underwent chemotherapy and bone marrow transplant, and was working when he could from home remotely.

Pao came in and said everyone had to move to the Bay area, and although obviously not convenient for a lot of staff he said he'd comply and had no issue with the decision, but she ultimately fired him saying that he wasn't well enough to fulfill his duties even though he felt that he did and that at no point came up in the group meeting.

This is just days after she fired the other valuable employee under questionable circumstances, although again it really wasn't about them, and about the bigger picture of mismanagement and lack of communication and appreciation for the moderators and community at large.

Does anyone think they will keep her? I understand the collective politics of the people running that place may preclude a white man holding the job, regardless of qualifications, but does it have to be that particular useless shit bag of a person just because it has a vagina? Other less shit bag people have vaginas too, are likely as or more qualified, and certainly less hated by their users.

Why was she fired?

From what I heard, and no idea how accurate the source is, the new CEO was forcing people to relocate to another area and Victoria did not want to... who would, if you're established you don't just get up and move and start over. Also the CEO wanted to commercialize the AMAs which Victoria did not want. IT sounds like this CEO is trying to turn what is suppose to be a casual/fun environment into a stuck up corporate setting. If she stays I could see Reddit turn into a commercialized site with tons of ads and other annoyances. It would actually not be too hard to build a platform like Reddit, if she sinks that ship I'm sure someone else will come up with a new platform.

Overall I think this new CEO is shooting herself in the foot. Hopefully she ends up being forced out. I don't care that much about the whole thing, but I took a few minutes to sign the petition anyway. :p

doubt she will be forced out. what you just described sounds like a "good" CEO. I'm not one, don't want to be one, and wouldn't envy one in any case, but turning something from a "casual/fun environment" into a monetized, corporate entity is exactly what CEO's are tasked with doing in so far as they are supposed to do anything for a corporation.

Also, firing someone for not being well enough to do his job is the path of least restriction, whether she really believed it, didn't like him personally, or simply didn't want to cover expensive cancer treatments that's how corporations operate. Same goes for the woman who just lost her job allegedly for not wanting to relocate. When a corporation is going through restructuring your job is on the line and if you start to squeak you won't be greased. Anyone born and working post-20th century should consider this common sense at this point.

doubt she will be forced out. what you just described sounds like a "good" CEO.
A good CEO does not jeopardize the entire enterprise with their changes, to the point of risking the collapse of the business and mass exodus of the userbase like Digg before it which now has virtually no value whatsoever.

When a business relies almost entirely on fostering a welcoming environment with thousands of users creating the content and doing all of the work in moderation, save for the actual operation of the servers, to piss them off repeatedly is beyond idiotic, and they need to dump this cancer to their organization while the company still has value, because once everyone leaves it will be too late to try to ever attract them back again.

The sad thing is not even any of the people getting their knickers in a twist about this really give a damn at all, it's just the current fashion of needing to be outraged so that you can prove that your worthless opinions matter and can bring about real world change. So (they hope) someone gets fired so they can sit back and pat themselves on the back for being part of it. And then forget about it and move onto the next pointless controversy.
Fuck Reddit, and Twitter too. Whenever someone attempts to back up an argument by referring to one or the other as though they're some sort of official authorities, I now switch off and disregard anything else that person says.

this whole meta social involvement "community" bullshit that is reddit lately has me wanting to go there less and less. If it weren't for the cute pet snippets and random, interesting niche subreddits , I'd probably never visit again.

if enough redditors broke off into their own site, they the original couldn't do much to stop that. but nope, just protest. that sure worked for them.

I'm not a redditor, I pretty much only use it when a question I have pops up in a google search. I hope they get this shit figured out quickly, because there are some threads in r/watercooling I wanted to see. This whole setting subreddits to private is annoying, and I find it childish, honestly

The sad thing is not even any of the people getting their knickers in a twist about this really give a damn at all
Oh ok, so you speak on behalf of the over 125K signatures on the change.org site and have experience with those tens of thousands of people personally to understand their motivations. Approximately how many of the 125K people did you poll? Assuming you somehow contacted 1% within the last 3 days the petition has been live, that's 1,250 interviews you conducted, or about 17 interviews an hour...

Hmmmm, yeah, I'm going to recommend you put down your plastic bubbles pipe and give up your expert internet psychoanalysis and just speak for yourself, and what you understand (or I'd wager don't) about the situation as a personal opinion.

Exactly... I mean, its not like something like this happened to say Digg.

http://www.google.com/trends/explor...tive#q=Reddit alternative&cmpt=q&tz=Etc/GMT+5

Yeahhhhh, the internet indicates that you're one of the few Pao supporters online.

The point that apparently flew over your head while you were busy trying to ducman69 some sort of arguable position out of my post is that no matter what happens, no one will give a crap about this in a few weeks and it'll be yet another meaningless expression of internet outrage by an irrelevant group of nobodies that only exists as a unified thing for as long as the community they're trying to destroy exists. But that's complex and hard to understand when your world revolves around presuming that everyone else is just as mindlessly polarized as you are so have some cookies and milk and continue to wave your little imaginary protester sign while the rest of the world pays you no mind.

The point that apparently flew over your head while you were busy trying to ducman69 some sort of arguable position out of my post is that no matter what happens, no one will give a crap about this in a few weeks and it'll be yet another meaningless expression of internet outrage by an irrelevant group of nobodies that only exists as a unified thing for as long as the community they're trying to destroy exists. But that's complex and hard to understand when your world revolves around presuming that everyone else is just as mindlessly polarized as you are so have some cookies and milk and continue to wave your little imaginary protester sign while the rest of the world pays you no mind.
Hah! So much butthurt... and what community are Redditors trying to destroy? It sounds REALLY damn specific to me, that most people just want your Comrad Pao gone. That's all. You know, the one you kept supporting before in her censorship and banning spree, because she was cleaning up the vile Redditors that you can't stand... hmmm, sounds like you care, a lot, just that you don't like the fact that its now up to 131K signatures, and growing exponentially?

Look, if you just don't care about the Reddit community in general and are just annoyed that you are temporarily inconvenienced by having a favorite subreddit unavailable... ok, seems a little childish to me, but I can get that. You have in the past though made it clear you support Pao's policies, so cmon now.

I just love how they sulk and flounce around like Scarlett O’Hara whenever something happens on the site they don’t like. Forever threatening to leave, and never seeming to get around to it. Filling the site with pictures and memes connecting the CEO to Hitler, and seeming genuinely surprised that this doesn’t get their demands met. They seem to think that they’re shareholders rather than consumers, and this puzzles me to no end.

doubt she will be forced out. what you just described sounds like a "good" CEO. I'm not one, don't want to be one, and wouldn't envy one in any case, but turning something from a "casual/fun environment" into a monetized

They won't be monetizing shit if people leave because she's still around.

I just love how they sulk and flounce around like Scarlett O’Hara whenever something happens on the site they don’t like. Forever threatening to leave, and never seeming to get around to it.
They already did, they were mostly Digg users who bitched about the management changes there which fell on deaf ears and as a last resort it was abandoned. Digg went from being valued at 165 million with tons of traffic to just recently selling for under half a million with a tiny fraction of its previous userbase.

"Reddit alternative" as I had shown on google search trends is on a geometric increase since Pao took over, and alternative sites to Reddit are seeing huge upticks in traffic.

In fact, Voat is a Reddit alternative, and they have had such a massive influx of users since this Ellen Pao debacle that their website finally crashed and this is what it shows right now:
Voat is under extremely heavy load.
We are working around the clock to scale our infrastructure in order to accomodate new users.

We will be back as soon as the fires are out. Maaaaah. (goat sound)
If Ellen Pao isn't removed from office, its just a matter of time before another host builds up the capacity to take Reddits place and there will be a mass exodus at once, just like happened with Digg.

Like rats fleeing their nest to find a new sewer to take over and inhabit.

Back