PETA and Hunting Groups Face Off Over Drone Rights

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
PETA and hunters and drones, Oh My! One would expect the first big flap over the use of drones would be contained to the protection of personal privacy of the US citizen. Not the case here. Hunters have taken up the call to put a stop to PETA’s Air Angels program that monitors the actions of game hunters.

"If they spot any illegal activity, PETA members are advised to report it to a local game warden and not take any further action themselves.

Problem solved..

drone-hunting-permit.jpg

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2013/07/21/colorado_town_to_considers_drone_hunting_licenses/

:D

PETA are morons for sure, many game hunters are every bit as bad. Somehow I think these drones were more about harassment than observation, call me crazy, but PETA would never be satisfied to simply observe and report hunters breaking the law.

The drone thing is absolutely idiotic. Anything you fire up at a 45o angle is going to come down at a 45o angle, and with the small arms fire available to regular citizenry, the only RC aircraft that are NOT likely to be in harms way are the government ones, as they can afford the big daddies that fly far to fast and high to be a target.

And I'd like to meet the jackass redneck that shoots down my aerial photography platform so I can shove his shotgun up his rectum and then give him the bill to compensate me.

This was just typical "feel good" legislation, accomplishes absolutely nothing in deterring Uncle Sam from monitoring everyone, while making idiots with guns feel empowered. And the government probably loves it, as this shuts the people up in getting real political pressure behind stopping it.

And regarding PETA, while these guys are generally too extreme and full of crap, if all they are doing is monitoring illegal activity and not intervening in any way, that's not only their right but a good thing. If instead they are using drones to monitor hunters and frighten away animals in range of the hunters by dive bombing and the like, that's a different story.

The drone thing is absolutely idiotic. Anything you fire up at a 45o angle is going to come down at a 45o angle, and with the small arms fire available to regular citizenry, the only RC aircraft that are NOT likely to be in harms way are the government ones, as they can afford the big daddies that fly far to fast and high to be a target.

And I'd like to meet the jackass redneck that shoots down my aerial photography platform so I can shove his shotgun up his rectum and then give him the bill to compensate me.

This was just typical "feel good" legislation, accomplishes absolutely nothing in deterring Uncle Sam from monitoring everyone, while making idiots with guns feel empowered. And the government probably loves it, as this shuts the people up in getting real political pressure behind stopping it.

And regarding PETA, while these guys are generally too extreme and full of crap, if all they are doing is monitoring illegal activity and not intervening in any way, that's not only their right but a good thing. If instead they are using drones to monitor hunters and frighten away animals in range of the hunters by dive bombing and the like, that's a different story.

I'm sorry but if I'm legally hunting and a drone is chasing away my game I'll happily shoot it the fuck down and just as happily shove it up some tree-huggers ass when they confront me about it.

yup -- I can see some jackass PETA retard putting some super sonic "game scaring" device on a drone and using it to scare away legal game.

I'd have no problem shooting it down and laughing the whole time I did it. I'm not sure what PETA people like to do for fun but just imagine I show up and shit all over it just because I "believe" in something. Are they just going to sit there and take it?

While I'm all for monitoring for illegal hunting. It should be done BY THE AUTHORITIES, not by JoeBob AnotherCitizen.

ESPECIALLY not by one of these PETA nutbags. As CollegeBoy69US said, I can see them putting on supersonic whistles and the like, as well as engaging in divebombing to scare off legitimate game.

Were I actually a hunter, legitimate or not, I'd be bagging myself one of these bastards too.

I want to see PETA using Kamikaze tactic on hunters, just because this is definitely coming.
Next up, PETA members arm those drones with grenades, molotov cocktails and so forth, and reality ensues.

Hunting != Poaching. The vast majority of hunters are not lawbreakers. Stay out of my shit, and I'll stay out of yours. Hunting helps control populations of species that would otherwise spiral out of control. PETA themselves kill animals that are suffering..

Curious as to what kind of drone PETA has.

The only consumer level observation drone I'm aware of is the dehogaflier. Even then it's mostly because of the onboard FLIR (Expensive!!!). Any other camera wouldn't be able to make out anything in the grass. I fly FPV and I have to be careful when flying low because it's very easy to miss someone that's kneeling.

On another note. What constitutes illegal hunting? I'm not a hunter so I honestly don't know what the definition is. But I assume there are hunter free zones, in which case, there shouldn't be any hunters in the area to shoot it down in the first place?

Am I the only one who thinks it would be hysterical to see these PETA chump get the Deliverance treatment from a pissed off redneck with a high powered rifle?

Am I the only one who thinks it would be hysterical to see these PETA chump get the Deliverance treatment from a pissed off redneck with a high powered rifle?

In concept yeah.

Actually realized? Probably not.

PETA has been found responsible for its own share of animal cruelty on numerous occasions. They're nothing but hypocritical extremist psychopaths. I doubt their use of drones will be within the law, and if they fly drones over someone's private land the landowner has every right to shoot it down.

@Ducman69: #8 shot has a short range and can be fired upward safely over large farmland and wooded areas. That's all that would be necessary to knock down an illegally operated drone. I'd also like to see you try to shove a shotgun up someone's ass on their own property. Good luck explaining to the sheriff at the hospital why you were shot in self-defense.

In concept yeah.

Actually realized? Probably not.

You're right.
I'd love to hear the story, some unwashed hippie crying to the camera on Fox news.
I'd rather not be there when it happened, just in case the hippie or his prized sheep gets away.

Didn't PETA have a whaling show type thing where they boarded ships? You are decieving yourself if you don't think they would try and brain someone with a drone.

While I'm all for monitoring for illegal hunting. It should be done BY THE AUTHORITIES, not by JoeBob AnotherCitizen.

ESPECIALLY not by one of these PETA nutbags. As CollegeBoy69US said, I can see them putting on supersonic whistles and the like, as well as engaging in divebombing to scare off legitimate game.

Were I actually a hunter, legitimate or not, I'd be bagging myself one of these bastards too.

Who watches the watchers then?

@Ducman69: #8 shot has a short range and can be fired upward safely over large farmland and wooded areas. That's all that would be necessary to knock down an illegally operated drone.

That kinda proves his point. The ones you're going to watch out for will be flying too high to get shot down.

It's Dwone Season!

wede.jpg

My apologies for the writing, I suck at drawing freehand text

That kinda proves his point. The ones you're going to watch out for will be flying too high to get shot down.

A lot of hunting takes place in vast wooded areas, so how is a higher altitude drone going to spot anything at all?

Too much wilderness and too many hunters (generally sitting still in camo) for them to monitor.. not to mention the numerous seasons and game laws that are different in every state. Dumb drone idea is dumb and will only be used to harass the law-abiding.

And I'm betting the 1 unlicensed poacher they do successfully catch and prosecute turns out to be poor and was actually hunting illegally to feed his family.

Citizens are legitimate authorities in the legal monitoring of other citizens. Im not saying these PETA guys are acting legally, only that private citizens can and do act to enforce the law every single day.

I'm sorry but if I'm legally hunting and a drone is chasing away my game I'll happily shoot it the fuck down and just as happily shove it up some tree-huggers ass when they confront me about it.
Like I said, that's a different scenario.

But you could certainly tell from altitude if someone has set up feed stations or are using spotlights or other illegal hunting practices, and unlike a police force these are volunteers so it doesn't cost tax payers a dime.

More importantly, if its not private property, there is also no right of hunters to control all airspace as it belongs to everyone, this isn't a government organization, and there's no expectation of privacy when hunting on public land. And the hunting group says there hasn't been a single claim to date by any hunter that a drone was used to chase away game.

Flown at altitude, the animals should be completely oblivious to the small electric drones. I fly RC and they simply don't make enough noise. Like I said though, if there was a complaint that a drone was being abused to chase away game, that's another matter, and legal action could be taken against the operator. So far, that hasn't been an issue.

I have to disagree that I would be more accepting of this if it were the government. Then we're talking about appropriation of tax dollars which will likely be misused and the question of who has access to this information... after all, first they would say the equipment was purchased to stop illegal hunting practices, but then the FBI gets permission to use them for who knows what with a warrant.

Private citizens doing crap on their free time costing us not one penny is fine by me.
Hunting != Poaching. The vast majority of hunters are not lawbreakers. Stay out of my shit, and I'll stay out of yours. Hunting helps control populations of species that would otherwise spiral out of control. PETA themselves kill animals that are suffering..
Most yes, but there are a LOT of stupid rednecks with guns that get very drunk and because they are out in the boons have absolutely no respect for the law or common decency.

Isn't it a bad idea to shoot upwards? I don't know, won't the bullet land somewhere totally out of control? What kind of range does a hunting rifle has, provided you aim upwards?

Weapon ignorant here, and thus why I'm asking. Always wondered what happens when you shoot upwards... I mean, whether people has been accidentally killed like that before ...

If you fire PERFECTLY straight up, its not quite as bad as the bullet should come to a complete stop and then tumble and fall at its terminal velocity, which can still be enough to kill someone though if it falls right.

Much more dangerous is shooting at a 45o angle, as the bullet will not come to a complete stop and will just fall in an arc and most likely still have plenty of rotational energy from a long rifle to keep spiraling in a controlled fashion and not tumble. I am positive that many people have died from this, although I'm not sure of exact statistics.

Oh, I soooo want to read of some jackass to damage/shoot down an gov't drone and have his ass get dragged off to jail.
Before those idiots start firing their guns at drones, they'd better consider the consequences of a stupid decision. IF and when those drones become common, they would have had to be authorized legally, within certain legal constraints.
I am not sure that shooting them down, somehow would be included in those regulations.

And the hunting group says there hasn't been a single claim to date by any hunter that a drone was used to chase away game.

Likely because it's near impossible :p Our general rule of thumb is to go up a foot for every 10 feet out so we don't break the Fresnel zone. So at 1km, once you start going below a hundred meters, your radio link breaks up. I can't even go down to treetop level at that distance, much less divebomb :eek:

I used to hunt, but stopped once I started getting shot at by drunken idiots with guns during deer hunting season.
The worst part was, that's family.

Pack your own shotgun shells with iron dust instead of pellets you can take down pretty much anything with in the fall off range.

I used to hunt, but stopped once I started getting shot at by drunken idiots with guns during deer hunting season.
The worst part was, that's family.

I went deer hunting during gun season once and only once on public land. Never again. I bought 40 acres of wooded hunting land to hunt on. The only person I let hunt on it is my father, I don't let the rest of my family hunt on it.

Pack your own shotgun shells with iron dust instead of pellets you can take down pretty much anything with in the fall off range.

the only real world use for these is in "door breaching" shotshells and they have an effective range of ~5feet, you would be better off trying to shoot down a drone with literally any other round, even a 22lr shotshell

F.Y.I. I am a certified firearms and bow hunter... to be a safe hunter, you must observe ALL game laws. These laws are necessary for three basic reasons:

1. To insure the safety and welfare of people.
2. To insure everyone equal opportunity to hunt.
3. To PROTECT and CONSERVE wildlife.

Your state laws can be obtained from any wildlife conservation officer. Places which sell hunting and fishing licenses also have copies. Many laws change from year to year, making it NECESSARY TO REVIEW THE LAWS EACH SEASON. Find out about laws and regulations before you go into the field.

PS... Smarta$$ deer hunters (like in the video) should avoid wearing white. ;)

Back