Personal top 10 Games of all time!

In no particular order. These are the games I spent playing the most at their respective time. I was 13 when I started to get into gaming. I'm 33 now.

Mario Kart 64
Mario 64
Goldeneye 64
Final Fantasy 10
Legend of Dragoon
Marvel vs Capcom 2 for the Dreamcast
Quake 3 arena for the Dreamcast then I moved onto the PC due to mods
World of WarCraft I started in 2005 and completely quit in 2011
Any of the Call of Duty game multiplayer. I guess I'm only one of a few who just likes playing mostly team death match lol
Overwatch which I currently play. Been playing since launch.

Honorable mention Diablo3. I never played a Diablo game so I tried D3 when it first launched. It was fun for a year and then on and off again for another year. Then I quit.

Man, this is going to be tough, I've played way too many games over the years. I'm going to try and pick based on how much time invested in, and youth wasted per title...

No Particular order other than alphabetical:

Deus-Ex: Human Revolution
Diablo II
Doom
Duke Nukem
GTA V
Mega-Man 2
Mortal Kombat 3
Motocross Madness 2
Road Rash (any of them technically, 3DO, Genesis, whatever)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Honorable Mentions:
Battlefield 1942: DC
Diablo
F.E.A.R.
Mafia
Max Payne 2
NBA Jam: Tournament Edition
Quake
Shadowrun Returns

Half Life 2
Xenogears
Suikoden
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario World
Resident Evil 2
Jet Set Radio Future
Max Payne 3 (I truly love the other games better for the story, but Max Payne 3 plays like a dream. It's the Tony Hawk of murder.)
Sonic Team Racing: Transformed (Other than the first Mario Kart, this is my favorite kart racer.)
Castlevania Circle of the Moon (Just wish the drops weren't as random.)

No particular order (and limiting to one per franchise)
1. Half Life 2
2. Morrowind
3. Dark Souls
4. Metal Gear Solid 3
5. Zelda Link to the Past
6. Witcher 3
7. Mass Effect 1-3 (cop out but I cannot pin down which is best, and best played all in a row)
8. Final Fantasy 7
9. Vampire the Masquerade Bloodline
10. Hitman Blood Money

Super Mario World
Doom II
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Mario 64
Starcraft
Skyrim
Titan Quest
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
Banjo-Kazooie
Starfox 64

In that order, give or take..

This was a lot harder than I thought.

1. The Duel: Test Drive II (C64) - Pushed the C64 hard, also had expansions. Kris Hatlelid did a hell of a job with the music, even though it's just one tune
2. Gunship (C64) - Trying to fly an Apache with a destroyed engine and a damaged rotor was a lot of fun
3. Wolfenstein 3D (PC) - The granddaddy of them all. And though many may disagree, I find shooting Nazis to be much more enjoyable than shooting demons
4. Doom II (PC) - I like all of the Doom games, but Doom II is probably my favorite. It had the perfect blend of single player, co-op and deathmatch gameplay.
5. Quake II (PC) - First game I ever played with a 3Dfx card. Seeing OpenGL rendering was mind blowing at the time. So much time spent online with this game on a dialup modem...
6. Need for Speed: High Stakes (PC) - Best of the Need for Speed series in my book. The fact that it can even be played on modern PCs (go here) is so awesome
7. Wing Commander: Privateer (PC) - Recently played this one again and beat both the main game and the Righteous Fire expansion... Such an addictive game
8. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (PC) - My favorite team based FPS. Lots of hours spent playing this one
9. Hexen (PC) - Best of the Heretic / Hexen anthology in my opinion. Best played as a co-op game
10. WWF No Mercy (N64) - Arguably the best multiplayer game on the N64 The engine for this game was old and tired when No Mercy was released, but this was a blast to play.

The last two games in the list are a stretch. I could probably swap those two out for several other games but I can't think of any right now.

Too many honorable mentions to name too.

1. Witcher 3
2. Dark Souls
3. Starcraft: Broodwar
4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
5. Mario 64
6. Dota 2
7. Counter-Strike
8. Chrono Cross
9. Final Fantasy VII / IX
10. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
10. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Close to my top 10, probably not exact

Edit: forgot MGS3 Snake Eater would be in my top 10 for sure. Skyrim can be 11.

Last edited:
This was a lot harder than I thought.

1. The Duel: Test Drive II (C64) - Pushed the C64 hard, also had expansions. Kris Hatlelid did a hell of a job with the music, even though it's just one tune
2. Gunship (C64) - Trying to fly an Apache with a destroyed engine and a damaged rotor was a lot of fun
3. Wolfenstein 3D (PC) - The granddaddy of them all. And though many may disagree, I find shooting Nazis to be much more enjoyable than shooting demons
4. Doom II (PC) - I like all of the Doom games, but Doom II is probably my favorite. It had the perfect blend of single player, co-op and deathmatch gameplay.
5. Quake II (PC) - First game I ever played with a 3Dfx card. Seeing OpenGL rendering was mind blowing at the time. So much time spent online with this game on a dialup modem...
6. Need for Speed: High Stakes (PC) - Best of the Need for Speed series in my book. The fact that it can even be played on modern PCs (go here) is so awesome
7. Wing Commander: Privateer (PC) - Recently played this one again and beat both the main game and the Righteous Fire expansion... Such an addictive game
8. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (PC) - My favorite team based FPS. Lots of hours spent playing this one
9. Hexen (PC) - Best of the Heretic / Hexen anthology in my opinion. Best played as a co-op game
10. WWF No Mercy (N64) - Arguably the best multiplayer game on the N64 The engine for this game was old and tired when No Mercy was released, but this was a blast to play.

The last two games in the list are a stretch. I could probably swap those two out for several other games but I can't think of any right now.

Too many honorable mentions to name too.
That's probably the most retro list I've seen so far. Makes me want to make a top 10 retro titles list as well.

I'm not seeing a lot of RPGs or Nintendo games on these lists other than zelda.

I'm not seeing a lot of RPGs or Nintendo games on these lists other than zelda.
I'm seeing quite a few lists with an RPG. For Nintendo, at least speaking for myself, Metroid Prime is pretty much the perfect game (it's why it takes the #1 spot on my list).

Here's mine. PC & consoles included. Fun is fun regardless of platform and are included based on how much fun I've had playing them.

10. Mass Effect 2 (PC)
9. Tetris (Original Gameboy)
8. Super Mario Bros (NES)
7. Excite Bike (NES)
6. Duke Nukem 3D (PC)
5. Worms World Party (PC)
4. Goldeneye (n64)
3. Total Annihilation (original PC)
2. Starcraft (PC)
1. Unreal Tournament (PC GOTY edition) <-- without a doubt my #1

system shock 2
quake
duke 3d
doom 1/2
descent 1/2
tmnt turtles in time
final fantasy 2
xenosaga series
megaman legends 1/2

in no order:

Descent
Unreal Tournament
Tribes
Quake
Factorio
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Everquest
TES3 Morrowind
Final Fantasy Tactics
Tie Fighter

10 - Metal Gear Solid
9 - Fallout 3 (GOTY)
8 - Duke Nukem 3D
7 - Final Fantasy 8
6 - The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (GOTY)
5 - Knights of the Old Republic
4 - Resident Evil 3
3 - Final Fantasy 9
2 - Resident Evil 2
1 - Battlefield 4

Battlefield bad company 2 and Battlefield 3 took me off single player games, I don't yet have Battlefield 1 but still play the very populated Battlefield 4 servers, after all the teething issues it still remains the best in the series.

Honourable mentions:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R
Command and Conquer Red Alert (box edition)
Doom 2 (for the co-op)
Arma 2
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Resident Evil 5 (the co-op) mode was addictive.

Note, these are not necessarily best in series, just the ones that have had most impact for me

Serious Sam : SE
Battlefield Bad Company 2
MGSV:TPP
Half-Life
Kerbal Space Program
Dark Souls
Gothic 3
Oblivion
Fallout 3
Painkiller

If going to vintage days Golden Axe, Double Dragon, Shinobi Ninja and Wrestlemania were absolute gold.

A game i liked but not sure how it was accepted was Oddworld: Abe's exodus.

Oblivion gave me really bad Nausea I tossed the game in the Trash for the 360 or PS3 version.
I actually just played Oblivion for the first time a couple weeks ago and the first thing I installed from Nexus Mods was a no bob when running. Immediately made it a lot better. I will say that I enjoyed Oblivion a lot more than Skyim because I played Skyrim right after and there are a lot of things that Oblivion did a lot better than Skyrim.

Doing mine by series and using #10 for misc. At this point in my life, I don't think I can give a hard-set top ten anymore. Too many good games have been, and continue to be played. :D

System Shock Games
Ultima Games
Zelda Games
Mario Games
Quake Games
Doom Games
Sierra Adventure Games
Deus Ex Games
Castlevania Games
Other Games (including things like Chrono Trigger, Turrican, Metroid, Amiga and C64 games, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Diablo 2
Warcraft 3 for the mods, I'll lump Dota 2 in with this.
Super Metroid
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VII
Path of Exile
Fallout 4
Skyrim
Suikoden III
Super Mario RPG

Mega-Man 2
Mortal Kombat 3
Final Fantasy VII
Castlevania Games
Command and Conquer Red Alert
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Counter Strike
Special Force
Crossfire
Super Mario RPG

Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy Tactics
Quake 1
Doom 1
Deus Ex 1
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Theif: The Dark Project
Metro 2033
ICO
Odin Sphere

10-20 may all be from snes :p

Last edited:
In no particular order.

1. Syphon Filter - three words (Gabriel Fucking Logan)

2. Counter-strike 1.0 (essentially the game that kick started my career in online game play)

3. Medal of Honor Allied Assault - no War game has influenced my interest in Ww2 so much than this game)

4. World of Warcraft - the best digital adventure I've ever had was when I played to level cap for my first time.

5. Witcher 3 - this game is full of quality in basically every aspect of the game.

6. NBA Jam - hands down the most fun I've ever had playing a death match sports game.

7. MLB: The Show - Truly the best baseball series ever made. And I've pretty much played them all.

8. Company of Heroes- probably the best RTS game still to this day.

9. Star Wars Galaxies(Vanilla) - the locations, the sounds, the game play, the options, SWG was the shiznit. How could you not love stumbling upon Jabba's Palace by accident??

10.Diablo 2:LOD - hardcore mode is where it's at. Great loot, great fun, and challenging.

Last edited:
Just in order that they come to mind...

Deus Ex
Doom/Doom2
Age of Empires 2
WoW
Skyrim
Fallout 3
Crysis
Starcraft/Broodwar
Defense Grid
UT99

If I thought about it for a while some on the list may be bumped by others.

Back