Personal, semi/portable, surround-sound option?

Ashton

2[H]4U
I've tried some of the "real surround sound" headphones in stores (and read reviews) and have been very... unimpressed... likewise I've seen wacky "gimmick" products like the Sennheiser Surrounder that seem to work well (though with rather glaring caveats)

Has anyone found a portable single-person surround-sound system that works? I'm specifically looking for something somewhat mobile because (1) I have two locations I'd want to use this in, (b) I may be moving in ~6 months (provided 'the virus' doesn't bring about the apocalypse ;) ) and really don't want to install speaker wires in the walls to have to rip out 4-5 months later, and third, due to the bizarre throw distance of my projector (for a 100" screen the projector is ~4 feet back and 5 feet up...) and the size of the room, it's almost impossible to set up seating with proper surround-sound "aiming" and still see the screen...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I don't have experience with them, but there are many wireless surround speakers/systems on the market. Many still need power cords for the individual speakers but not signal wires, and that can be of some help. Others are "completely" wireless when in use but the speakers need to be routinely charged (with a wire of course).

maybe something like the creative x3 and a decent set of headphones.

Dont get me wrong, that X3 looks cool, but... I'm looking at hooking up to an "android" projector (its running android but it has a launcher that doesn't give me direct access to the system and I'm too lazy to try and hack it when I can just plug in my phone to HDMI and run DEX with a handheld wireless mouse-keyboard) and a Vizio Smart TV (no clue if it has some flavor of android or a custom system under the hood). So I highly doubt the X3 would be compatible...

I don't have experience with them, but there are many wireless surround speakers/systems on the market. Many still need power cords for the individual speakers but not signal wires, and that can be of some help. Others are "completely" wireless when in use but the speakers need to be routinely charged (with a wire of course).

Power cords I can deal with, though sitting in the corner of the room with the projector in the center on a "stand" of plastic milk crates makes it hard to position the speakers... (of course if all else fails I may just say screw it and mount the projector to the ceiling) and still trying to rearrange to find a really good place for the TV (I got a little too excited for my stimulus check and both a TV that honestly is arguably too big unless I do some major rearranging --- which I am working on) though in that case, the wireless speakers might work, will look into them, thanks!

Dont get me wrong, that X3 looks cool, but... I'm looking at hooking up to an "android" projector (its running android but it has a launcher that doesn't give me direct access to the system and I'm too lazy to try and hack it when I can just plug in my phone to HDMI and run DEX with a handheld wireless mouse-keyboard) and a Vizio Smart TV (no clue if it has some flavor of android or a custom system under the hood). So I highly doubt the X3 would be compatible...
was assuming there was a computer somewhere in the mix. so my new answer is, no.

Check out something with Dolby headphone that can handle a 5.1 digital input. I have a wireless set from Panasonic that uses a transmitter plugged into the optical out of any game system/blu ray player/pc. It’s all a bit dated now that Bluetooth has taken over, but I haven’t found a good substitute yet that does surround sound. Creative labs has a surround sound gadget but it seems more focused on mobile and music.

Back