Permanently mount a Windows share in Mint-MATE ???

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Looking for instructions on how to do this THAT ACTUALLY WORK.

TIA :)

EDIT - In researching my problem I stumbled upon a discussion in another forum that says Samba is not installed by default in Mint-MATE. If this is true then how am I able to browse the network just fine sometimes and sometimes not? This is why I want to permanently mount //Media. I need it to be available to the Linux box all the time, not just when it feels like it. :(

YAE - I checked and Samba is not installed.

Screenshot at 2018-04-27 12-37-23.png

Last edited:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install samba

To make sure samba installed:

whereis samba

should output:

samba: /usr/sbin/samba /usr/lib/samba /etc/samba /usr/share/samba /usr/share/man/man7/samba.7.gz /usr/share/man/man8/samba.8.gz

Once this is done you can browse to network shares via the GUI using the file manager by going to 'Connect To Server', otherwise you can edit smb.conf via terminal. If you want to make the share permanent you need to create a directory as a mount point under /media and edit fstab, literally no different to OSX. Alternatively, once you've navigated the share you can add it to bookmarks under your file manager if you aren't comfortable with fstab.

Alternatively, you can dump Mint as a distro. I have no idea why you find it so difficult to find instructionals? Are you searching for Ubuntu based advice as the distro you're running is based on Ubuntu and all advice for Ubuntu will relate to your chosen distro.

EDIT: At the bottom of the file manager's 'Places' pane there should be the option to Browse Network as opposed to using the Connect To Server option.

Last edited:
You don't need samba to browse for shares.

Samba is a server to make local directories visible to SMB.

All you need is cifs drivers to mount a SMB share from another machine and to browse . A cifs aware application

You don't need samba to browse for shares.

Samba is a server to make local directories visible to SMB.

All you need is cifs drivers to mount a SMB share from another machine and to browse . A cifs aware application

This is a valid point, I didn't even think of that! Having said that, I'm sure years ago when I ran Mint samba was installed by default?

This is a valid point, I didn't even think of that! Having said that, I'm sure years ago when I ran Mint samba was installed by default?
Yeah, these days samba isn't required for accessing shares. On Ubuntu based distros you just need the cifs-utils package.
Code:
sudo apt install cifs-utils
After that you can add lines to /etc/fstab as needed. The reason cifs-utils isn't included by default anymore is because of the, in my opinion misguided, decision to rely on gvfs/kio (depends on DE) for handling shares. The problem I have with this, is gvfs/kio unaware applications are a nightmare when dealing with shares. Case and point, try mounting a share via dolphin in KDE/Plasma and then opening a video with VLC from said share. No worky worky.

Sorry for the belated update. I solved my problem by sharing folders via Remmina. Works like a champ.

Glad you got t sorted out, however the procedure used to mount shares is really no different to the procedure used under Windows. You should be able to open your file manager, go to 'Browse Network', click on the machine with the share, click on the share itself, enter the username and password (assuming there is one) and everything should just work.

Once this is done you add the share to bookmarks and you're good to go.

Glad you got t sorted out, however the procedure used to mount shares is really no different to the procedure used under Windows. You should be able to open your file manager, go to 'Browse Network', click on the machine with the share, click on the share itself, enter the username and password (assuming there is one) and everything should just work.

Once this is done you add the share to bookmarks and you're good to go.

This works until you reboot the computer. in Windows, once you map a share it becomes permanently available whether Windows Explorer can see it or not and this mapping remains after a reboot. This is what I need. Yes, I can mount the drive if Linux can see it. The main problem is that both Linux and Windows file browsers only show network shares when they feel like it, even when I can ping it, connect to it remotely, Hell, even mapping it by name works. Problem is with the Browsers. I've long since given up trying to sort this problem out because all I've ever gotten were guesses and none of them worked. Right now all my network is showing but there are no guarantees they'll be there if I reboot the box. Aggravating when I need to access a network file. :arghh:

This works until you reboot the computer. in Windows, once you map a share it becomes permanently available whether Windows Explorer can see it or not and this mapping remains after a reboot. This is what I need. Yes, I can mount the drive if Linux can see it. The main problem is that both Linux and Windows file browsers only show network shares when they feel like it, even when I can ping it, connect to it remotely, Hell, even mapping it by name works. Problem is with the Browsers. I've long since given up trying to sort this problem out because all I've ever gotten were guesses and none of them worked. Right now all my network is showing but there are no guarantees they'll be there if I reboot the box. Aggravating when I need to access a network file. :arghh:

If you add the share to bookmarks you don't need to map it every time. Likewise, you can create a mount point and add the share to fstab.

However it sounds like you have bigger issues with hard drive shares beyond simply mapping them in the OS of your choosing?

If you add the share to bookmarks you don't need to map it every time. Likewise, you can create a mount point and add the share to fstab.

However it sounds like you have bigger issues with hard drive shares beyond simply mapping them in the OS of your choosing?

Adding the share to bookmarks did indeed work. Thank you sir.

As for the bigger issues, I've had them for many years and have yet to find an answer. I assume that adding a share to bookmarks is the same as mapping a drive in Windows, i.e. the share will still be available even if the browser proper doesn't see it...... I hope.

Adding the share to bookmarks did indeed work. Thank you sir.

As for the bigger issues, I've had them for many years and have yet to find an answer. I assume that adding a share to bookmarks is the same as mapping a drive in Windows, i.e. the share will still be available even if the browser proper doesn't see it...... I hope.

Excellent! Glad I could be of assistance.

Once that share is added to bookmarks, assuming there is no actual networking or protocol issue with the share, every time you double click that icon your share will be there quickly and easily. I use the feature every single day. ;)

Yep, it survived the night so all appears well. :)

This issue has always been strictly with file browsers. Never with networking per se. As I said, I can ping the share, I can remote into it and I can even map it manually.

Back