Performance upgrades with XP 64 bit over 32 bit with a 64 bit system?

WCES Ryan

Gawd
Does anybody here run a 64 bit system and have noticed an increase in performance over the 32 bit version of the OS?

I am working on a new build and have a copy of XP I can use, but if I wanted the 64-bit version I would have to shell out the money to buy it, so of course I need to know if there is any substantial gain in performance to justify the cost..

Comments?

I'm pretty sure this has been hashed over before. I'm running x64 right now, and honestly, I'm finding it to be an enormous pain. There just aren't enough 64bit apps right now IMO, and whatever performance gain (at best, very little) is had by 32bit emulation isn't worth the sheer lack of application flexibility. I'm going to be switching back to XP Pro 32 soon. Of course, YMMV.

As mentioned, just do a search, and you will find more threads than you'd care to sift through. Pretty much every topic has been asked and discussed ad nauseum regarding XP 64 already.

In brief: Do your hardware homework. Download the 120 day trial. Dual boot. If you don't like it, you'll already have 32 bit installed. Edit the boot ini and you're done with 64 bit.

I use it exclusively, but it all depends on your personal requirements....

What are your personal requirements? What do you use it for that is a benefit to you?

I'm a graphic designer. I built this to dual boot and run 64 bit to test the waters for future upgrades in my department (I manage 10 designers at a newspaper). We're using most of the modern newspaper design apps.... CS suite, Acrobat, Quark... pretty much anything that creates 2D content. I expected to dabble here and there with 64 bit, since none of the applications we run are compiled for it. But within a coupla weeks of installing 64 bit I stopped using XP Pro altogether, although it's good to be able to boot to it in the rare occasion when I need to run something that won't work in 64 bit. The hardware issues are real, but surmountable for me. I needed a new scanner, so I replaced my Umax firewire with an Epson 3170, which is a much better scanner. I found workaround drivers for our Xante and Konica printers. They're clunky, but work well enough for proofing pages.

There are certainly some tradeoffs with 64 bit. Manufacturers have been painfully slow in driver development, but it's starting to pick up. If you want to play a flash animation you need to open the 32 bit IE since 64 bit IE doesn't support many extensions.

There's no compelling reason for the average user to switch to 64 bit Windows... but most of those who like it will tell you that it is fast and stable. It's only the slow software development that keeps it an enthusiast's OS. For the things I do every day under multiple deadlines, 64 bit is very reliable. Of course the 3800X2 crankin' smoothly along at 2.54ghz is a big factor, but the OS complements it very nicely.

You have nothing to lose if you dual boot, except the cost of the OEM license if you decide you like the trial. If not, just wipe it from your system after 4 months.

not worth it right now. i actually shelled out the money to buy x64 and i was very unhappy. micro$oft DOESN'T EVEN SUPPORT THEIR OWN OS on their hardware. i got nothing but headaches, and some BSODs. i've since switched back to 32-bit. i'm so happy.

Dennis Gordon said:
There's no compelling reason for the average user to switch to 64 bit Windows... but most of those who like it will tell you that it is fast and stable. It's only the slow software development that keeps it an enthusiast's OS. For the things I do every day under multiple deadlines, 64 bit is very reliable. Of course the 3800X2 crankin' smoothly along at 2.54ghz is a big factor, but the OS complements it very nicely.

QFT

I use x64 as my only Windows OS and I have no problems with it beyond what I had with XP Pro 32bit....but I knew what I was getting into and made sure I had support for all the things I wanted and if there wasn't found alternatives. A lot of people don't do this and they end up with a sour taste in their mouth. So generally....I sadly recommend people not use x64. However, if someone really wants to and does their legwork and is used to really big changes in OS on a compatibility side then it is a great OS.

i run it. seems pretty quick and snappy compared to my old setup running xp pro. some apps i use dont work "correctly" on it. i use talisman shell and replaced the regular shell, and it runs good but there are some wierd things that dont work good.
but overall certain appz that seem to do cpu intensive stuff run smoother and slightly faster.
ive never had a system open photoshop cs in under 10 seconds before

I think im going to barf if I see another one of these threads. Hasnt this been asked, and answered, many times before?

ask me microsoft has simply used xp 64 as a testing ground for the upcomeing vista, and it should be a totally free os

Shane said:
ask me microsoft has simply used xp 64 as a testing ground for the upcomeing vista, and it should be a totally free os
It was free to anyone who had a valid XP Pro 32 bit license, if I remember correctly.

djnes said:
It was free to anyone who had a valid XP Pro 32 bit license, if I remember correctly.

Yes it was (actually I may have paid 12 bucks for media and shipping.....can't remember now). That is how I got (one of)mine. Only problem is it kills the XP Pro so no going back.

bob said:
I think im going to barf if I see another one of these threads. Hasnt this been asked, and answered, many times before?
Almost as many times as:
What do you think of my new [Rig] [Mobo] [PSU] [Memory] [Case] [Girfriend]?
Show me your benchmarks
How do I format my new HD?
How do I dual boot?
Why is my 150G HD only 146G?
AMD or Intel?
DFI or Asus?

...ad nauseum
We're all noobs about something at one time or another. Sometimes a bit of googling or a forum search is all you need. Other times it's easier to toss out the same question again, especially in a highly trafficked area like [HF]. There's never a shortage of advice here, which is why I hang out, even when it's the same old thing. If you think this is bad, check out the microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup. Some very patient souls answer the same 3 questions over and over. The helpfulness and lack of sarcasm there impresses me... even when someone wants to know if they can run 64 bit on their P3...

Back