Performance-pc customer service is a joke

BababooeyHTJ

Supreme [H]ardness
Well, I ordered a couple of Koolance 7970 waterblocks from performance-pc. Sadly one of them came defective. The four screws around the gpu don't screw in as far as the other block which works fine. It causes a crappy mount and high temps. There was also a nice scratch across the top of the block. Shit happens, that isn't their fault.

What is their fault is the response that I got when I sent in an rma request for a replacement. They pretty much just sent me a link to Koolance and told me to go through them. Really? I paid performance-pc for a working block which I never got.

This is only the second order that I've ever placed with performance-pc. I've avoided them for years just due to their reputation on the forums which apparently is true.

Edit

They're still directing me to the manufacturer but they are handling the process at the moment. It would have been nice if they had offered to begin with. The cs rep that I have been speaking with has been very kind and courteous and does respond very quickly. I probably spoke a little too soon.

Yeah, I'm actually pretty impressed with how they ended up handling things. Performance-pcs does seem like a stand up company.

Last edited:
From their terms and conditions:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...nginfo&zenid=b0b0e180f6c226fde0ad0394acfa4eca

If you are not satisfied with your component purchase, you must contact us within 3 business days of delivery to be eligible for a refund or exchange. THERE WILL BE ABSOLUTELY NO REFUND OR EXCHANGE OF ANY CUSTOM SLEEVED POWER SUPPLY, MODIFIED CASE, custom made to order items or any custom modified part that is no longer a stock ! This includes custom made cables, sleeved hardware other then single wired hardware (ie. fans) and vinyl dyed drives. We also cannot accept back any water cooled parts, water cooled kits, or any heatsinks that are used or have been installed. If you have a defect or problem with a installed water cooled part then the support and RMA must be direct through the manufacturer.

TBH that's pretty lame, but you can't blame them too much if they're following their own stated policy.

The hell, I can't. I've never had another company tell me that I need to go through the manufacturer for a DOA item. Thats why I've never used them before other than an order of fan screws before. The company has an awful reputation and stuff like this is why. I've avoided them for years.

I'm sure that paypal will side with me. ;)

Avoid Xoxide too then, I remember there being at least another company that has a similar policy but can't remember the name...

Xoxide:
Returns will not be accepted for any of the following: ... water-cooling products (including but not limited to kits, cases, blocks, reservoirs, pumps, radiators, tubing, and coolant)... Defective water-cooling products and heat sinks should be returned to the original manufacturer.

edit: just want to be clear, I'm just saying it's not the first I've heard of a policy like that. Doesn't change the fact that it's a lame policy to have :)

I've had good luck with Xoxide. Their customer service has been good to me and I've placed quite a few orders through them. I also haven't heard any horror stories about Xoxide like I have about performance pc.

You don't know that a place like Xoxide is as rigid with that policy as performance-pc apparently is.

Go back through your emails that they sent you and figure out who it was that packed and checked your order. I'd talk to them on the phone and call out that person directly instead of holding a grudge against the whole company, or getting involved with pay-pal refunds.

Put 2 orders through them myself recently, mostly fans and stuff. Though I did order a chipset heatsink from xigmatek. Turns out they didn't have it in stock but called and okay it being shipped directly from the manufacturer instead.

I've ordered a good bit of stuff from P-pcs, usually because they are the cheapest, once shipping is added in, but they are known for god-awful customer service. You'll probably get better service from Koolance.

I think the real lesson learned here though is this: buy Heatkiller :D

The guy that packaged the order did a good job. It was a sealed box.

I contacted performance-pc and they gave me the finger and told me to go through someone else. Of course I'm going to hold a grudge.

I've ordered a good bit of stuff from P-pcs, usually because they are the cheapest, once shipping is added in, but they are known for god-awful customer service. You'll probably get better service from Koolance.

I think the real lesson learned here though is this: buy Heatkiller :D

Yeah, I really am kicking myself for not ordering the Heatkiller. Its such a nice block.

I sent an email to Koolance a couple of days ago actually. Still no reply.

I'ved used Koolance support before and had an RMA with them. It went much smoother than I expected.

PPC sucks. I ordered some SLI fittings from them once and they sent me a different brand (even though they were technically the same item, but I don't support this particular brand) and in addition to that the item had been opened before. Anybody who will order from them is a fool.

Frozencpu is fucking awesome IMO for watercooling gear. Xoxide I've had no issues but Performance-PC's tried to gouge me on shipping.

They're still directing me to the manufacturer but they are handling the process at the moment. It would have been nice if they had offered to begin with. The cs rep that I have been speaking with has been very kind and courteous and does respond very quickly. I probably spoke a little too soon.

Sidewinder and jab-tech are excellent alternatives. Both have absolutely fantastic customer service, which is why I keep going back to them.

I had a bad experience with performance-pcs awhile back as well...I ordered quite a few things through them over the years with no issues at all but then 1 time they forgot to sleeve some cables and the boss or manager told me it was my mistake and told me it is something simple that I should be able to do myself...I told him that was not the point since I wanted them to do it and even showed him my order notes which specifically stated that...he eventually said I could mail it back and he would do it but that guy was crazy rude...I chalked it off to an isolated bad experience but either way I try to avoid them nowadays

Sidewinder PC is the best company I have ordered watercooling products from. I have bought 3 cases from Performance PCS and 1 of the cases was a Phobya case that was delivered DOA, and they directed me to Phobya to get it fixed. Shipping was going to cost around $100.00 to ship to Phobya because PPC wouldn't exchange mine for a working unit.

They don't stock everything they sell either, so when you order a case or something, they usually drop ship it. That's fine, but I count on having my items in 2 days because of how close they are to me, and when they drop ship something, it takes a week. They should really advertise about the drop shipping before someone buys.

All in all, I do not order from them, unless I absolutely have to. Sidewinder is my go to company for watercooling gear.

I wouldn't put much faith and hopes in Sidewinder Computers either. I ordered 2 scythe S-Flex fans in July and it took them 10 days just to mail out the fans. Needless to say I think I am done ordering stuff from that company.

It's weird cause I've been ordering things from them over the last five years and have never had an experience like that. I've had some order issues (being shipped something different then what I ordered, once I had an item that wasn't shipped with the rest, a damaged item once) and they've always been nice and courteous with me. Granted, I've been the same with them as well..... I've even been contacted by Hank directly and gotten an apology for any screw ups in my order (which wasn't needed, it really surprised me when he did).

They've even gotten me items that they didn't carry at the time, including replacement case parts. Shit, pretty much every part I've asked for they started carrying like a few months later.

It's weird cause I've been ordering things from them over the last five years and have never had an experience like that. I've had some order issues (being shipped something different then what I ordered, once I had an item that wasn't shipped with the rest, a damaged item once) and they've always been nice and courteous with me. Granted, I've been the same with them as well..... I've even been contacted by Hank directly and gotten an apology for any screw ups in my order (which wasn't needed, it really surprised me when he did).

They've even gotten me items that they didn't carry at the time, including replacement case parts. Shit, pretty much every part I've asked for they started carrying like a few months later.

Ive never had a bad experience with PPC's either but hanks actions and words to his customers are utterly ridiculous and he should be ashamed of himself.

How are you going to "black list" a customer because YOU fucked up his order or it got lost in shipping? Not only that but then blatantly talk shit about them when they post their experience on reseller ratings?

That shits crazy and unprofessional.

I wouldn't put much faith and hopes in Sidewinder Computers either. I ordered 2 scythe S-Flex fans in July and it took them 10 days just to mail out the fans. Needless to say I think I am done ordering stuff from that company.

They were probably OOS/Backordered.

At least you got your items.

I've had just the opposite experience with Sidewinder. I ordered some parts that were mistakenly marked in-stock and I get a pleasant, personal e-mail from Gary apologizing and telling me that his restock was on the way. He gave me the choice of cancelling or waiting. A few days later I got another e-mail saying my items had shipped.

I will go out of my way to order from them in the future.

I've had just the opposite experience with Sidewinder. I ordered some parts that were mistakenly marked in-stock and I get a pleasant, personal e-mail from Gary apologizing and telling me that his restock was on the way. He gave me the choice of cancelling or waiting. A few days later I got another e-mail saying my items had shipped.

I will go out of my way to order from them in the future.

That happened to me on some Akasa Apache fans. Great company.

Well I ordered them on July 6th and then didn't recieve an email that they had been sent with a tracking till the 18th. Now with it being the 4th and people taking vacations around that time, at first it didn't bother me. But when I made it through monday the 16th and tuesday the 17th I was really getting ticked off with them. I had recieved no email or nothing from them till I recieved the tracking email. If they were out of stock even though their website said they were in stock, atleast an email with and explaination would of been nice.

I personally had a problem once with performance-pcs. They sent me a MCP35X2 Housing kit instead of the MCP35X2 that I ordered. They sent me an email with the option of either sending the top back to them and they could send me back the pump assembly, or they could just send me two MCP35X pumps. I called customer support and told them to just send me the pumps. I had the pumps in my hand the next day. So because of their customer support I have spent over a $1000 more dollars with them.

Yeah, I'm actually pretty impressed with how they ended up handling things. Performance-pcs does seem like a stand up company.

Last edited:
Back