performance of mac/pc games in macOS vs. bootcamp?

roper512

Limp Gawd
I am receiving a macbook pro soon and wanted to know which performs better..

call of duty 2 (for mac) playing through OSX leopard.. or..
call of duty 2 (for PC) played through bootcamp or crossover or whatever..

Anyone tried these two and seen which works better or plays smoother?

Thanks!

wopsang

Gawd
COD2 in the C2D MBP's crashes the MBP terribly. My old MBP with the x1600 played so well but this 8600GTM version blows. Do it in bootcamp, chances are it'll work better.

roper512

Limp Gawd
interesting.. thanks for the response :) I will try it out when the MBP comes in..

Hurshai

Limp Gawd
In OSX the core/memory clocks (atleast for the x1600) are drastically reduced from stock to keep the heat down. I use Boot Camp as it allows me to overclock the GPU speeds with ATI Tool. With clocks closer to stock speeds I can easily play Day of Defeat: Source (with some AF) and TF2(No MSAA or AF) with decent FPS. I'm also using the latest Omega Drivers with it.

autumnmist

n00b
In OSX the core/memory clocks (atleast for the x1600) are drastically reduced from stock to keep the heat down. I use Boot Camp as it allows me to overclock the GPU speeds with ATI Tool. With clocks closer to stock speeds I can easily play Day of Defeat: Source (with some AF) and TF2(No MSAA or AF) with decent FPS. I'm also using the latest Omega Drivers with it.

Hurshai, I've got an x1600 and I've been trying to get better performance out of TF2... what'd you do to get the latest Omega drivers working?

BoudahXL

Limp Gawd
OSX uses OpenGL which is an awesome API for 3D buuuuuuuuut most games are developped using SDK optimized for DX9-10.So either the dev use a dx wrapper for OSX or recompile or have a third software company do the work for them..In any case, performance is sub-par for the same hardware.

Windows, well either u use the drivers provided through bootcamp, which are not the best in the west, or find the right drivers to install on your macbook pro.

Crossover, Parallel Desktop 3.0+ or Fusion, not bad but underperform both windows and osx.

I didn't mention Bootcamp as a platform as it is merely just a partition tool and boot loader installer.

Good luck, CoD2? What about CoD4???

BoudahXL

Limp Gawd

Are you referring to an iMac videocard?If it's the case, keep in mind the core is reduced for a good reason, it's the portable version of the card, it's not a full fledge x1600 PCI-E card if you prefer, the card is about 3x3 inches at most, if you overclock it you might fry your video memory in the long term, unless you mod your iMac fan, which would be cool and a good reason to post some pics about it :D