Performance of Encrypted VM vs encrypting the entire host drive

I'm running win 8.1 Pro as my host on my laptop dell 4800mq cpu, the OS is on my msata drive. I have 2 1TB drives that I keep my vms on (1 SSD and 1 7200rpm)

I have to test a bunch of software and settings and I run a mix of win7, 8.1, 2008r2, 2012, esx, ubuntu and OSX vms

Most of my work in a Windows environment. My question is which has the best performance, leaving my entire data drives unencrptyed and encrypt my windows vm with bitlocker inside the vm OS.

Or encrypting the entire drive and leaving the vm unencrypted (this I prefer but does it mess with any of vmware DND drag and drop between host and vm os and vice versa).

Encrypting your Dell 4800's hard drives with BitLocker is the easiest way to do it. That way you don't have to deal with a bunch of different VM's recovery keys if things go belly up.

That said... I'm not sure about performance considerations, but I vote to keep your encryption as close to bare metal as possible.

we encrypt vms and keep host unencrypted

different oses including windows 7 (yeah, i know), opensuse 13, and openbsd

works fine ;)

I'm running win 8.1 Pro as my host on my laptop dell 4800mq cpu, the OS is on my msata drive. I have 2 1TB drives that I keep my vms on (1 SSD and 1 7200rpm)

I have to test a bunch of software and settings and I run a mix of win7, 8.1, 2008r2, 2012, esx, ubuntu and OSX vms

Most of my work in a Windows environment. My question is which has the best performance, leaving my entire data drives unencrptyed and encrypt my windows vm with bitlocker inside the vm OS.

Or encrypting the entire drive and leaving the vm unencrypted (this I prefer but does it mess with any of vmware DND drag and drop between host and vm os and vice versa).

Back