Performance lag caused by slow network connection

Praetorius

Limp Gawd
I just realized after using my laptop outside of my apartment that anytime I use it at a coffee shop or a friend's place, the performance is pretty good. Whenever I'm at home, performance lags considerably, and it seems to be tied to slow response from my internet connection. For example, let's say I'm on Facebook and want to edit the description on a photo. I begin typing 4-5 characters, then the computer locks up momentarily for 7-seconds or so, then I can resume typing the rest of my description. If I'm watching a YouTube video, I have to keep my pointer still. If I move my pointer, the video and audio starts lagging. But when I use my computer anywhere else, it's fine. It's pretty annoying. What could be causing this?

I just realized after using my laptop outside of my apartment that anytime I use it at a coffee shop or a friend's place, the performance is pretty good. Whenever I'm at home, performance lags considerably, and it seems to be tied to slow response from my internet connection. For example, let's say I'm on Facebook and want to edit the description on a photo. I begin typing 4-5 characters, then the computer locks up momentarily for 7-seconds or so, then I can resume typing the rest of my description. If I'm watching a YouTube video, I have to keep my pointer still. If I move my pointer, the video and audio starts lagging. But when I use my computer anywhere else, it's fine. It's pretty annoying. What could be causing this?

virus ? spyware ?

was just about to suggest that. might be a cached dns..

Check the dns on your router too.. Are the other computers in the house this slow or just yours ?
I don't have another computer. But that's actually a good idea. I'm going to ask my friends to bring their laptops over and plug into my router. We'll see what happens.

Very strange thing happened. I took my laptop over to my friend's place who has wireless internet. My laptop would not work over there either, which ruled out my ISP back home being the problem. I left it over there turned on for about 3 days. I did a restart and it said it was configuring an update. So at some point it was able to connect to my friend's wireless to download an update and then went back to not working again. Well after the update, the internet works. I've had no connection problems since. It fixed itself.

Back