Perfectdisk 10 and Win7 Pro 64bit

SBMongoos

[H]ard|Gawd
Went to do an offline defrag of system files on reboot and it hung just before the login screen. After forcing a shutdown and booting backup Win7 gave me the option to do a restore (which may remove applications in the process...message stated) or to repair. I went with the repair as I the message on the restore option seemed flaky. The repair failed. I submitted the report to MS as that was an option.

After rebooting again there was an attempt this time to do the offline defrag but the message went by to fast to read the failure. Looked like it couldn't gain access to the hard disk.

Any ideas?

You do not have to do a Offline Defrag anymore with Win 7 X64. It defrags it every time you do a normal defrag. It sure does make life a little easier.

You do not have to do a Offline Defrag anymore with Win 7 X64. It defrags it every time you do a normal defrag. It sure does make life a little easier.

Perfectdisk does an offline defrag when completing a regular defrag? I try within Perfectdisk and it says it will only do the offline at reboot just like in XP. If this is the case I'm surprised that PD doesn't tell you so you know.

By the way do you know how to set full admin rights in Win 7? Haven't been using it that much and am getting tired of authorizing to run certain programs and not being able to access certain folders as well. I was sure I set myself as admin when I installed.

You are right that they have not updated the Help files. Do a defrag and look at the bottom section of the results. You will find that the offline files are defraged and that is why it will not allow you to do an offline defrag. I do not know the technical reason for it but I am happy that I do not have to do an offline defrag any more.
As for the pop-ups, it is the User Account Control settings that is working. It does not matter if you are the Administrator or not, it will continue to use the pop-ups. You can disable the pop-ups (as many of us here have done) by disabling the UAC. Go into User Accounts and change the User Account Control settings all the way down to “Never Notify” and the pop-ups will disappear. The pop-ups are a pain in the butt and I have never encountered any reason to have it on.

That's sweet.

Ya, I forget I can do that with the UAC. I've been using XP and still do. I'm migrating to 7. Swapping out drives (via an Icy Dock) when time permits and keep installing software, etc., in 7.

Since XP and esp with Vista/7, I don't see a need for defragging anymore....with NTFS file system and large disks these days, and how Windows now manages it on the fly.

The reason I like to use Perfect disk for my two WD is the SmartPlacement feature. Putting the most accessed files on the fastest part of the drive seems like a no-brainer, but it's not implanted in the built in defrag.

Since XP and esp with Vista/7, I don't see a need for defragging anymore....with NTFS file system and large disks these days, and how Windows now manages it on the fly.

The reason I like to use Perfect disk for my two WD is the SmartPlacement feature. Putting the most accessed files on the fastest part of the drive seems like a no-brainer, but it's not implanted in the built in defrag.

That's already done by the OS itself....it started way back with Windows XP with layout.ini combined with prefetch. It rearranges the location of most frequently accessed programs every 3 days.

You are right that they have not updated the Help files. Do a defrag and look at the bottom section of the results. You will find that the offline files are defraged and that is why it will not allow you to do an offline defrag. I do not know the technical reason for it but I am happy that I do not have to do an offline defrag any more.
As for the pop-ups, it is the User Account Control settings that is working. It does not matter if you are the Administrator or not, it will continue to use the pop-ups. You can disable the pop-ups (as many of us here have done) by disabling the UAC. Go into User Accounts and change the User Account Control settings all the way down to “Never Notify” and the pop-ups will disappear. The pop-ups are a pain in the butt and I have never encountered any reason to have it on.

The message I was getting stated it could not access the drive and it further stated that it may be due to a driver conflict. I had seen this in Windows XP when I ran some Style XP and I had to disable it in the registry before the offline defrag and then renable after. Not sure what the conflict may be in Win 7 tho.

At this link is a list:http://www.perfectdisk.com/support/kb/823. There is also a tool in Perfectdisk to check for conflicts however it didn't find any.

I do find that the following may be an issue for me:

Logitech QuickCam software LVUSBSta.sys Download and run BlockedFileList.exe. This will add this driver to the list of drivers/programs/services that PerfectDisk will block from loading during the boot time defrag pass.

SuperAntiSpyware Saskutil.sys
Sasdifsv.sys Download and run BlockedFileList.exe. This will add these drivers to the list of drivers/programs/services that PerfectDisk will block from loading during the boot time defrag pass.

Edit:

Running the BlockedFileList.exe fixed this issue for me. Was either Logitech or SAS. Ran the offline defrag fine.

Last edited:
You did not need to do that but I am happy you feel better now about it.

:confused:

Apparently you feel there is some sort of "jab" with my comment above. Not so. I feel it helpful to provide information. If someone else finds this topic they have information they may find very helpful. Otherwise the topic is incomplete and it's yet another thread you get to search. I'm sure you know when searching you can get a lot of hits and not find what you are looking for.

Also, I never mentioned anything about Help files not being up to date. Perhaps I should have been more clear about my remark that Perfectdisk "doesn't tell you so you know". I meant that an error message, or similar, would be very helpful.

Back