Perfect time 4 a year off from computertech/games..let games catch up to hardware.

PS3

[H]ard|Gawd
It's been pretty fun the last few weeks watching the new tech roll in. I've been thinking a lot about what Brent said...that the hardware is far surpassed the software. Seems to me that right now is the worse time to buy high end, since most of the good games are currently console ports, and aren't demanding at all. The good thing is that cards like the GTX260 and 4870 are extremely affordable and provide an outstanding gaming experience for $150 or less. All you need is 50-60fps really for a really smooth experience any how..and that's feasible for $150...dare I say less? You need vsync on any way to eliminate tearing. Eyeinfinity is actually critical in order for there to be some kind of need for a top end card like the 5970.

I don't see the future sticking with eyeinfinity though. I think we will see one monitor solutions that mimic Eyeinfinity without the bezels...that's what's going to provide true immersion. Be interesting to see what Nvidia comes up with.

Any who, given the reasons above it seems like a good time for a one year hiatus from pcgaming and pc tech in general. 90% of the fun is reading about the tech, putting a system together, overclocking, and seeing how it performs. Games are great but for me it's not about the games. Weird eh? I figure however in a year's time there will be a lot to read up and catch up on, and a lot of games to try out as well. 5970 will be considerably cheaper, and probably will not be the top card by then.

In the mean time, I got to finish rebuilding these carbs and fine tuning the bike before Christmas. See y'all in a year, and happy holidays. :cool:

The software will never catch up with the shift towards consolization

In order to justify the price of more expensive hardware, enthusiasts will have to turn to elaborate multimonitor setups :)

90% of the fun is reading about the tech, putting a system together, overclocking, and seeing how it performs. Games are great but for me it's not about the games. Weird eh?

Oddly enough, I feel almost exactly the same way.

So the question is...do I need a second T260 or should I just trade up for a HD 4890 CF?

I don't see the future sticking with eyeinfinity though. I think we will see one monitor solutions that mimic Eyeinfinity without the bezels

What.

What.

What the fuck are you babbling about.

I don't know what you were thinking when you wrote this, but the only "one monitor solution that mimics Eyefinity without the bezels" I can imagine is simply a 3x bigger monitor. We are not going to see 40" 3600x1920 or 2560x4800 monitors before 2015. We'll be lucky to get OLED in 1920x1080 at the price of today's LCDs in 2015.

Last edited:
90% of the fun is reading about the tech, putting a system together, overclocking, and seeing how it performs. Games are great but for me it's not about the games. Weird eh?

That can be very true. But if you think about it, given what high-end hardware costs, it's really a waste of money if the games aren't taking advantage of it. Even if I enjoy specing & building a high-end rig, I can't justify it if the system isn't going to be used. For that reason... I'm a budget-build kind of guy for the time being, and I'll spend my money on other gadgets that I'll make better use of. :)

What.

What.

I don't know what you were thinking when you wrote this, but the only "one monitor solution that mimics Eyefinity without the bezels" I can imagine is simply a 3x bigger monitor. We are not going to see 40" 3600x1920 or 2560x4800 monitors before 2025. We'll be lucky to get OLED in 1920x1080 at the price of today's LCDs in 2015.

I think he was talking about this.

alienware.jpg

That can be very true. But if you think about it, given what high-end hardware costs, it's really a waste of money if the games aren't taking advantage of it. Even if I enjoy specing & building a high-end rig, I can't justify it if the system isn't going to be used. For that reason... I'm a budget-build kind of guy for the time being, and I'll spend my money on other gadgets that I'll make better use of. :)

I just justify it by playing through Crysis every time new hardware drops. The first time was with an 8800GT 512 and it was barely even playable at 1680 DX9 with some hacked configs to improve performance and enable some of the nicer effects. The last boss was in single digit frames and I had to make a new config just for him. Then I got another 8800GT and the game started to have a semblance of smoothness in DX9 for my next playthrough. Then I got a GTX280, followed quickly by a second, and the next playthrough was smooth in DX10 maxed at 1920x1200. I'll be a compulsive upgrader until I can get that 60 FPS DX10 maxed playthrough.

I’m just gonna say that monitor thing was photoshoped, don't correct me please, ignorance is a bless.

well when I bought my evga 285 SSC it was the top single GPU card out there, and I game only @ 1680x1050, and it gave me 61 average frame rate @ FC2 , 48 @ HAWX, 72 @ RE5, similar results in RedAlert3 (big maps), FEAR2, and NFS Shift, Clear Sky, Fallout3, not to mention Crysis and Empire Total War and other demanding games. so I don’t know about GTX260/4870 and “outstanding gaming experience“.

I’m just gonna say that monitor thing was photoshoped, don't correct me please, ignorance is a bless.

I immediately looked for one to purchase after seeing that. Couldn't find the Alienware one, but I saw an article saying NEC is releasing one for $8000. I thought it would have been a cool thing to have at 1/10 that price but $8k is ridiculous. I'll stick to my 50 inch pioneer elite plasma.

I think he was talking about this.
<pic>

I immediately looked for one to purchase after seeing that. Couldn't find the Alienware one, but I saw an article saying NEC is releasing one for $8000. I thought it would have been a cool thing to have at 1/10 that price but $8k is ridiculous. I'll stick to my 50 inch pioneer elite plasma.
That monitor is very real. The original manufacturer of the Alienware and NEC models is Ostendo. They can be bought directly from the manufacturer's website for $6,449 US. Still extremely expensive. I would consider one for $1000 though.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/23/ostendo-now-selling-crvd-display-directly-multiple-crvd-display/
http://www.ostendo.com/

Here's a youtube clip of 3 of them in Eyefinity :drool:
Definitely need crossfire or the 5970 to run 3 of them, it looks like the game was running at 10fps in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix0m31q4xLw&feature=player_embedded

I don't think I understand the OP correctly, it's not about the games for you but the hardware and tweaking, yet you're taking a break because there's no good games at the moment :confused:

That monitor is very real. The original manufacturer of the Alienware and NEC models is Ostendo. They can be bought directly from the manufacturer's website for $6,449 US. Still extremely expensive. I would consider one for $1000 though.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/23/ostendo-now-selling-crvd-display-directly-multiple-crvd-display/
http://www.ostendo.com/

Here's a youtube clip of 3 of them in Eyefinity :drool:
Definitely need crossfire or the 5970 to run 3 of them, it looks like the game was running at 10fps in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix0m31q4xLw&feature=player_embedded

It's nice that it's curved, the lack of bezels makes it very immersive, etc etc. I acknowledge all that. However as a monitor it is equal to two 1440x900 displays, and I couldn't stomach paying more than $300 for that. Much less the cost of SIX 2560x1600.

It does seem to be some sort of rear projection display, which is interesting. I wonder what the ANSI contrast ratio is like.

It's been pretty fun the last few weeks watching the new tech roll in. I've been thinking a lot about what Brent said...that the hardware is far surpassed the software. Seems to me that right now is the worse time to buy high end, since most of the good games are currently console ports, and aren't demanding at all. The good thing is that cards like the GTX260 and 4870 are extremely affordable and provide an outstanding gaming experience for $150 or less. All you need is 50-60fps really for a really smooth experience any how..and that's feasible for $150...dare I say less? You need vsync on any way to eliminate tearing. Eyeinfinity is actually critical in order for there to be some kind of need for a top end card like the 5970.

I don't see the future sticking with eyeinfinity though. I think we will see one monitor solutions that mimic Eyeinfinity without the bezels...that's what's going to provide true immersion. Be interesting to see what Nvidia comes up with.

Any who, given the reasons above it seems like a good time for a one year hiatus from pcgaming and pc tech in general. 90% of the fun is reading about the tech, putting a system together, overclocking, and seeing how it performs. Games are great but for me it's not about the games. Weird eh? I figure however in a year's time there will be a lot to read up and catch up on, and a lot of games to try out as well. 5970 will be considerably cheaper, and probably will not be the top card by then.

In the mean time, I got to finish rebuilding these carbs and fine tuning the bike before Christmas. See y'all in a year, and happy holidays. :cool:
You are so full of shit it's rediculous. Take a break from gaming? Is that why you bought a gtx 295 last friday? $150 dollar video card enough for today's games? Is that why you bought a $330 GTX 295 last friday?

And I seriously hope you take your own advice...and take a hiatus from posting in these forums.

My guess is this guy has worn out the PS3 moniker and will soon switch screennames. Same troll different nick.....

You, good fellow, have managed to step right in that giant shit pile. How could you have not seen it there in the first place? Hmmm... Enjoy!

All I can say is have fun fixing your carbs. Remember, carbs can always be replaced. Anything with dense with sugar will provide you with a lot of carbs. Think Pop, Candy, etc.

What.

What.

I don't know what you were thinking when you wrote this, but the only "one monitor solution that mimics Eyefinity without the bezels" I can imagine is simply a 3x bigger monitor. We are not going to see 40" 3600x1920 or 2560x4800 monitors before 2015. We'll be lucky to get OLED in 1920x1080 at the price of today's LCDs in 2015.

I disagree, from personal experience and the market "demand" I think we will see tech improve as much as it has since 2004 when the X800XL and derivatives hit $600 and LCDs were like OLED. Compare it to a 5970, it could probably run HL2 at 1900x1200 for four computers or better. Technology is becoming cool. Nobody wanted a 30" CRT because it was a washing machine. Or even 23". Now I am looking at a $200 LCD from Feb. about 1.5" thick on the edges.

And from my personal experience, things change really rapidly. There were so few cell phones at my high school on 9/11 we tried to follow things on CNN or by word of mouth. By 2005 they were common and now it's ridiculous. There used to be more people going into music stores or on Columbia House than buying downloads. Computers used to freeze 5-10 times per week.

And from my personal experience, things change really rapidly. There were so few cell phones at my high school on 9/11 we tried to follow things on CNN or by word of mouth. By 2005 they were common and now it's ridiculous. There used to be more people going into music stores or on Columbia House than buying downloads. Computers used to freeze 5-10 times per week.

In my day a cup of coffee could be had for a nickel, and I had to walk 30 miles in the snow to get to school.. with no shoes because they wore out. :)

Oh yeah and monitor tech seems to move at a snails pace. I bought my Apple 30" Display when they came out like around 2004/2005 or so, fast forward almost 5 years, and that is still one of the best single monitors to get, or the Dell 3008WFP, but is is pretty much the same thing. Nothing better has come out since then.

Add to that this shitastic recession we are in the last couple of years, no way are big tech companies spending the cash on brand new monitor tech with no one to sell them too. This economy will push back development of really cool gear for a bit.

I say it is 2015 before we see really ground breaking crazy new monitors. I just don't know of anything due in the near future. It's cool Eyefinity is here, but that's a niche [H]ardcore market, not enough for big panel companies to design all new monitors for it, and still be affordable.

You are so full of shit it's rediculous. Take a break from gaming? Is that why you bought a gtx 295 last friday? $150 dollar video card enough for today's games? Is that why you bought a $330 GTX 295 last friday?

And I seriously hope you take your own advice...and take a hiatus from posting in these forums.

Hahahahahahahahah, holy crap, I literally spit half a glass of water on my keyboard, thanks a lot.

Back