Perez Resigns From NVIDIA After 11 Years

HardOCP News

[H] News
Charlie Demerjian over at Semi Accurate says that he has confirmation that Derek Perez has resigned from NVIDIA. Perez was Director of Public Relations for 11 years.

In any case, word has it that this is not a pleasant parting, although it will be spun as such. When we first heard about it weeks ago, it was slated for the end of the month or so. Given Nvidia's 'execution' of late, this might be delayed for several quarters.

I've heard a ton of negative remarks about nvidia's marketing strategies over the past year (eg things like taking old parts, and giving them new names, then trying to sell them as something 'new') so it isn't a surprise to see a marketing guy leave.

Oh this is just golden...

FX5800: "clearly our hardware is vastly superior in everyway when compared to ATI, the only reason they are beating us is due to bad drivers and horrible game developers, but you should still buy one over ATI..."

I've heard a ton of negative remarks about nvidia's marketing strategies over the past year (eg things like taking old parts, and giving them new names, then trying to sell them as something 'new') so it isn't a surprise to see a marketing guy leave.
Nvidia is not the only one.

How much control did he have over marketing, vs just trying to spin the assholic marketing tactics nVidia uses? All of the marketing upper management should be shown the door.

How much control did he have over marketing, vs just trying to spin the assholic marketing tactics nVidia uses? All of the marketing upper management should be shown the door.

Well, it says he was the director of it all, so I'd say he's the origin of those marketing tactics.

Marketing just has to come up with a way to spin what the business owners(the cheese) have decided to sell. He has less to do with the product thats going out the door than what is marketed about said product. It's easier to fire the director of marketing than it is the president of the company.

That's exactly correct and when you couple that with lagging sales on top of their rebranded, older technology you end up with a pissed off client base. Good riddance, they didn't listen to the customers and this is what happens.

Good, does this mean that nvidia cards will have logical names now? I expect that that sort of decision is way above him but I can only hope.

When I read that they were simplifying the naming scheme after the 8000 series confusion I thought "good!", and then they come out with the current naming BS which is about as ridiculous as the old scheme!

why are we hearing about this from charlie? at any rate if true I how they revise some of their crap (the price in cart bullshit, card renaming and so on)

I figured they would go the Best Buy and Pizza Hut route.. hunt down the closest Twitter "God" and compensate him for his "work"

You mean Jen-sung Huang right? Fortune cookie? :D;)

That's the name? Oh OK. They all sound alike to me. I don't know Chinese. Either Mandarin or Cantonese.Yep, pretty much dropping an empty can of peas to the floor and naming the guy after the sound it makes..OH wait!! I meant an empty Can of Whoppass. Yes, it must be empty now.

Oh this is just golden...

FX5800: "clearly our hardware is vastly superior in everyway when compared to ATI, the only reason they are beating us is due to bad drivers and horrible game developers, but you should still buy one over ATI..."

"Our faster clocks make the 128 Memory Bus irrelevant when comparing to a 9700Pro's 256"
PR remarks like that are so stupid.

"Our faster clocks make the 128 Memory Bus irrelevant when comparing to a 9700Pro's 256"
PR remarks like that are so stupid.

Agreed, but that's what you get when you have the head of marketing talking tech.

Problem is that there are lots of people who read shit like that and then go out and buy their product. Those of us who come to places like [H] know better.

I honestly think there is plenty of room in the market for ATI, and Nvidia. They just need to cut the damn bullshit.

Marketing just has to come up with a way to spin what the business owners(the cheese) have decided to sell. He has less to do with the product thats going out the door than what is marketed about said product. It's easier to fire the director of marketing than it is the president of the company.

So the business owners say "Let's just sell our old design." Then it becomes the marketing guy's idea of HOW to sell the old design. The marketing guy then says "We'll just give it a new name, then we'll position it in the market as if it was a new design."

In today's world you could sell a bag of crap and have demand so high it starts crashing your order server if you market it right. That reminds me, check Woot today.

Ummmm obviously people think PR and marketing is the same thing. They're very different departments with very different purposes which should be obvious based on their names alone! I doubt Mr. Perez was responsible for naming graphics cards :rolleyes:

That is really interesting. I know Derek and he even posted it on his facebook that he was leaving.

Derek Perez After 11 years - its time to leave NVIDIA for a new adventure...its been a great ride...many friends, good times, great memories...this was one of the best jobs I've ever had...it's sad leaving...ill post the new adventure later...

He was a good guy and would send me gifts from Nvidia. I hope he does well in his future.

That is really interesting. I know Derek and he even posted it on his facebook that he was leaving.

He was a good guy and would send me gifts from Nvidia. I hope he does well in his future.

I do not know how someone can consider a complete bullshitter a "good guy".

Back