People Without Facebook Accounts Are 'Suspicious'

Would make sense, the government uses data from Facebook and Twitter a lot to track people, if a person does not have it they can't track as much, so they think the person is suspicious. Everyone is guilty until proven innocent.

All I know is the US government must think my life is boring because the only thing I really post about on Facebook is stuff I do around the house such as handyman projects. :p

So you're a house-bound loner with practical engineering experience? Sounds like you could be a loose cannon with the skills to do something about it, dispatching the men in suits now.

There's a far more serious consequence:

Try dating without Facebook. I dare you.

Girl: "Hey what's your Facebook, I'll add you."
Me: "I don't have one, never really saw the need."
Girl "Oh you have one you just don't want me to see it because you got a girlfriend or a wife I bet!"
Me: "Hah, no, I just... ahh fuck it I'm turning gay or something."

But seriously, it's true. A lot of people view a minimal online presence as suspicious, that you're hiding something, or that you're just weird. I eventually gave in and just made a Facebook, privatized it to shit and only add close friends and family.
That reminds me of back in college, almost everyone had a phone # in their respective dorms. But 2 of my friends who were rooming with each other were being very cheap and didn't have a phone. One of them met a girl and she was digging him. She gave her # and asked for his, but he said he doesn't have one. She was like WTF, assumed that he was lying or trying to hide something, so that was the end of that. :D

This is actually quite accurate. Girls will think you're a creep if you have no Facebook. They would rather accept someone who has an obviously creepy FB page than one with no FB page at all.

Solution: Russian import bride.

Hey those Russian girls are hot! But the younger ones can be more into FB than even the American girls now days.

I'd rather people find me suspicious (easy to prove otherwise) than continually avail myself as a human resource or bit of raw data.

So true. I didn't get a cell phone until like 2005. Talk about feeling like a dinosaur. I got the weirdest looks when I said I didn't have a cell phone.

Our society expects people to be more connected and more open with their social lives these days. It can be annoying, but at the end of the day it's a small price to pay for not locking yourself out of potential social opportunities. (read: getting laid.)

I still don't have a cellphone....I just don't see the need for one.

No one is that important that I need to be in constant contact with them...if they need me, they can leave a message. ;)

So trying to limit a soulless greedy corporation from datamining me is 'suspicious'? Rule of thumb, if it doesn't cost anything, then you are the product.

To be fair Facebook tries to shove people together randomly and promote pointless chatter and idiocy. I deleted my account and restarted it with just my wife as my friend. I told nobody. Within 30 minutes I had all these friend requests that I know for a fact didn't come from real people. But Facebook made it sound like they were personal requests.

Facebook had no appeal to me, so I only recently figured this out. After seeing others' explanations, it struck me these descriptions of the social scene with multiple tiers, gossip, drama, basic bio facts available to everyone, etc. fit highschool almost perfectly.

I realized facebook artificially recreates the highschool social scene. I could see if you were stuck at that level, you would believe fb was the greatest thing ever. Made me sad for some reason.

I still don't have a cellphone....I just don't see the need for one.

No one is that important that I need to be in constant contact with them...if they need me, they can leave a message. ;)

It's not so much about people being in contact with you, it's you being able to contact others.

Hell, the ability to dial 911 alone pretty much makes carrying a cell phone around worthwhile. I guess if you just sit around home & work all day and don't spend much time in your car or on foot it's not as big a deal.

There's a far more serious consequence:

Try dating without Facebook. I dare you.

Girl: "Hey what's your Facebook, I'll add you."
Me: "I don't have one, never really saw the need."
Girl "Oh you have one you just don't want me to see it because you got a girlfriend or a wife I bet!"
Me: "Hah, no, I just... ahh fuck it I'm turning gay or something."

But seriously, it's true. A lot of people view a minimal online presence as suspicious, that you're hiding something, or that you're just weird. I eventually gave in and just made a Facebook, privatized it to shit and only add close friends and family.

BAAAAAA

Oh, I forgot to add, the moment of clarity when I created my Facebook:

Me and my buddy are screening potential roommates using Facebook, and we were automatically throwing out people we couldn't find online because we weren't willing to take that risk. Then I realized...hey, I don't have a Facebook either. I'm a fucking hypocrite! So I went and made one.

BAAAAAA

Any woman putting that much emphasis on Facebook isn't a woman I would want to date.

Now you've got it ;)

I fear for the future of mankind with the extension of high school society to people's mid life before they discover "real life". If, in fact, they ever actually do. :(

Back