People with Antec P180/P182/183, how are your fans configured

Gundam

Weaksauce
Well I decided to quit being cheap and pulled the trigger on a P180 locally. I was wondering how many fans you guys have running in your rigs and how are they orientated. I would prefer to use the least amount of fans as possible since the main goal of purchasing this case was to build a quiet rig.

I have a Radeon 4870, and 5 hard drives (I plan on putting 4 in the HDD rack in the bottom section) Do I really need a fan in the bottom section of the case, or will the psu fan be sufficient.

What direction should I point my PSU fan and CPU fan? I'm guessing UP for the PSU fan.

I have the fan between the HDDs and the PSU blowing toward the PSU
The PSU fan is on the bottom
Removed the upper HDD rack and placed a fan there (my 260 is too long to fit otherwise)
Both of the upper fans blow out
No fan on my scythe ninja
GPU fan does it's own thing

The PSU should be sufficient to move air though, I used to not have the fan in there and as long as the side panel is closed, enough air is drawn over that the drives stay relatively cool. You can monitor the temps if you have a SMART enabled drive and a program like everest.

I put the PSU fan down because I put all of the cable mess on top of the PSU, maybe heat rising thing might help draw hot air out of the PSU I dunno. More importantly, however, with the fan on the bottom, the cables exit the PSU toward the back wall of the case, making cabling easier.

I used to run a 8800GT with a fanles accelero S1 and 5 HDDs - it was near silent. Even now with the upgraded video card and just 1 HDD it's damn close to it still. LOVE my p182

OLDER SETUP pic with 5 HDDs:
img0122pf3.jpg

|-----(1)-----------------------------------------------|
| |
(2) |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| 3 |
|___________________________________|

1 I have pull air out of the case
2 out the back
3 I don't have anything there
4 blowing in

Rear fan is exhaust
Top fan is intake
One fan in the upper hard drive bay
One fan modded to be in front of the lower drive bay
PSU fan pulling air from underneath its placement.

The loudest thing in my case is the AC7 Pro HSF I have. Pretty quiet for my tastes.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I first tried deleting the top fan, and only leaving the PSU fan for the bottom chamber. So the only fans were the intake in the front, and the exhaust in the rear. This was fine, but one of my 4 hard drives in the lower chamber was heating up too much. So I decided to add a fan in the bottom chamber behind the hard drives. That lowered the HDD temp by 12C! If any of you guys are looking to reduce a lot of noise, I would suggest removing the top fan and covering it up with duct tape or something else. With the fan on, I only saw a few degrees difference, but much more noise.

Rear fan is exhaust
Top fan is intake
One fan in the upper hard drive bay
One fan modded to be in front of the lower drive bay
PSU fan pulling air from underneath its placement.

The loudest thing in my case is the AC7 Pro HSF I have. Pretty quiet for my tastes.

Hmm, how do you have the fan in front of the lower drive bay? That would definitely be ideal.

If you look in the above picture, you can see the 4 screw holes that I used to mount the fan. I didn't go as far as removing the metal of the grille, but you do have to remove the air filter because the tabs interfere with the fan blades just a bit (maybe it wouldn't with all fans, but it did with mine). It was super easy, but you have to remove the black plastic piece that is in there from the factory. Give it a little squeeze and jiggle and it should come out. It can be a bit tricky so let me know if you have any trouble and I can go in more detail, but you should figure it out.

Back