People listed in the Gamertag thread ::: has your XBOX 360 broken?

Z

Zinn

Now that we have about 200 people on the "Post your Gamertag" list, I want to do some non-scientific research into how many of us have experienced XBOX 360 failures. Many people believe that a disproportionate amount of XBOX 360s are failing. Others believe that the people complaining are a vocal minority. I want to do a statistical sampling of our forum population (with verified XBL accounts) to see what sort of ratio we're looking at here. Once enough people reply to this thread, I'll start putting graphs together in this post or something.

The rules:
  1. This is not a discussion. Keep posts on topic. See the second two posts for examples of what not to do in this thread.
  2. You must have your XBOX Live account listed in the Gamertag thread (this is to prevent people without 360s from coming in and skewing the numbers)
  3. Post your Gamercard here, if you have it (this will make things easier for me)
  4. What type of 360 do you have, (Core / Premium / Elite) and when did you buy it approximately?
  5. Tell us if your 360 has had a hardware failure (dead console). Hardware failure means 3 red lights of doom, broken DVD drive, etc. Anything that makes your console unplayable. Crashing from time to time doesn't count. Please go into detail about what happened.
  6. If you've had to replace your XBOX 360, post how many times you've had to replace it.

I'll start (use my data as a template for your own)

My XBOX Live Gamertag: T0KEY

My Gamercard:

XBOX 360 Type / Date purchased: Premium, purchased at launch.

Hardware Failure? Yes. My Launch 360 gave me the red ring of death a couple of days after the Wii launch.

Replaced? No. Didn't want to deal with it.

I don't have an Xbox. Seems they are somewhat unreliable, or people only bitch when their X360 dies.
If someone came on a computer forum and read about all the hardware failures (that may be caused by user error), and gave their opinion of computers it would look like this:
OMG ur kumpooter iz brok i dunt wunt 2 by 1 of dose.
Same with X360 forums, people only go on there to find out if someone knows something about how to fix their 360, and of course are going to post in a poll saying their X360 is broke, if you had an X360 you would probably playing that and not looking at X360 forums...

Eh, too lazy to post in that thread

And you put a lot of loops to jump through

Tag - TNS Shlomo
Premium 360.. I think it is launch(its prem, bought it used, dunno when it was purchased, its over a year old)
No hardware failure
No need to replace

I don't have an Xbox. Seems they are somewhat unreliable, or people only bitch when their X360 dies.
If someone came on a computer forum and read about all the hardware failures (that may be caused by user error), and gave their opinion of computers it would look like this:
OMG ur kumpooter iz brok i dunt wunt 2 by 1 of dose.
Same with X360 forums, people only go on there to find out if someone knows something about how to fix their 360, and of course are going to post in a poll saying their X360 is broke, if you had an X360 you would probably playing that and not looking at X360 forums...
Okay, just so you know, this is not an opinion thread, nor a discussion. I want numbers, from people who have XBOX 360s.
Eh, too lazy to post in that thread

And you put a lot of loops to jump through
The only way I can verify that you actually have a 360 and you aren't just trying to skew the numbers is if you post your Gamercard. Since you did not, I won't use your data. There are a lot of people who have already jumped through the hoops, and I'm hoping they can help me out here. Let's try to start this thread on the right track plz.

My XBOX Live Gamertag: Pawn45

My Gamercard:

XBOX 360 Type / Date purchased: Elite, 1 month old.

Hardware Failure? Not yet

Replaced? N/A

My XBOX Live Gamertag: Mycha3l

XBOX 360 Type: Premium
Date purchased: Feb. 2006
Hardware Failures: None

My XBOX Live Gamertag: aerobahn

aerobahn.png

XBOX 360 Type: Premium
Date purchased: april 06
Hardware Failures: twice (refurbished unit kicked bucket)

Replaced twice: number three has lasted about 3-4 months with the freezing here or there.

bought Premium around March-April 2006, Manufactured Feb 2006, worked fine for months

got the RoD twice, neither hardware related, once at a major dashboard update, rebooted, didnt happen again until i installed the HD-DVD software disc and inserted a HD-DVD for the first time without rebooting, got the RoD again, rebooted, no more issues

until a few months ago started to get occasional disc read errors, not the ones you see commonly, the one where you put a game disc in and a white screen appears and says "to play this disc please put into a Xbox 360", it sees my games as a standard DVD, now it's up to about 8 out of 10 trys, have to keep popping the disc tray in and out over and over until it eventually reads it correctly

tried horizontal and vertical positions, vertical position seems to make it happen less often, but it is progressively getting worse

now i am just waiting until i have $140 and a few weeks i want to be without it to get another one, maybe i will get one with the upgraded cooling and it will last

My gamertag...
http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/grimlakin.png
Bought edition in Jan.

Died 14 months later in March of 07.

Replaced bought a core with the extended warranty.

Failure was the ring of death to the point that it would not even try to boot to the dashboard. Happend when playing GH2 but not saying that was the cause just the effect.

My XBOX Live Gamertag: WizardMK2

My Gamercard:

XBOX 360 Type / Date purchased: Premium, Nov. 2005 (launch unit)

Hardware Failure? No.

Replaced? N/A

Thanks to the people who have responded on topic! This is exactly what I need! Keep em coming :)

My gamertag: RudestBuddhist
Original Xbox 360 bought in Feb 2006, manufacture date was 11-2005
Premium console.

I'm now on my 3rd 360 and it's been acting up a bit.

The first 360 just froze after playing ANY game for more than 2 mins. I never got the 3ROL, just constant freezing/crashing.

The second 360 had a problem with the rear fan and it got so loud, it was unbearable. It would crash every once in awhile, but nothing too bad. I just couldnt handle the noise it made. This one was 09-2006 manufacture date.

My 3rd and current one is a 05-2006 manufacture date and has been the best one so far. It's pretty quiet overall and when there's a game running, it's about 1/3 of the noise of the original and 1/10th of the noise of my second 360. I was playing crackdown about a month ago and all the textures started getting whacky.. everything was covered in static and it looked like it was running in 8-bit color depth. I went back to the dashboard and loaded the game up again with the same results. After power cycling the 360, it came up fine and I havent had a problem since.

I've been really busy these last few weeks so i've barely played my 360. I really do love this system, but it has some serious hardware issues that MS needs to address.

My XBOX Live Gamertag: Nettwerk

My Gamercard:

XBOX 360 Type / Date purchased: Two Premiums, launch systems.

Hardware Failure? Yes. Both 3ROD'ed 2 months ago

Replaced? $130? LOL! replace xclamps for $9? YES!

My XBOX Live Gamertag: WLWHitman

My Gamercard: (can't access it right now, I work on an AFB...but not in the AF)

XBOX 360 Type / Date purchased: 1st Premium, January 2007 & 2nd Premium, June 2007 (Yes, we have 2...one for me, one for the fiance)

Hardware Failure? Not yet, and I have a 2year on them both through Best Buy, if they do.

Replaced? See above.

Okay, just so you know, this is not an opinion thread, nor a discussion. I want numbers, from people who have XBOX 360s.
The only way I can verify that you actually have a 360 and you aren't just trying to skew the numbers is if you post your Gamercard. Since you did not, I won't use your data. There are a lot of people who have already jumped through the hoops, and I'm hoping they can help me out here. Let's try to start this thread on the right track plz.

You said post your gamercard, IF YOU HAVE IT.

I'm not about to fucking register to get one for this thread.

Here are 3 consoles that I have/had.

Gamertag: Bowhuntr11

Premium

Purchased: 1st purchased in August 06

No failures of any kind. (Recently Sold)

Gamertag: UNT FNG (Brothers)

Another Premium

Purchased: September 06

No failures of any kind.

Gamertag: Bowhuntr11

Elite

Purchased: Day after Elite's Launch Day

No failures of any kind.

3 premium and 1 Elite

Purchased: 2 premiums at launch - 1 premium in jan 2007 - 1 Elite june 2nd

1st premium (launch) and the Elite are mine, 2nd premium (launch) is my wifes and the 3rd premium is my daughters

Hardware failures: None, all going strong..

OMFGGGGGGGGG

So I posted earlier here earlier today, and said no problems. Then, when I got home just now...I turn it on and start playing a movie and I get the 3 red lights....I jinxed myself...

:( :( :( :( :(

Gamertag: Bubba Fenix
Premium
Purchased: Feburuary 2006
Failures: None or whatsoever.

Console: Premium
Date Purchased: Nov 06
Hardware failures: Yes 2 - Refurb died 2nd day after receiving it.

I use to wish I never had bought it, however forza is starting to make me come around again.

cpt kaiten,

It's my id...too many hoops like the second guy said. What's to keep somebody who wasn't honest from just going to xbox.com forums and choosing any person's gamertag and then posting with somebody else's gamertag...it's not really making your poll more secure....

Ironically I had a launch day unit that worked perfectly, but with all the people getting scared about their launch day units I sold mine on ebay and bought one at about the 1 year mark. It recently bricked on the spring update, to MS's credit they replaced it under the warranty very quickly! (was only about 6 months old)...To MS's discredit the UPS man asked my wife what the white box was for when he delivered it. She replied it was the 360 return box. The UPS driver then said he wondered because he got so many of them, typically about 3 a week, and they are not labled from a business. (true enough, the white boxes they transit the broken xbox360s in have NO reference to MS or xbox or 360)....

Somebody else can post my gamertag picture of cpt kaiten and so my post will be legit.

:rolleyes:

Bought Premium 360 in Nov 06....played nearly every worthwhile game (through rental service)...even the ones that are rumored to "break" 360's and I've had no issues other than getting a scratched Saints Row disk that was unplayable. I've even accidentally left it on (with disk in tray) overnight a couple times with no issues. It starts up, runs fine for hours of gaming and then shuts down and does the same the next day. Just what I expect from a console..

Gamertag - Toytown (also added it to the gamertag thread)
Purchase Date - January 06
Manufacturing Date - December 05
System - Premium
Avg Use - 12-16 Hours a month.
First failure 3ROL - May07 (fixed FOC by microsoft)
Second failure 3ROL - June 07 (MS would not pay)

I ended up fixing the console myself, by removing the Xclamps and changing fans etc.

My XBOX Live Gamertag: MAXG33K

XBOX 360 Type / Date purchased: Premium, purchased at launch.

Hardware Failure? Yes. Died after 9 months.

Replaced? Yes, replacement (refurb) died after about 9 months as well.

Back