People Lie To Robots To Avoid Hurting Their Feelings

HardOCP News

[H] News
Researchers from UCL and the University of Bristol found that people will actually lie to a robot to avoid hurting its feelings. If you ask me, that's a smart move. Trust me, once robots have enslaved mankind, that robot will remember you were nice to it.

Making an assistive robot partner expressive and communicative is likely to make it more satisfying to work with and lead to users trusting it more, even if it makes mistakes, a new UCL-led study suggests. But the research also shows that giving robots human-like traits could have a flip side - users may even lie to the robot in order to avoid hurting its feelings.

Do these people know that they are talking to robots? Maybe they think they will hurt the programmers feeling with their oh soo mean inputs

I'm going to read the article but at first glance to me it would seem like basica personification. They are placing human traits and reactions to them on something not living. As such they are likely to respond to it with the same reactions they would a person, and in the opposite would be that anyone that does not do this is very likely not to do it to actual people.

At the end of the interaction, the communicative robot was programmed to ask participants whether they would give it the job of kitchen assistant, but they could only answer yes or no and were unable to qualify their answers.

Some were reluctant to answer and most looked uncomfortable. One person was under the impression the robot looked sad when he said ‘no,’ when it had not been programmed to appear so. Another complained of emotional blackmail and a third went as far as to lie to the robot.

People just lie. Period. I would get into it more but I'm late for my training session. Big MMA fight coming up. Between that and my girlfriend's modeling schedule... Swamped!

I'm going to read the article but at first glance to me it would seem like basica personification. They are placing human traits and reactions to them on something not living. As such they are likely to respond to it with the same reactions they would a person, and in the opposite would be that anyone that does not do this is very likely not to do it to actual people.
People are generally nice to others (other people, animals, etc.) or they're not. Those who are, will be nice to anything they're interacting with. I see people saying thank you to ATM machines. Even electronic menus during phone calls. The recorded words are set up in such a way that they're played in the same manner that a human would use, so if you're not paying strict attantion, you respond as if there were a real person at the other end of the conversation. When I call in to do banking by phone, the computer asks me questions, uses voice recognition to figure out what I want, and then asks me other stuff the same way a human would. It's not perfect, but it's way better than ten years ago. We know it's not a real person. But it's handy AND feels comfortable to do it. And that's the key selling point. It feels normal to us.

Well at least the people did not try to put the robot on the casting couch for that kitchen position... >_>

I see people saying thank you to ATM machines.

John Connor wasn't a real person

2d20a03.jpg

Back