People Don't Understand Or Use Digital Wallets

HardOCP News

[H] News
This will come as a shock to absolutely no one, the average person doesn't know a damn thing about digital wallets and they don't really seem to care.

"Digital wallets represent an innovative technology that has not yet reached critical mass among consumers due to a variety of factors, including low awareness and a muddied understanding of their benefits," said Andrea Jacobs, comScore Payments Practice Leader.

Working as a security analyst, I don't want to have anything to do with this stuff. There's enough insecure stuff to worry about, I don't want this headache on top of everything else.

Working as a security analyst, I don't want to have anything to do with this stuff. There's enough insecure stuff to worry about, I don't want this headache on top of everything else.

I'm in agreement with this, considering they can't even secure warcraft with RSA

I am always spilling my bits everytime I open my wallet ... and once you put a 20 KB note in there it is just too bulgy and painful to sit on :D

don't they all have a fine print where if you haven't used your balance in a year , you lose it ?

If i got 20$ in my wallet irl . it just doesn't simply fall apart after 1 year of being in there.

I am always spilling my bits everytime I open my wallet ... and once you put a 20 KB note in there it is just too bulgy and painful to sit on :D

You're not one of those people that puts their wallet in one back pocket and then a phonebook under the other butt cheek to balance out the difference in height are you? :eek:

Anyhow, if these people would stop calling them "digital wallets" which is like some kinda ancient term from the 1940s that may have sounded trendy when we sent e-mail by throwing stone tablets at each other like they were frisbees, they'd start making more sense. They could call them "E-Sack" or "phat l00t" or whatever nerds in WoW say to each other when they're playing kinky happy fun time in an instanced dungeon that no one else inside.

Since when did Google start doing online payment stuff anyhow? That's creepy!

don't they all have a fine print where if you haven't used your balance in a year , you lose it ?

If i got 20$ in my wallet irl . it just doesn't simply fall apart after 1 year of being in there.

The old condoms do though. Seriously, replace them once in a while.

This will come as a shock to absolutely no one, the average person doesn't know a damn thing about digital wallets and they don't really seem to care.

And the people who actually understand digital wallets don't want anything to do with them either.

Guess that leaves a small target audience in the middle, people who want to be part of the latest trend...

And the people who actually understand digital wallets don't want anything to do with them either.

Guess that leaves a small target audience in the middle, people who want to be part of the latest trend...

My credit card and public transportation pass both have NFC technology so whenever I need to use it, I just tap the machine without having to open my wallet. If I could have both of these (already have my CC) on my phone it would be great since my phone is already in my hands half the time anyway.

Cash or debit card, no other forms of payment needed.

Pfft only if you want to miss out on those sweet, sweet reward points from credit cards. I rarely have no more than $20 on me at a time I don't exactly live in the safest city in the US..

Pfft only if you want to miss out on those sweet, sweet reward points from credit cards. I rarely have no more than $20 on me at a time I don't exactly live in the safest city in the US..

I'm the same way with the cash. I also pretty much only use my CC and just never have a balance, the rewards are pretty nice considering I basically do nothing different.

I already have a digital wallet, it's called my credit card. I swipe to pay, push a button, and it works. People have good reason to avoid e-wallets right now, because it's clear none of them offer anything useful and they are all just vying to earn your business. What does V.Me do that Paypass doesnt? Lemon Wallet? Seriously? You expect me to trust my money with a company called Lemon Wallet? ISIS? Whatever the fuck that is. Square, levelup, etc. Sigh. None of these names bear any significance and give me no desire to investigate further. PayPal won widespread adoption because it was the only resource for handling online ebay transactions.

There's simply too much fragmentation in the market for anyone to feel comfortable with any of these particular companies. What has google wallet done to prove to me that they are secure? If my AMEX card gets stolen and used to buy a bunch of shit, I know I can call them and get all charges revoked. Can I do that with google wallet? I dunno. Do they even haev a 1-800 number I can dial for assistance? There's simply no trust yet, because they havent earned it. I havent read about them being hacked and losing 10,000,000 customer files and then assuring everyone they'll make up for it.

In a weird way I'm glad major banks/credit operators have been breached, because it has given them an opportunity to show me what they'll do about it. But I have no idea what these other companies policies are.

I like my wallet right where it is, in my back pocket, thank you.

The old condoms do though. Seriously, replace them once in a while.

LOL I had a friend years ago that used to stuff a 3" rubber O-Ring in his wallet just to see the reactions he would get whenever he took it out of his pocket LOL

I already have a digital wallet, it's called my credit card. I swipe to pay, push a button, and it works. People have good reason to avoid e-wallets right now, because it's clear none of them offer anything useful and they are all just vying to earn your business. What does V.Me do that Paypass doesnt? Lemon Wallet? Seriously? You expect me to trust my money with a company called Lemon Wallet? ISIS? Whatever the fuck that is. Square, levelup, etc. Sigh. None of these names bear any significance and give me no desire to investigate further. PayPal won widespread adoption because it was the only resource for handling online ebay transactions.

There's simply too much fragmentation in the market for anyone to feel comfortable with any of these particular companies. What has google wallet done to prove to me that they are secure? If my AMEX card gets stolen and used to buy a bunch of shit, I know I can call them and get all charges revoked. Can I do that with google wallet? I dunno. Do they even haev a 1-800 number I can dial for assistance? There's simply no trust yet, because they havent earned it. I havent read about them being hacked and losing 10,000,000 customer files and then assuring everyone they'll make up for it.

In a weird way I'm glad major banks/credit operators have been breached, because it has given them an opportunity to show me what they'll do about it. But I have no idea what these other companies policies are.

x2

I put my money in the bank not because i think the bank is safer than the underside of my mattress, but because if the bank gets robbed or catches fire or the bank manager has a bad drunkenly argument with his spouse and throws the money out the window; i always know my money is protected and insured and i can get it back.

With these web companies being the hottest thing in town one day and going down in flames the next, there's no F-ing way people will trust them with their money and all sorts of personal info.....except for maybe Facebook.

Put it this way, Google wallet doesn't even install on my phone thanks to Google locking the app and services to only Nexus devices. Leaving my Note2 out in the cold.

Ofc, I know of no stores that take Google wallet around here anyway.

In other news, Bitcoin is still a terrible currency to get involved in. If Bitcoin can be stolen away, what makes digital wallets any different?

Don't really see a need for it. And even if I was interested, according to Google there isn't a place with 50 miles of me that uses Google Wallet.

paypal offers a useful e wallet, its the ability to use the money you are making on paypal directly. The biggest problems with digital wallets are right now just lack of infrastructure and a huge format war coming down the pipe between google wallet / nfc and the big bank collab. But once we get past that all you old farts yacking about how you dont need it will be using it. Personally I would love to rid my wallet of all the credit cards, loyalty, cards and other junk.

I propose a counter point. People do in fact understand digital wallets and that is precisely why they avoid them like the plague..

I understand them completely, which is why it will be a cold day in hell before I use one.

LOL I had a friend years ago that used to stuff a 3" rubber O-Ring in his wallet just to see the reactions he would get whenever he took it out of his pocket LOL

That would at least break the ice in a way that isn't at all like looking through Howard the Duck's wallet.

Not as creepy as Google Scribbelkat Maps. The "cave view" is kind of weird... do you rememeber them driving a small car up there? :eek:

I thought that was just an alien abduction or a Craigslist date that I didn't completely remember! :eek:

paypal offers a useful e wallet, its the ability to use the money you are making on paypal directly. The biggest problems with digital wallets are right now just lack of infrastructure and a huge format war coming down the pipe between google wallet / nfc and the big bank collab. But once we get past that all you old farts yacking about how you dont need it will be using it. Personally I would love to rid my wallet of all the credit cards, loyalty, cards and other junk.

One debit card is all that is needed, why carry anything else? Of course for me I carry cash along with the debit card since many places near me don't even have the ability to process anything but cash.

Not sure why I would ever need an eWallet since anything I want to pay for online I just use my bank for that also, what little I do online.

Lame as it sounds, my benchmark is Apple iPhone. Until Apple feels the tech is mature enough and commits to some sort of NFC e-wallet solution on the iphone, then I don't really see any of these taking off soon.

Of course the Google Nexus or Samsung Galaxy line might have enough handset numbers to start trending but I haven't seen any demonstrate that "Moment of Awesome" with an ewallet app.

So Japan has a lot of security issues with this? They've been using their cell phones for payments, tickets, everything... for a long time now, no?

The problem is my job pays me in gigabytes, but the government taxes me in gibiytes......

Surprised to see so many negative comments. I use Google Wallet on my Nexus S 4G a few times a week, it's faster than even credit cards, convenient, and I almost always get a great reaction from either the cashier or people in line behind me.

While I haven't looked into it very much (phone doesn't have NFC), if digital wallets are anything like paypal then I want nothing to do with it. I'm not going to trust some private company that walks like a bank, and quacks like a bank, yet has absolutely none of the normal oversight and regulation a real bank would have.

I don't need some greedy pseudo-bank suddenly deciding that my account looks "suspicious" or "fraudulent", entitling them to suspend (aka, pocket the contents of) my account, just like paypal has been famous for doing to people in the past

Digital wallets will eventually catch on and are about as secure as conventional credit cards, perhaps a little more since it requires verification and all pin before it authorizes payment.

One debit card is all that is needed, why carry anything else? Of course for me I carry cash along with the debit card since many places near me don't even have the ability to process anything but cash.

Not sure why I would ever need an eWallet since anything I want to pay for online I just use my bank for that also, what little I do online.

Many people carry credit cards in addition to debit cards, this is so they can get rewards point etc.., On top of that there are various loyalty and discount cards that people end up with, it makes a big difference in cost if you buy from certain places often which many of us do because we are creatures of habbit. I probably save 20% or more at a particular restaurant with my loyalty card. I mean sure some people can get buy with just 1 card, but the way I see it even if it was just 1 card I have to carry my phone no matter what if my phone could replace that card I would take it. But I am noticing the way google wallet is setup that I can easily have it manage many cards and the lesser used ones can be removed from my wallet. Paypal now lets you just punch in your phone number at some places. On top of that you can load coupons in it and they will automatically apply, is all this stuff univeral yet? nope but it will be, its one of those things like MP3s and smart phones, its an unstoppable force moving forward pretty much only the really backwards people wont be doing it. Why does everyone think a credit card is so safe anyway? Its not , most of us have a single wallet and if we lost it, it would be no different than losing our phone, everything we have is in that 1 place.

But you do see the irony of someone at Hard forums mentioning how little they buy online dont you lol? But if places near you dont accept credit you must really be in the sticks. Now days even individuals can accept credit cards, its pretty hard to make the best of your business without it. Notice even the mega resistors like fast food chains have given in.

BTW debit cards don't build credit AFAIK and on top of that they often offer lower protection against fraud.

Lame as it sounds, my benchmark is Apple iPhone. Until Apple feels the tech is mature enough and commits to some sort of NFC e-wallet solution on the iphone, then I don't really see any of these taking off soon.

Of course the Google Nexus or Samsung Galaxy line might have enough handset numbers to start trending but I haven't seen any demonstrate that "Moment of Awesome" with an ewallet app.

People like you are whats wrong with America lol

I live in Germany... digital wallets will probably never arrive here, between Germany's privacy laws and privacy paranoia.

I always need to carry cash, as most bars/restaurants/etc don't accept debit cards due or have a very high minimum purchase value.

My Credit Card is for online purchases only, and bonuses are only for people who spend thousands of euros a month, so... no chance there.

I have a Paypal account and use it for some places online (usually international websites that don't accept a german billing address), but I've never seen a place that takes google wallet other than the android store.

THIS IS [H]ARDFORUM!!

But you do see the irony of someone at Hard forums mentioning how little they buy online dont you lol?

You know, I always took the [H]ard to be [H]ardware and [H]ardcore gaming. I don't think being cautious online goes against that. I buy a ton online, but I'm very selective about the sites I use and I'm extremely cautious about sites with known issues, like eGay and PayPal. Doesn't mean I'm not [H]ard, just means I'm not stupid... ;)

Back