People Can Fly, Square Enix Release Gameplay Trailer for Next-Gen Videogame Outriders

erek

[H]F Junkie
Square Enix hasn't impressed in a very long time, imho.

"People Can Fly describe the game as "Players will create their own Outrider and embark on a journey across a hostile planet. With rich storytelling spanning a diverse world, they will leave behind the slums and shanty towns of the First City and traverse forests, mountains and deserts in pursuit of a mysterious signal." You can expect an arsenal of weapons and supernatural powers, though the exact nature of the game's world and systems (open-world, quasi-open world, or some such) still haven't been clarified. Expect the game to drop come holiday 2020, right alongside the next-generation console launch. A reveal stream will be available via Twitch in about two days - there's a countdown timer in the official Outriders page."

https://www.techpowerup.com/263791/...play-trailer-for-next-gen-videogame-outriders

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it have jumping?

Epic buying this studio was the worst thing that could've happened to them. Not going to play this one no matter what. Burned bridges and all

Square Enix hasn't impressed in a very long time, imho.
I agree. I don't get why people still think so highly of SE. Nothing about this game interests me.

I generally agree, Square-Enix hasn't made anything super interesting in a while (there hasn't been a good FF game since FF6 in 1994). But, this is "People Can Fly" a subsidiary that was originally responsible for Painkiller, Gears of War series, and Bulletstorm. They're based in Poland.
Square-Enix "proper" is of course in Tokyo, Japan and the titles they directly develop are quite a bit different than this.

The one thing that I like about Square-Enix, at least in comparison to other mega game corps like the Epic's, the Activisions, and the Ubisofts out there is that when they buy game devs they allow them to continue crafting games that they have knowledge of in IP's they own (or I guess technically SE now owns but you know what I mean).
This is why SE allows Eidos Montreal to continue to create Deus-Ex games and Crystal Dynamics to produce the Tomb Raider series. You may not care for those games/genres, but those are very different than what SE produces and they're some of the best games in the genres they represent.
Except for Painkiller, I've never played any of People Can Fly's games. But it at least looks promising for what it is, even if it's not my jam.

I don't think I saw a second of actual gameplay in the trailer. Plus another game deliberately making characters unattractive -> I'm out.

Square-Enix hasn't made anything super interesting in a while (there hasn't been a good FF game since FF6 in 1994).
The millions of fans of FF7 and FF8 would heartily disagree with you.

I don't think I saw a second of actual gameplay in the trailer. Plus another game deliberately making characters unattractive -> I'm out.
This.
One guy looked like Ragnar Jewbrook, the four mask guy was from Riddick, much of the rest looked pretty generic, I did like the pretty cool looking gun that Ragnar was holding but other than that, everything is usual 'guns guns guns shoot everything boom boom'. Sigh.
What happened to fine story line development without just shooting?

While 7 and 8 are great games they are not the best in the series. People have such nostalgia for 7 because it was most people first jrpg. Only reason SE can and is bending people over with the remake. If any game company tried the same shit with other games they would get ripped to shit but 7 gets a pass.

While 7 and 8 are great games they are not the best in the series. People have such nostalgia for 7 because it was most people first jrpg. Only reason SE can and is bending people over with the remake. If any game company tried the same shit with other games they would get ripped to shit but 7 gets a pass.
You may want to re-read what N4CR was replying to, the guy said SE hasn't made a good FF game since FF6, but here you are calling 7 & 8 great yourself. No one said they had to be best in series to be good. I think you're in agreement with N4CR :)

The music for this trailer is pretty cool and I like the action, but they need to show actual gameplay. If it releases in 2020, there has to be SOMETHING playable by now, right?? It is literally called the gameplay reveal trailer by IGN:

I'm more interested to see what Flying Wild Hog is working on these days, but there doesn't seen to be any info on anything at the moment.

They can feel free to. I've obviously carried this opinion and stated it to plenty of people that are fans of other titles in the series. I also have my lists of reasons to back my opinions.
People love X as well. Enough so that they made a X-2. I, however, don't look at popularity as a measurement of quality. People's fandom and devotion to something has little to do with how good something actually is.
If we just wanted to talk about popular games, you and I both know this would go in an entirely different direction. The FF games in general probably aren't even in the top 10 in terms of units sold.

I, however, don't look at popularity as a measurement of quality.
You instead use your own personal tastes as a measurement of quality?
And while I would counter that FF9 was a fantastic game coming back to the days of swords/sorcery instead of a hybridization of modern age and magic, it also brought back the 4 party group which was lacking in 7,8, and even some later ones. But this too would be personal taste.

That said, FF: Tactics was a fantastic game, and that's not just my opinion either.

They can feel free to. I've obviously carried this opinion and stated it to plenty of people that are fans of other titles in the series. I also have my lists of reasons to back my opinions.
People love X as well. Enough so that they made a X-2. I, however, don't look at popularity as a measurement of quality. People's fandom and devotion to something has little to do with how good something actually is.
If we just wanted to talk about popular games, you and I both know this would go in an entirely different direction. The FF games in general probably aren't even in the top 10 in terms of units sold.

"I don't like this game" does not equal "this game is bad". People really need to stop with that nonsense.

You instead use your own personal tastes as a measurement of quality?
And while I would counter that FF9 was a fantastic game coming back to the days of swords/sorcery instead of a hybridization of modern age and magic, it also brought back the 4 party group which was lacking in 7,8, and even some later ones. But this too would be personal taste.

That said, FF: Tactics was a fantastic game, and that's not just my opinion either.
"I don't like this game" does not equal "this game is bad". People really need to stop with that nonsense.

To answer you both direclty, I have my own objective reasoning behind why I'm not particularly a fan of the FF series post VI. The short version is Squaresoft moved towards flashiness over substance and incredibly shallow characters and story.
We'll take over this whole thread in debate about the FF series rather than actually talking about the thread topic. But I would say knowing what I know I would objectively call them bad games. But "objective" can only be measured as far as any critic is concerned. And there will always be people who disagree with any critic, regardless of knowledge or expertise in a given subject. I once got in a similar argument over hamburgers. McDonalds objectively sells more burgers than anyone else in the world. But if you're going to tell me that's better and that any opinion I have to the contrary is wrong, I would say you're delusional. That would be ignoring quite a bit about what makes food great in service to something that is mass market and cheap. Granted these two subject matters cannot be directly compared, but the point remains.

At the end of the day, a lot of people played FF games post VI, probably far more than people pre-VI, and they got a lot of enjoyment out of them. Sure, I enjoy a mindless action flick the same as anyone else from time to time. But that doesn't make the games good. I got my 60+ hours out of FF7 like a lot of people. I even played it more than once. If that is your basis for good then that's good enough for you. But it's a far cry from a great RPG.

To answer you both direclty, I have my own objective reasoning behind why I'm not particularly a fan of the FF series post VI. The short version is a move towards flashiness over substance and incredibly shallow characters and story.
We'll take over this whole thread in debate about the FF series rather than actually talking about the thread topic. But I would say knowing what I know I would objectively call them bad games. But "objective" can only be measured as far as any critic is concerned. And there will always be people who disagree with any critic, regardless of knowledge or expertise in a given subject. I once got in this argument over hamburgers. McDonalds objectively sells more burgers than anyone else in the world. But if you're going to tell me that's better and that any opinion I have to the contrary is wrong, I would say you're delusional. That would be ignoring quite a bit about what makes food great in service to something that is mass market and cheap. Granted these two subject matters cannot be directly compared, but the point remains.

At the end of the day, a lot of people played FF games post VI, probably far more than people pre-VI, and they got a lot of enjoyment out of them. Sure, I enjoy a mindless action flick the same as anyone else from time to time. But that doesn't make the games good. I got my 60+ hours out of FF7 like a lot of people. I even played it more than once. If that is your basis for good then that's good enough for you. But it's a far cry from a great RPG.

You are not the sole arbiter of what is or is not good. Your reasons are NOT objective. There is absolutely nothing objective about "I don't like the direction the games went". That is entirely SUBJECTIVE, it is your OPINION not a stated fact. 6 shares many of the same problems as later games. In fact, I'd argue 6 was where Square started going down the "cinematic" approach to storytelling in their games.

You are not the sole arbiter of what is or is not good. Your reasons are NOT objective.
I made direct note of that in the post you quoted. You can argue that no critic is objective. And if you do that, then what is the point of any form of criticism? If that's what you're about I expect you to have the same amount of outrage on any game reviewer forum.

There is absolutely nothing objective about "I don't like the direction the games went". That is entirely SUBJECTIVE, it is your OPINION not a stated fact.
6 shares many of the same problems as later games. In fact, I'd argue 6 was where Square started going down the "cinematic" approach to storytelling in their games.

You're making a lot of assumptions about what I consider to be problems with the games and also in addition what I consider to be great about the previous games. But to reiterate upon a reiteration, critisism is by nature subjective but it is based upon objective choices that devs made inside of games. You're essentially saying any and all games are good and cannot be argued to the contrary. I'll remember this conversation. If I ever see you critique any game for any reason regardless of what it is: I'll just remind you that you're being subjective and the devs thought loot boxes were good, boring repetitve gameplay is fine, asset flips should be paid for, and spending 100% more on special editions and another 100% on DLC's for half-complete buggy games is fine because the Dev said it's fine and subjectively that's their opinion so it's okay. Because it's all subjective and no opinion is valid. So what's the point? Why are we here? Why are you even bothering?

Last edited:
Back