Pentium g4560 selling too well for Intel's liking?

https://www.techpowerup.com/235035/...ng-core-i3-sales-company-effectively-kills-it

Intel Pentium G4560 dual-core socket LGA1151 processor is too good for Intel's comfort. For the past two generations, Intel has enabled HyperThreading on Pentium dual-core chips, and expanded L3 cache amount from 2 MB to 3 MB; which had been the two key differentiators for the company's Core i3 desktop lineup from Pentium. HyperThreading was warranted by an increasing number of games and applications which wouldn't work without at least 4 logical CPUs. The G4560 is a formidable part at its USD $64 price - 2 cores, 4 threads, the latest "Kaby Lake" micro-architecture, 3 MB L3 cache, and 3.50 GHz clock speeds. On the flip side, it makes buying Core i3 dual-core parts close to double its price a dumb option. Intel's solution? Effectively kill it.

Entire article seems to be based around a slight price increase on amazon due to high demand. Talk about clickbait.
https://geizhals.eu/intel-pentium-g4560-bx80677g4560-a1558362.html

No kidding. This article is based off a digiworthy article, which is then claimed to be based off a Hardware.fr article but no link provided, so after searching the french site I find the only thing relating to these chips which states that they are hard to get in France, and that will probably be the case for the near future as well. Then comes the kicker that all of this is based on, this single line that is a pull out of your ass guess (Google translated):

"Intel would have anticipated badly the request on this reference? Or is it an organized shortage in order to restore some appeal to the Core i3? Impossible to say ..."

Talking about circle jerk of click baits.

I saw it hit a couple of the usual sites and didn't check further, that is about as shaky as it gets when is comes to sourcing.

It does make you wonder what the purpose of the 7100 is since the 4560 or 4600 seem just as good for half the cost.

I saw it hit a couple of the usual sites and didn't check further, that is about as shaky as it gets when is comes to sourcing.

It does make you wonder what the purpose of the 7100 is since the 4560 or 4600 seem just as good for half the cost.
The purpose is to get the uninformed, or half informed customer.

The article might be clickbait.
But it's hard to justify paying 100% more for about 5-10% more performance.

OEMs for example doesn't pay that list price. And again, IGP and featureset difference as well.

With the CFL launch the i3 will be 4/4.

People have been buying these for mining rigs. Of course, they are going to raise the price when they see the demand go up. Business: how does it work?!?!?!

What a shitty article.

OEMs for example doesn't pay that list price. And again, IGP and featureset difference as well.

With the CFL launch the i3 will be 4/4.
I don't know where the feature set would even matter in an entry level desktop rig. As for the igp, if you're not gaming it makes no difference, if you're gaming you're gonna put in at least a lower middle class gpu anyway, so we're back to paying twice the money for performance that you probably won't even notice outside of actual benchmarks.

7600K is also sold out several places now including amazon. And 7700K starting to be sold out too.

G4560 has had a price increase here, to the point where it is literally $3 cheaper than G4600 (just shy of $80), making G4600 probably the best performance to price ratio. Meanwhile i3-7100 is $120.

I am actually a bit concerned about how Ryzen 3 is going to compete against them, given the fact that even the lowly pentiums run 16 PCI-E lanes, but low end Ryzen only has 8.

G4560 has had a price increase here, to the point where it is literally $3 cheaper than G4600 (just shy of $80), making G4600 probably the best performance to price ratio. Meanwhile i3-7100 is $120.

I am actually a bit concerned about how Ryzen 3 is going to compete against them, given the fact that even the lowly pentiums run 16 PCI-E lanes, but low end Ryzen only has 8.

Ryzen 3 is just for business use so I doubt it will matter much. I dont see it being a big seller and I think AMD will be happy with that since they are not having trouble with making chips with this node.

PCI-e lanes really don't matter much for these kinds of computers. Same for the G4560. They were made for bottom of the barrel basic internet and office suit work loads for business computers. These computers use the iGPU and have one storage drive with a few USB ports. My company starting to replace our current computers with these junk wanna be NUC computers.

As a guy who works in tech, I'm selling WAAAAY more pentiums than i3s for budget gaming builds. Before the HT pentiums, I would caution buyers on only having two threads, the HT pentiums basically made the i3s less relevant.

A G4560 and GTX 1050Ti make a great budget gaming build. Gamersnexus.net did a comparison and the G4560 was very close to the i3 in gaming performance for about 40% less MSRP.

I don't remember how much the G4560 cost, but with the current pricing the best mainstream CPU is the G4600. I think the IGP in it is fast enough to accelerate 4k video, and with the right motherboard HDMI and DP can both output 4k. Perfect processor for non-gamers.

g4600 has the better IGP current prices are about $8 apart according to PCPP, I'm waiting for my local Microcenter to get the g4560 back in stock for $56.99

G4560 has fallen back to launch prices now over this side of the pacific, so it's about $11 difference between it and G4600 as opposed to 30c (not kidding).

That is what I'm waiting on non in stock at my store.

Update-spoke too soon my store has a few reserving now.

The G4560 has basically taken the same spot as the G3258 - it's a value purchase for DIY basic builds.
First off, like the G3258, it's a dual-core with a decent IGP (which have not been able to be used in the same phrase until said G3258 - which sports the Intel 4400IGP from Ivy Bridge).
The upgrade path is Core i-series in the same socket (same as the old G3258), and, like the '58, you don't have to throw anything else away.
Unless you are building a pure gaming machine, the G4560 is definitely a value play.

I'm thinking of returning the the g4560, it's a fine chip but I think I may just pony up more money and get something better.

Define "better" - if the CPU you are considering can fit the same motherboard, don't return it - save it as a backup. (When I went Q6600, it replaced an E3400 - which still worked - so I saved the Celery with Tabasco sauce as the backup,)
If I were to find a decent-condition LGA1150 i3 or i5-K, the '58 would move to backup status. If I wound up going to LGA1151, I would start with the G4560 (for the same reasons I went with the '58) and go to something beefier later. If anything, the fly in the potion is Ryzen - do you exactly HAVE that option on the AMD side?

It's for a few reasons, my upgrade path would end with a 7700 (non k)seeing as Coffee lake will not work on a B250 board from reports. Right now it seems that the R5 is really a good value with a 1600 available at under $200. Or I could even start with a 1200 and likely have several years worth of upgrade-ability along with over clocking on a B350 board. Lastly I'd prefer to support competition in the market and spending a hundred or so more does that and gets me a better CPU.

Also I may just sell the G4560 and make $15.

I won't be building for a while so I have time to decide.

Yea it's hard for me to buy anything intel when I could get a new CPU in 2 years and that's all I swap out. Leaning towards a 1200 in my htpc

Back