Pentium G3258 CPU + B85 motherboard $82

From what I understand the board will overclock, but doesn't offer much on voltage tweaks.... so I think you're pretty much stuck with stock voltage. That should still get you pretty far with the 3258...

I must add that this is sooooo tempting as an upgrade for the aging C2D E5200 in our HTPC.... Hell I already have a 4GB stick of Corsair XMS3 1600 laying around.....

I must add that this is sooooo tempting as an upgrade for the aging C2D E5200 in our HTPC.... Hell I already have a 4GB stick of Corsair XMS3 1600 laying around.....

Similar situation here, but the question I keep asking myself is what can't my current E3300/GT240 HTPC do that needs to be addressed? The answer is nothing. It still flies with an SSD in it.

Last edited:
They dropped it another $3 today and added a free shipping option. It's down to $79 after rebate. I'm in for one.

How does this thing stack up against my 750K in day to day usage? I've read comparisons but it doesn't really tell me what to expect. I mainly do college work, run some Linux VMs, do some light gaming - mostly Borderlands 2 and soon the Pre-sequel in October. Is this a viable option or should I stick with my 750K?

Looks like a super deal for someone looking for some fun playing around with this chip. Not for me though, a file server using a Celeron 1037u would be better for the lower power consumption. Great find though, nonetheless. :)

I bought the bundle but this seems to have gone up to $36 bucks. Reading around on forums mentions that it's on sale for $26 bucks regularly from various vendors, though, so hopefully this will drop soon.

Now I also need a micro-atx case like the Fractal Arc Mini so I can hold my rads.

Yeah, there was a $10 promo code that expired the 30th I believe. Even $36 for a Seasonic S12II based unit with a 5yr warranty is a great deal. With one of these little G3258 dual cores, it should be able to support almost any single GPU you throw at it.

Of course if I were doing a gaming rig with a G3258 I'd probably try to find a Z97 combo (MC or TD) for the vcore options.

I got GA-B85M-DS3H version 1.1

anyone know what 2.0 gives?
(did anyone get a 2.0)?

EDIT: so far, what I've read is that 1.1 is 4 phase and 2.0 is 3 phase

Last edited:
Back