Pentium G3240 stock thin cooler on i5 4570. Safe?

I'm upgrading from intel Pentium G3240 (53W TDP) to i5 4570 (84W TDP), yet maintaining that same thin intel Pentium stock cooler (no copper core). Should I be worried about heat dissipation? Tuniq TX2 thermal paste applied is pea sized. When idling, HWiNFO64 shows CPU package 48°c, motherboard 38°c, HDD 35°c, GPU 39°c. Load is about 90°c. My room is 28°c. Are the readings normal? I know the i5 stock cooler is the thin cooler but with copper core. Hence, I'm a bit worried.
Screenshot of OCCT stress test attached.

Attachments

• 20200228-195124-CPUOCCT.png
    20200228-195124-CPUOCCT.png
    122.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200228-195124-CPUOCCT2.png
    20200228-195124-CPUOCCT2.png
    191.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
For stress testing that is too hot but that is not how you will use your pc. What are temp loads during normal usage?

The stock cooler is basically the cheapest way to guarantee Intel's specified base performance for the given TDP. Using the 53W solution on the 84W CPU is going to lead to problems. Even at full load, 90C is too much for a stock cooler, you shouldn't even be idling at 48C! The scale on the graph is too poor to see what the frequency is, but I'd bet the CPU is thermal throttling. For $20 you can get something loads better like a Hyper 212.

But as Bowman15 said, depends on what you use it for. Web browsing, basic stuff? No worries. Anything that is going to make use of the CPU needs a better cooler.

For stress testing that is too hot but that is not how you will use your pc. What are temp loads during normal usage?
50°c while watching 720p YouTube video in Firefox.
Went to BIOS and set the CPU fan speed to full (HWiNFO shows 2000rpm). Surprisingly, it's still pretty quiet. It's now 44°c while YouTube.

Attachments

• tempstockyoutube.JPG
    tempstockyoutube.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The scale on the graph is too poor to see what the frequency is, but I'd bet the CPU is thermal throttling.

But as Bowman15 said, depends on what you use it for. Web browsing, basic stuff? No worries. Anything that is going to make use of the CPU needs a better cooler.
Based on the OCCT screenshot, the frequency stays constant. No sign of thermal throttling.
It's just for basic Microsoft Office jobs, web surfing and online videos.

Last edited:
Based on the OCCT screenshot, the frequency stays constant. No sign of thermal throttling.
It's just for basic Microsoft Office jobs, web surfing and online videos.

Looks like it doesn't mind getting that hot, then, but you are still under fresh conditions. Keep the dust down and the airflow available; it will only get hotter over time.

You should be fine for those tasks, but personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with my low-use systems running that warm even while at idle, let alone load.

Looks like it doesn't mind getting that hot, then, but you are still under fresh conditions. Keep the dust down and the airflow available; it will only get hotter over time.

You should be fine for those tasks, but personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with my low-use systems running that warm even while at idle, let alone load.
In Win10 Power Option, my PC set to Performance Mode. It hovers at 3.5GHz - 3.6GHz all the time. Could this be related? Do you guys actually use the Balanced power option?

That would certainly do it. Haswell uses next to nothing when allowed to idle properly, which is why I was so concerned about your idle temps, because I assumed that was for a CPU at 800MHz. There's no reason to use performance mode if you don't need it; switch to balanced, or better yet, power saver and tweak the settings to fit your preference.

I use custom power settings on all my computers because they are either running BOINC when I'm not at them (need performance, but allowed to downclock when crunching is suspended), or they're servers and set to only power up anything when the need arises for a small compromise on latency.

We have Intel systems running constant at 60C their entire lives. As long as it's under the threshold it will be fine.

And yes use the balanced mode. Yout daily tasks don't need high performance all the time. You can turn it on performance mode for long gaming sessions but really not needed.

Here's the temperature after setting to balanced power mode. Room temperature is now 29°c.

Attachments

• Capturebb.JPG
    Capturebb.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 0
Back