Pentium D805 decent upgrade?

KevC

Supreme [H]ardness
I currently have an Athlon64 2800+. It's running stock right now, but it's been at 2.2GHz, 2.3GHz stable.

I was poking around dual core processors and WOW AMD chips are expensive compared to Intel. I saw the Pentium D805, and it's cheap cheap cheap.

Is this because this is the new celeron?

2.66GHz, 2x1MB cache, EM64T

I have been out of the loop for a while, but would this be a decent upgrade? Hopefully overclocking her to at least 3Ghz or so?

The ONLY thing I use my computer for nowadays is Photoshop. I am hoping this will help?

The dual core amd will serve that intel processor up on a silver platter.

D805 is horribly, horrible underclocked. My 2gig opteron(dual socket) setup outperforms a p4 dual core system. Not a great comparison but a dual core opteron of the same clock speed would perform within a few percentage points of the dual socket system.

You're looking at dual cores at 2.66mghz each, that's the equiv of probably an opteron 265(1.8ghz), which is more expensive but you'll get alot better performance out of it. The x2 3800 is even cheaper than the opteron solution AND a faster clock speed.

You're going to pay for a quality product, if you're on a budget, by all means go intel there, if you want performance, go amd dual core.

With the intel chip you would need a new mobo as well.

edit: sorry didn't realize you had a socket 754

Definately a worthwhile upgrade. Go for it, and overclock it. You'll have a sweet system.

it's true that the intel dual cores are much more expensive, but you'll pay alot more for the motherboards so it pretty much evens out. if your motherboard supports an x2 3800+, i think i'd just go that route and avoid having to change hsf/processor/motherboard/ram

at stock speed, the 805 isn't a great performing chip, but it seems like it makes a really great overclocker. the 3800s aren't so terrible at overclocking either, though your milage always varies when it comes to overclocking. if i was building a new system, it would be a toss up but if i was just upgrading, i'd stick with amd if it meant that i only had to change one part and not have to go through the trouble of ebaying the rest

as a bit of a side question - it's my understanding that the 805 only has a 533mhz fsb. isn't this horribly stifiling, considering this chip is dual core and the cores use the fsb to talk to each other?

OK, you're running an A64 2800+, which means you are on S754. You'll need a new motherboard either way.

You can get a new motherboard and dual-core AMD processor. You will spend a lot on the processor, and a good bit on the board, but you will be able to keep your DDR memory.

You can also get a new motherboard, cheap dual-core Intel, and some DDR2. You will spend a lot less on the processor, and the motherboard will be the same price, but you will need some new memory ($60/GB).

The Intel will end up being slightly cheaper, but the AMD will perform a lot better. I say save a bit and go for an A64X2 3800+. You won't regret it.

I'd say keep your current system a few more months and upgrade when Conroe comes out. You won't regret it.

jon67 said:
I'd say keep your current system a few more months and upgrade when Conroe comes out. You won't regret it.

this seems like a good idea.

sorry for my advice above - read your chip as a 3800 instead of a 2800 and didn't realize you were on 754

I'd say if he wants to work with something nice now, the budjet system wouldn't hurt you know. Plus he can reuse his DDR2 for conroe if he does infact choose to upgrade and sell his mobo and cpu as a combo to someone. Either way you're looking to spend ~ 300.

I'm just gonna lend my 2 cents to this thread... I agree with VoBoy... if you're looking for a budget upgrade now, something that will give you a good OC, then the 805 is worth considering. Some people have been able to get in the range of 3.6GHz to 3.9GHz stable on the stock HSF with the 805... it will go higher with better cooling and if paired with the right mobo. Not bad for a budget processor.

Thanks for all the replies.

I just realized the FSB of the D805 is only 533. Photoshop is the MAIN reason I will be upgrading, wouldn't memory performance be crucial?

My A64 currently has an onboard memory controller (IIRC), would it be better?

Also... does DDR2 make a significant difference? Or would I be wasting my money buying more DDR and getting the S939 system down the road?

Kev I am in the same boat as you. I have a 2800 that I can spin up to 2.5 if I have the fan screaming. Right now I run it stock. Next week I am picking up an abit p5p800-se motherboard. I will have $210 in my upgrade total. From what I have read the abit board has an 865PE chipset that is dual core compatible. It uses ddr ram and has an AGP slot.

I will be keeping my patriot ram, and 6800 AGP card. I am hoping that from what I have read the board can lock the multiplier at 14 so I am hoping for about 3.2-3.6 with the stock heatsink, and the FSB at 220-260 mhz.

I think it was shown that the 533-->800 FSB thing doesn't affect performance all that much. At least, nothing a bit of overclocking won't fix ;)

I agree if you want a cheap fast upgrade the 805 is good for that.

One thing no one here yet mentioned was that the 805 does not have speedstep or any kind of thermal management. Intel disabled all heat management on this chip. Infact it runs hotter at 2.65Ghz then the 855 extreme ed.

So yes it is very overclockable and yes it is a great bang for the buck...and Oh BTW it also doubles as a great space heater.

Flame On,

Mackintire

I have built both the X2 and Intel 805 and let me say that they both do well.

If it's bleeding edge gaming then cough up the dough and go X2.
But if your budget is tight and you can deal with not owning "the best dual proc" then get the intel. If you pair the intel with ati chipset mobo it's a good system.

I briefly read the thread but I thought you said you use photoshop. As far as Adobe products are concerned the benchmarks I have seen tend to favor Intel.

Either way you go dual core systems seem to run much smoother and you will definitely notice the difference.

Happy building.

The P4 dual cores are not all bad, and some can easily rival or beat the Opteron/X2 line when both OCed, the 805 is not that chip though.

If you are going to go Intel P4 dual core, you want a 9xx series chip. The 920 is about $75 more than the 805, but well worth it. It is Presler core vs. Smithfield, so, 65 nm vs. 90, which means it runs much cooler, and OCes much better (most people have been getting 4.0 to 4.5 Ghz on air easily with 920s and 930s), it has double the cache of the 8xx series, and a better way of utilizing it.

I dont know you tell me, this 805 sits comfortable at 3.2 Ghz on a retail heatsink. The ram multiplier is set to 4/5 with the ram at 218 with tight settings. I assume it is slightly slower but similar to an 840EE in its heyday. Board/chip 230 shipped.

Back