Pentium 4 Prescott 3GHz w/1MB L2 cache question

Super Mario

Limp Gawd
How much of a performance improvement is there with the Pentium 4 3.0GHz Prescott with 1MB of Level 2 cache over the Pentium 4 3.0GHz with 512KB of Level 2 cache? Is it worth upgrading to a Prescott P4 with 1MB of L2 cache?

The performance is nearly identical to the 3.0C. In every benchmark I've seen, there is a 0-5% performance difference, and sometimes the 'C' Pentium 4 is ahead in these benchmarks. It's not worth upgrading to Prescott unless the sole reason is something new to overclock. At this point, there is no further appeal. It's worth noting, though, that the Prescott Pentium 4 (the 'E' model) carries the SSE3 extensions which will eventually (in a year or so) start to bring a little more performance to some applications. As it is now, I recommend against the purchase of a Pentium 4 'E' for 99% of people.

Intel even said its not suppose to be there top proccesor nor fastest one, it was a just a new one they wanted to come out with because of its advanced technology that they will start using in later processors. I don't really understand the point of it but, oh well.
Like xonik said, it runs much hotter and itsn't any faster then the other 3.0ghz.

don't buy it heheh.
wait for next gen CPU (AMD socket 939 or Intel LGA 775)
that's what i'm doing

Originally posted by USMC2Hard4U
KOSLOV... tell me that computer in your sig is not your main rig.....

Thats nice....

Who cares if he is running an outdated computer:rolleyes:

At equal clock speeds, the Prescott actually loses to the P4C. And it loses HUGE. The Prescott's 31-stage pipeline is even longer than the P4C's 20-stage "hyperpipeline," and branch mispredictions cause the pipeline to hamper performance. Why do you think the 2.2GHz AMD FX-51 has about the same performance as a 3.4GHz P4EE?

Not only that, but the Prescott runs hotter than a 350 V8, and for less performance, I wouldn't touch it with a...well...I wouldn't touch it at all.

Originally posted by KingoftheBritons
At equal clock speeds, the Prescott actually loses to the P4C. And it loses HUGE. The Prescott's 31-stage pipeline is even longer than the P4C's 20-stage "hyperpipeline," and branch mispredictions cause the pipeline to hamper performance. Why do you think the 2.2GHz AMD FX-51 has about the same performance as a 3.4GHz P4EE?

Not only that, but the Prescott runs hotter than a 350 V8, and for less performance, I wouldn't touch it with a...well...I wouldn't touch it at all.

The prescott does run hotter...

But the prescott does NOT lose 'huge' clock for clock to the P4c.. Its about equal.

Back