Pentagon Will Reward Hackers Who Find Security Problems on Its Websites

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is a new "Hack The Pentagon" bug bounty program out now that, instead of netting you prison time, you can win $150,000. I'm not sure what kind of hacker will submit to a background check but you never know. Thanks to fightingfi for the link.

The "Hack the Pentagon" bug bounty program begins today and will run until May 12. During that window, hackers will try to find vulnerabilities in the Defense Department's public websites to win $150,000. For a group usually averse to providing personal information, there is a catch. Every participant in the program has to agree to a background check before participating in the program.

trap.png

Let's invite a flurry of hacking activity on what should be a secure site so we can't tell the bounty hunters from real threats. I'm sure its harmless like Target's HVAC controllers were harmless in terms of customer data.

humm so they can track what you do afterwards... and use the money trail to find out if you are selling info to forigne powers... but the money is still basically free and clear... humm might also be to find any back doors people coded in and close those holes with a new update would be my guess... if you are hacking for money usually you get in trouble eventually by taking money to trash sites or security so someone else can fix it for a fee... still if you know your way around a bug tracker at least the one person you can depend on to pay up for contracts is uncle sam... especially since they are going have to log every entry in triplicate and the people checking are likely not the ones deciding who to pay... still might be worth the time if there are any exploits... my guess is all the easy ones are already covered...

edit: oh the page says that it is a share of 150,000 not 150,000 each. oh and the site is offline likely due to your competistion not wanting anyone to submit bugs that they might use. grin.

Last edited:
Back