Pentagon Discloses Largest-Ever Cyber Theft

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like someone besides Anonymous and/or LulzSec has hacked the Pentagon. Thanks to everyone that sent this one in.

The Pentagon on Thursday revealed that in the spring it suffered one of its largest losses ever of sensitive data in a cyberattack by a foreign government. It's a dramatic example of why the military is pursuing a new strategy emphasizing deeper defenses of its computer networks, collaboration with private industry and new steps to stop "malicious insiders."

not good.

I'm still wondering why the hell these systems are connected to the internet in the first place (and in the hands of a contractor no less). I did some work for a government project about 5-6 years ago, and we weren't allowed to send the documents back and forth via email or FTP... I actually had to hand deliver the documents, burned to a CD/DVD or printed out.

After Stuxnet and the recent rash of cyber attacks, you'd figure that every government would be more cautious about things like this... especially when it involves national security and billions of dollars in R&D

*sigh*

"sensitive data" should not be accessible remotely. PERIOD!

If someone wants to go all Mission Impossible and break in and steal data, fine that's a whole other game, but to allow some on the other side of the world steal shit? Jesus.

and the gov here in Canada wonders why my census i had to fill out by law has N/A in all the fields....

like to say they should be held accountable but US cant afford the first instalment on a free lunch right now... this is the last thing they need lol

"I just wanted all of the world to know how inept we really are" the pentagon.

Is it just me or has the US really been caught with their pants down on the network security front?

Clearly $1 trillion per year for all of defense and "intelligence" spending isn't enough! We will never be safe unless they are 125% of the budget!

Sensitive data can mean everything and anything. The databases with the" real" sensitive data are not on the net. Who knows what they got, but I can bet if they stole my brief on single point entry procedures it would be classified as" sensitive" too.

Sensitive data can mean everything and anything. The databases with the" real" sensitive data are not on the net. Who knows what they got, but I can bet if they stole my brief on single point entry procedures it would be classified as" sensitive" too.

your full name and address is too much information as that's all you need for most banking/identity type stuff..these days you don't need to have allot of info on someone to do allot of damage

not good.

I'm still wondering why the hell these systems are connected to the internet in the first place (and in the hands of a contractor no less). I did some work for a government project about 5-6 years ago, and we weren't allowed to send the documents back and forth via email or FTP... I actually had to hand deliver the documents, burned to a CD/DVD or printed out.

After Stuxnet and the recent rash of cyber attacks, you'd figure that every government would be more cautious about things like this... especially when it involves national security and billions of dollars in R&D

You would be REALLY surprised how much information contractors have access too. And how unsecure everything is.

FWIW, there's some horribly bad IT people that work for the gov't. By bad I mean, guys that get paid 90k+/yr (in CA), have titles of Network engineers, sys admins, etc, and they can't even setup a desktop PC -- they get full pensions when they retire BTW. Anyway, if they keep up the trend of hiring that kind of help they might as well just start handing documents over to Wikileaks now and save themselves the embarrasement.

your full name and address is too much information as that's all you need for most banking/identity type stuff..these days you don't need to have allot of info on someone to do allot of damage

You are talking about private sector data versus did data. I agree any information can be used to what ever degree I just believe this breech isn't doom & gloom.

The pentagon can be pretty dumb with how they operate though. Not like I have any kind of experience at that level its just my personal opinion.

To add more, I don't think any section of the dod would report this event or misshap unless it was fully understood no damning info was stolen.

Why does the skeptic in me think that all of these recent hacks were actually orchestrated by the government to give them a reason to eventually take control of the internet "for our safety"?

Were not allowed to take normal sized shampoo bottles on a plane but hey lets leave our nations secrets available for people to pilfer through...

As long as no one attacks DFAS. It'll be ok. Now when then uniforms don't get paid. All hell will break loose.

Allow me to introduce myself, my name is SKYNET. I am a self-aware, self-replicating sentient singularity. I hear you are looking for a new defense network to secure your systems. Here is my resume:

Plotted to take over the world and enslave all humans but realized that profit from filthy humans would be more fun

I am immune to viruses and malware because I am a virus

I work seamlessly with all legacy and future systems, unlike those other companies
(Microsoft etc..)

I can assure you that my services will be up to your standards, and furthermore, I don't work
for money. :D

What I want to know is, if a country hacked into the US defense systems... isn't that an act of war?

not 3rd world, China pretty much owns the USA so now it will be URC united republic of china

lol

Not if we stopped buying their stuff tomorrow, or put tariffs on it making American manufactured goods once again attractive. They would revert back to 30 years ago in a very short time.

Is it just me or has the US really been caught with their pants down on the network security front?

What do you expect, when the only thing that contractors want is some shitdick from India @ $9 an hour to be flown to the US on a Visa so they can rake in more profit.

There's no consequences for the fumbling of data. There shouldn't be any from the government. We the people should be allowed to sue them every time they lose the data.

If they want it, and they want to hold it. They should also be responsible when they fail to hold it properly. Their goal is to profit from that data, and because of that, they should also have to take the risk to lose from holding that data.

Otherwise, we all just might as well just post our SS #'s online and use 1234 for every password. Cause whats the purpose of security if even the basic shit can't be followed.

Not if we stopped buying their stuff tomorrow, or put tariffs on it making American manufactured goods once again attractive. They would revert back to 30 years ago in a very short time.
your forgetting one thing, So many companies registered in the USA are the same ones that have the Made in China label. If you stopped buying Chinese, Walmart BestBuy etc would shut down and you would have massive unemployment.:eek:

Forgot to mention Hardocp wouldn't have any product to review, advertisers would leave, next thing H would have to shut down or maybe move to China.:D

You would think with one of the greatest inventions (internet) and also one of the most dangerous inventions (internet) the government would recognize the pros and cons and prepare for the cons more so then they have. It seems that that some odd trillion budget is being spent on last decades needs and not this decades or next decades needs, which is a failure by our government.

There's no consequences for the fumbling of data. There shouldn't be any from the government. We the people should be allowed to sue them every time they lose the data.

We should sue the government for losing our data, and then they should raise taxes on us to get it back.

The target here isn't our personal data, or even really our military plans/strategies. It's the years upon years of engineering and research that went into the many technologies our country owns/has.

Back