Pentagon Cracks Down on Cell Phones

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
In a report from the Associated Press, the Defense Department has approved new restrictions on electronic devices within the Pentagon. The memo, signed by Deputy Secretary Patrick Shanahan, primarily clarifies current procedures, procedures that state that phones be left in storage containers outside of secure areas, but instead of an outright ban, it dies state that cell phones can still be used in common areas, and other Pentagon offices where classified information is not present. The memo covers "laptops, tablets, cellular phones, smartwatches, and other devices” that are portable, can wirelessly transmit information and have “a self-contained power source."

An interesting thing is what caused the Defense Department to review the policies. In January we reported how fitness-tracking app Strava was inadvertently disclosing the location and layout of military installations from soldiers using fitness trackers. Strava's global heat map showed scattered activity in war zones, suggesting that they could pinpoint military or government personnel.

I'm honestly surprised that these policies were not more heavily enforced prior to a fitness tracking app showing that an always on GPS enabled microphone with a high speed cellular internet connection being in a classified area may be a bad idea. I believe an outright ban would have been a better idea.

"In this day and age, with the level of threat-based technologies, most of those devices should never get anywhere near a classified workspace,” Garry Reid, the Pentagon’s director for defense intelligence, told The Associated Press in an interview. “We know that mobile wireless devices have recording capabilities and cameras and it’s not appropriate for those to be in secure workspaces. So we have to put control procedures in place."

Umm that's always been the case. No cellphones or cameras in SCIFs. Pagers are as far as you can go with calls

I worked at Lockheed Martin for a time and it was a huge thing when someone accidentally brought a cell phone into the SCIF. It was tracked by the customer for sure and our (program's) bonus (which was never given to the employees) was affected by it.

Here's an idea to follow as well, don't have computers with classified documents externally or remotely available at all.

As travisty stated, it's always been a thing. There was always lockers outside the secure areas. Those who worked in there had their own lockers assigned to them. Anyone else who entered had to go through security, be verified, signed in, and made sure that they didn't have anything on them of that nature. This also included outside USB drives, etc... not just phones.

That said, I'm also surprised they had to bring this up again instead of just reinforcing what's already been in place.

Translation: Some idiots have been accidentally bringing their mobile devices inside of a SCIF.

Umm that's always been the case. No cellphones or cameras in SCIFs. Pagers are as far as you can go with calls

I worked at Lockheed Martin for a time and it was a huge thing when someone accidentally brought a cell phone into the SCIF. It was tracked by the customer for sure and our (program's) bonus (which was never given to the employees) was affected by it.

we're apparently part of the same world, and this is what I was thinking when I read it, too. Either the AP didnt understand this, or this isnt news:

"The memo, which was obtained by The Associated Press, largely clarifies current procedures and calls for stricter adherence to long-held practices that require phones be left in storage containers outside secure areas where sensitive matters are discussed. But it makes clear that cellphones can still be used in common areas and other offices in the Pentagon if classified information is not present."

uh, that's exactly the way it's always been. unless they're saying the phones are banned EVERYWHERE except perhaps a break room, unless for some god awful damn reason they have classified info laid out in a break room? Somebody's confused.

About time. We're not allowed to have personal cell phones at all, not just banned from a singular building such as a SCIF. They are to be left in your vehicles. Not allowed in break rooms, bathrooms, or anywhere else. Absolutely nothing past the check points. Our facility is rather large, and there are only pagers, flip phones, and blackberries for certain people. Conference rooms have no phones in them. Company cell phones are left outside in lock boxes with the batteries out of them. If a sudden meeting takes place in a room with a land line, its taken off the hook. There is a Verizon station on site for this reason to cover what we do use. No cameras, thumb drives, tablets, smart watches, etc. Absolutely nothing electronic that is personal. There is strict searching when going through checkpoints to ensure this does not happen. Its just better this way to help ensure that people don't do anything dumb.

It is rather nice to see people walking around with their heads up, not looking down at a phone. People having conversations, the chow hall has people actually communicating. Simply amazing when people don't have their personal phones.

About time. We're not allowed to have personal cell phones at all, not just banned from a singular building such as a SCIF. They are to be left in your vehicles. Not allowed in break rooms, bathrooms, or anywhere else. Absolutely nothing past the check points. Our facility is rather large, and there are only pagers, flip phones, and blackberries for certain people. Conference rooms have no phones in them. Company cell phones are left outside in lock boxes with the batteries out of them. If a sudden meeting takes place in a room with a land line, its taken off the hook. There is a Verizon station on site for this reason to cover what we do use. No cameras, thumb drives, tablets, smart watches, etc. Absolutely nothing electronic that is personal. There is strict searching when going through checkpoints to ensure this does not happen. Its just better this way to help ensure that people don't do anything dumb.

It is rather nice to see people walking around with their heads up, not looking down at a phone. People having conversations, the chow hall has people actually communicating. Simply amazing when people don't have their personal phones.

Have a couple friends that work in miltech and their offices are just like you describe. They basically have had an in only policy for 2+ decades (in the old days, can bring CDs in, never able to bring them out). They have "cell" phones for onsite that never leave the building and outside cell phones (or any other electronics) are never allowed in the building.

IMHO in the near future everything high tech will be monitored AND controlled by discrete operatives much like The Outer Limits had control of your TV set back in the 60's ... :cool:

I suspect in the case of any future activities like in the past they are just thinking ahead of time. Just imagine someone filming a 12 foot hole supposedly created my aluminum fuselage while engines made up of steel and titanium just disintegrate not even cracking windows.

My sister is a Naval Officer, who's assignment is at the Pentagon. I died laughing, but was like "damn glad she can handle her own" when twice she yelled at citizens posing for pictures.
It's hilarious, because there's literally signs every 30-40 feet stating "no cameras allowed."
One of the times was a family of like 9 or 10 people looking at her as if she "had lost her mind" until a cop showed as she was finishing. Spent another 5 minutes chatting w/ them about the same thing.

Met her CO a 3-star admiral once when she got an award for "sailor of the quarter." He was like "I remind them all, if you see anybody, especially an employee or even me with a cell phone or a camera. You lay into them for that."

edit:
Another short story about how serious, but how wicked the Pentagon can be. A gate guard got an award for refusing to let in some bigwig general or admiral from getting in with his car due to forgotten credentials. Guard literally asked "sir, if you come through here, do I shot the driver or you first?" O.O

Last edited:
Back