Pennsylvania Proposes Tax on Mature Video Games Due to Violence, School Shootings

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Four members of Pennsylvania’s House of Representatives are supporting a 10% tax on mature-rated video games: House Bill 2705 proposes a tax that is “imposed on each separate sale at retail of video games which have an adults-only rating or mature rating according to the rating system established by the [ESRB].” A memo submitted by the bill’s top sponsor suggests that recent school shootings (e.g., Parkland, FL) played a part in the tax’s inception.

“Over the past few years, acts of violence in schools seem to be occurring more frequently and with more intensity. From Colorado to Connecticut to most recently in Parkland, Florida, students have experienced unthinkable actions by peers in a place that should promote learning and enrichment, safety and protection.”

2. Galvin

Galvin 2[H]4U

Lets tax everything now and get it over with. That's we're heading

3. spintroniX

spintroniX Gawd

Greedy government, always looking to steal more money for "the children".

4. That_Sound_Guy

That_Sound_Guy 2[H]4U

Tax or take away - The only solutions of arrogant ignorant people in government.

Vader1975, Armenius, AlphaQup and 9 others like this.
  5. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Fuck science we need a tax!

6. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

Well this moeny got towards fixing the issues or is it just a case grab pretende to do good ?

at some point we have to realize that the us system is a whole is just built to produce criminals and psychopathic behavior.

Vader1975, Armenius, AlphaQup and 5 others like this.
  7. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

As the article says, video games are protected speech, they were granted free speech protections by the Supreme Court. This is going to cost tax payers in the state a fuck load of money for something that will ultimately be ruled as unconstitutional.

Vader1975, raz-0, Armenius and 8 others like this.
  8. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

NICE JOB!

Problem solved!

AlphaQup, Sulphademus, Jza and 2 others like this.
  9. Ultima99

Ultima99 [H]ardness Supreme

What about TV, movies, and news reports on violence? :rolleyes:

10. RobCalleg

RobCalleg [H]Lite

What does video games have to do with terrible parenting and mental illness?

11. illaghee

illaghee Limp Gawd

man, as soon as you vote them in they become throwed off... jesus you cant tax every thing.. take a break.. steal less for bit.. give em a break..

12. 1Nocturnal101

1Nocturnal101 Gawd

There is always the ultimate reality, People will blame everything except themselves, Homer's Illiad is a classic and one would think taught in schools as mandatory reading, yet is 1000% more violent and sexual than any game I have played to date, the point is without context anything can be excessive or a negative infulence on an impressionable mind, that includes adults as well as younger children and young adults.

The fact leaders are entirely stupid enough taxing and somehow thinking this will make parents care, or stop games like these getting into impressionable young peoples hands is naive at best.

Tax everything for the sake of taxing it, because people can't balance a budget, and would rather alienate a group of individuals versus taxing everyone properly....and fairly.....

Vader1975, Darth Kyrie and DocNo like this.
  13. Smashing Young Man

Smashing Young Man [H]ard|Gawd

Yes, a frickin' tax will fix today's societal sickness.

14. DocNo

DocNo Gawd

Like that question has to be asked? Remember when lotteries were "for the children"? Except they didn't plus up the funding like they implied they would - they just decreased the "normal" budgets by whatever they got from the lotteries, and magically the normal budget that didn't get spent on schools stayed in the general funds so it could be spent on other stuff.

So it didn't help the schools at all. Surprise! Anyone that thinks that giving governments more money is going to solve anything is an idiot at this point. If there were some accountability for how funds were spent that were tied to measurable results, maybe. Even better how about if the stated goals aren't met the government has to refund everyone for not meeting the stated objectives? People can sue over a phone "missing" a few pixels but no one ever thinks to hold governments accountable for actually delivering crap? Give me a break...

15. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

Can we start tarring and feathering polishitians for making stupid laws!?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Vader1975 and mynamehere like this.
  16. DocNo

DocNo Gawd

From Columbine wikipedia page:

From Parkland wikipedia page:
    We aren't told details of the treatment, but I'd wager a small fortune psychotropic drugs were involved. Because drugs solve problems, mkay?

Go back and look since the 70's when mass shootings spiked. It has nothing to do with the prevalence of guns - guns have always been extremely prevalent in America since it's founding (for good reason!). What did change in the 70's was a sharp uptake are the introduction and use of psychotropic drugs in mainstream psychiatric treatment.

But since when is a politician actually interested really solving an issue? If there aren't issues then they can't exploit them for power and personal gain. I mean this tells you all you need to know about what's really going on:

Well doesn't that sound nice? Except if you really scrutinize it they haven't told you a damn thing about what they are really going to do with the money - except "tag" it with a warm fuzzy name composed of vauge hopes and platitudes. But it still goes in the general fund. Right.....

Authoritarian pricks.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  17. 1Nocturnal101

1Nocturnal101 Gawd

Take a look at a pack of cigarettes , How much is actual product cost versus taxes slapped on the item?

Armenius and Darth Kyrie like this.
  18. PeaKr

PeaKr Gawd

Lets start by cutting the politicians pay down to a reasonable level, say what the average person makes. Next cut their ridiculous retirement packages and force them to use obamacare. Next lets require them to have at least a bachelors degree in business or economics. Now lets get rid of 9 out of the 10 agencies that perform the same/similar tasks. Force people who use food stamps to buy only nutritious foods. And finally mandatory birth control to qualify for welfare assistance, until they can financially support themselves.

19. rflcptr

rflcptr [H]ardness Supreme

I'm not suggesting causation, but there's a correlation between the availability of games and violence in society: they're inversely related.

Armenius, SvenBent and cyclone3d like this.
  20. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

Easier to demonize.
    poiting fginer at faield parents mean alianitng some parents
    potingin finger at mntal illness you are aliniating the child

Pointin finger at a non animate objecte. no personla accusation = easy to get away with . lots of backing up
    easy eay easy.

nothing gets solved though.

Vader1975 and DocNo like this.
  21. 1Nocturnal101

1Nocturnal101 Gawd

Well regardless, the problem stems from taxing items to cover costs that no one is accountable for. Meaning taxes in general should go up or down as a whole not on selective situational items, otherwise one could simply say why am I paying for schools when I don't have children or plan on doing so, it's simply selective bargaining, because you buy this we need to cover costs, but yet only when we deem it, and that as a whole is why state soveriegnty is a crock at best, when you have states like NY, NJ, PA, CA that are considered the most corrupt with the highest taxes yet have the least benefit.

SvenBent likes this.
  22. Grimlaking

Grimlaking 2[H]4U

I thought video game purchases were already taxed. Did I miss some loophole to buy games tax free?

23. Krazy925

Krazy925 2[H]4U

I for one can’t wait for Pennsylvania to fall into the ocean.

illaghee likes this.
  24. illaghee

illaghee Limp Gawd

one state below me a pack of cigs is 4.38 here its 10.25 for same pack so lets say 6 and some change for the 'cig' tax but then the regular sales tax hits..

so for the games its violence tax then sales tax so 10% then 8%..

at what point have you gone too far?

25. illaghee

illaghee Limp Gawd

and dont get me started on the sugar drink tax.. that shits pushed a 2 ltr soda past 3.90

Vader1975, Armenius and GoldenTiger like this.
  26. dR.Jester

dR.Jester 2[H]4U

Taxation is theft.

RinkiDInk and Armenius like this.
  27. Tiburon1186

Tiburon1186 Gawd

Welcome to Taxylvania. I want to move away from this fucking state...

Armenius likes this.
  28. umeng2002

umeng2002 Gawd

How is stealing more money from the population going to stop stop nut from doing the same thing?

Vader1975 likes this.
  29. Derangel

Taxation is required in order for governments to function and provide the services you take advantage of every single day of your life. Humans being humans, that money is wasted on crap and used to line the pockets of the politicians.

30. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Remember when the British taxed & took away card games? Yeah that didn't work out well for them.

Vader1975 likes this.
  31. SecretStash

SecretStash Limp Gawd

I really wonder if there are people on this planet who believe that it will help reduce the violence.

Armenius likes this.
  32. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis 2[H]4U

Unless they are banking on people paying this tax and then not being able to afford guns/knives I'm not sure how this even works.

Also, would like to see 1 actual peer reviewed study that connects violent video games to violent acts.

Armenius likes this.
  33. whiz187

whiz187 Limp Gawd

Then they have to tax all TV sitcoms, cop shows and anything with a gun where somebody gets blown up. What a bunch of village idiots. We can all can watch Winnie the Poo.

Sounds like something CA would do, after all they are now going after all you text messages with a tax, no,no a fee, excuse me.

Armenius and GoldenTiger like this.
  34. Derangel

Convicted arms trafficker Leland Yee tried, multiple times, to regulate video games in California.

Armenius, GoldenTiger and Flogger23m like this.
  35. Flogger23m

Flogger23m [H]ardForum Junkie

Leland Yee (Democrat) tried to regulate violent video games in CA some years ago but it never went anywhere. He did successfully push some gun laws. Ironically, he now sits in prison for being involved with illegal weapon smuggling to terrorists in the Philippines if I recall.

36. KarsusTG

KarsusTG 2[H]4U

I don't agree with this, but I can understand why they would come to this conclusion. Video games, especially violent ones along with the rise of increasingly violent and gory television follow almost exactly to the rise of this type of violence. I honestly think it has more to do with the degradation of the american family than either of those things, but to actually prove it scientifically would take decades.

Arcygenical likes this.
  37. Derangel

You should take a look at US crime statistics. Violent crime is on a downward trend and has been for a long time. The only violent crime on the uptick right now (and massively so) is mass shootings and there are definitely a hell of a lot more complex things going on with that rise than violent media. Things like how piss poor mental health help is in the US.

RinkiDInk, Armenius, WhoMe and 2 others like this.
  38. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardForum Junkie

39. -=SOF=-WID99

-=SOF=-WID99 Limp Gawd

PA has the highest gas tax in the usa
    https://taxfoundation.org/state-gas-tax-rates-july-2018/
    PA SUX

bad roads high taxes ..no good jobs ..bad schools

lots of crime and many drug problems ..i know i live there ..this is a stupid cash grab by the state house that i hope gets voted down ..

Armenius and Mav451 like this.
  40. Flogger23m

Flogger23m [H]ardForum Junkie

Actually the homicide rate has risen these past few years. We were down to 3.8 and it was going further down until the BLM movement started. Various PDs in major cities around the nation curbed policing as a result of the protests in Missouri. In turn, the homicide rate went further up. This was predicted to happen around the time the famous "give them room to destroy" quote came about and I can't say I am surprised.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u....016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-4.xls

Sounds like 2017 saw a slight decrease, but we're still way up from 2014.

Armenius, GoldenTiger and DocNo like this.