Peltiers...What are they good for and how to use them?

rjolin01

[H]ard|Gawd
I am curious as to what peltiers are and how they are used. Are they used in conjuction with other cooling methods? Are they actually beneficial? How much do they cool? Will it work with my sig rig?

After reading those threads I am wondering with how far along air cooling has come will my Noctua NH-D14 be able to cool the peltier enough? Is it worth getting one for a i7 920 that I just cant get over to 4.2 cause of high temp?

After reading those threads I am wondering with how far along air cooling has come will my Noctua NH-D14 be able to cool the peltier enough? Is it worth getting one for a i7 920 that I just cant get over to 4.2 cause of high temp?

Peltiers use a decent amount of power to pull heat from one side to put in on the other side. Not only fdo you have to deal with the heat from the processor, you have to deal with the heat from the peltier.

If you are having heat problem without the peltier, you will have even worse heat problems if you add in a peltier with the same cooler.

How good is the airflow through you case? Do you have your cables out of the way so they don't hurt airflow?

What are your current temps at idle and under 100% load?

Do you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard?

What voltages are you using in BIOS? (List all of them.. none should be on auto).

Do you have 3x4GB or 6x2GB to make up your 12GB of RAM?

Peltiers really aren't worth using IMO. They use too much power and add too much heat for too little performance. Air, water, phase if you want to be extreme. Forget pelts.

Thermoelectric couples are cool, (pun intended) but unless you are looking for a low noise solution (which you will pay for, as your WC loop to cool the TECs will have to be quiet as well), a vapor phase chiller is the best way to go, more efficient, more cooling power, lower temperature, and cheaper :D

Back