Peltier cooling references?

SticKx911

2[H]4U
Anyone have any trustworthy references they'd recommend for research into peltier cooling. I'm thinking of adding one to boost my aging e5200 over 4ghz before tossing it. (its at 3.7 on water)

for $35 frozencpu has a 245W one that I think would suit me nicely. Not too much that condensation should be an issue, but if I don't get the result I hope for I wont be disappointed at that price.

i dont have any reading for you other then a google search, but il tell you this, which i learned from doing a project at work that dealt with peltiers....

(without a link/data sheet on the specific product you are looking at...) 245w is probably the power consumption, not heat removal. 60-80% of the power consumption will go to moving heat, the rest is lost to inefficiency. also that 245w number is probably at peak voltage of usually 14-18 volts. at 12 volts, its going to be pulling less, say 180w @12v.

if its pulling 180w @12v, that means it has the ability to move around 130w of heat energy from one side to the other, at best. in the project i was involved with, we had a component we had to cool that had a TDP of 110w of heat energy. we figured one of the 226w units you find everywhere would work, however after all the math, a "226 watt" peltier only moves about 86 to 90 watts of heat @12v.

the 5200 has a 65w TDP, but im not sure how much that increases with overclocking.

so after a little math the 5200 will pull around 135w of heat if I can get it to my ideal 4ghz. So maybe I'll need something a tad better.

and odd question than I'm sure I know the answer to, but do not see it in anything I've googled. Would a peltier transfer heat when off? lol, I know it's dumb, but say I wanted to revert to stock settings and just turn off the peltier for a little while (due to its inefficiency) , would it transfer enough heat just via conductivity to cool (assuming there's a waterblock on the other side still of course)

when off, TECs act as a fantastic thermal insulator. it would be better to run a naked CPU then an unpowered TEC. and if your CPU is putting out more heat then the pelt can move from cold side to hot side, that excess heat will remain in the CPU and build up until it overheats. its the complete opposite from a regular heatsink, which just gets more efficient the hotter the CPU gets.

You are looking at the wrong part for better Ocing: try to improve NB cooling when Ocing a C2D.

TECs work better as post-rad coolers in water loops: you get rid of the insulation problem both ways: they wont make your systems hotter when shut down and wont freeze your CPU.

TECs generate a LOT of heat over and above the heat of your system, so you would need even more radiator performance to compensate this, A TEC based system is impractical for anythung less than a quad radiator. The few TEC coolers that worked on air were big and loud, and wasted a lot of energy and money.

TECs have an efficiency curve, and as a rule of thumb a TEC is more efficient at 25% of the rated voltage, so most good TECs projects use series of low watts TECs rated around 48v and 20v ( so the TECs could use an ATX PSU, somehging that will lower costs a lot).

Counter-current water cooler loops usings TECs are pretty to watch, but in the end a better than amboent water cooling ends up using some degree of phasechange cooling. That is not a surpreise since phasechange is way more efficient than TECs for heat removal.

The place to look for TEC cooling projects is Xtrem Systems, not [H]

24/7/Gamer using the Boreas TEC for cpu cooling.

DSC00574.jpg

DSC00575.jpg

ScreenHunter_01Oct221445.jpg

Back