Pediatrician Says Video Games Don't Cause Violent Behavior

You missed the part when they asked if they could "work towards" one.

i.e. they didn't have the cash. They were expecting Daddy Master Card to fork over the cash if they were good.

This is one of the best nut punches to all those Video game naysayers out there I have seen to date.

I wish he would have expanded on the one topic of bad parenting being a cause more so than he did but at least he did mention it.

This is one of the best nut punches to all those Video game naysayers out there I have seen to date.

I wish he would have expanded on the one topic of bad parenting being a cause more so than he did but at least he did mention it.

Bad parenting is only half of it, the other half is no discipline in classrooms.

I have learned that people like this 'doctor' who understand a problem are generally too close to it to have a valid opinion. I need to find a political correspondent who doesn't have any knowledge of this to make a truly informed statement.

I agree with a good deal in this video (avid anti-regulation guy)

BUT, I took a look at the rest of his videos, I am going to say this is one of the few things we would agree on. His gymnastic defense of socialized medicine and avocation of government "nuclear option" regulation of healthcare makes me question his opinions.

I was raised on violent video games dating back to the early 80's. I have yet to go on a shooting rampage. But back then nobody was really raising hell against video games. All their attention was on heavy metal bands and how their music was going to turn all us youngsters into devil worshipers. You know, the hardcore heavy metal satanic bands like Motley Crue and Van Halen. :rolleyes:

Every generation has trouble coping with change and therefore blames some current influence for their internal strife. In the 50s it was Elvis Presley style rock and roll. In the 60s it was the British invasion. In the 70s it was the overabundance of mind-altering substances. In the 80s it was heavy metal music. In the 90s it was The Simpsons and all the other animated sitcoms that followed their lead. Now we have the violent video games.

The key issues have always been ignored in favor of the convenient scape-goat. There are socio-economic factors, parenting/discipline factors, religious pressures, mental health factors, and of course now a general, perhaps well-deserved, distrust of the government that all contribute to these violent outbursts, but rather than examine any of these issues to see if there is anything that we can do about really addressing the problems that lead to violent behavior, we build an effigy, soak it in gasoline, then light it on fire to get everyone to dance around it instead of any of the real problems.

(I just realized how long that sentence is and I don't care, I'm leaving it that way.)

I think people blame video games because it's something they don't do or understand.

"I never played video games and wouldn't shoot up people, so it must be that." While they watch non-stop violent TV and movies.

In the 80s and 90s it was blamed on music. I think they are afraid to look at it as a problem with the society they are a part of and are looking for external factors.

Never bought for a second that video games of any type "make you" violent.
But it is very apparently that immersive gaming can make you socially retarded.
Know lots of people will say "my friends" they mean a group of people they have never met in person and likely will never. If you friends are actually strangers you don't have any friends.

Doesn't matter. Doesn't get politicians votes. Responding to hype and hysteria gets votes.

Back