Pebble Is Closing, Ceasing All Hardware Operations

HardOCP News

[H] News
Am I the only one that wants to know where the $12.8 million they collected since May went? It's nice to know that some of the Pebble employees secured jobs at Fitbit but leaving people hanging on products they recently bought, lack of refunds for everyone and no support going forward really sucks.

Due to various factors, Pebble can no longer operate as an independent entity, and we have made the tough decision to shut down the company. The deal finalized today preserves as much of Pebble as possible. Pebble is ceasing all hardware operations. We are no longer manufacturing, promoting, or selling any new products. Active Pebble models in the wild will continue to work.

That's going to boost sales of the 10,000 dollar apple watch, just watch and see.

Reactions: jkw
like this
They used the $13 million they raised to make themselves look more valuable to FitBit. Now anyone that got an early backer Pebble 2 has an abandoned project and the other scrubs get their donations back, lol.

Wish they'd have at least finished out the KS orders, really wanted the time 2. At least I'll get a refund, but still bummed out about the cancellation.

I can't say I'm surprised. They were the front-runner in a market that the big dogs were yet to capitalize on or even enter really. It was only a matter of time before they caught up and squeezed them out with better manufacturing, economy of scale, and plain old device support.

I can't say I'm surprised. They were the front-runner in a market that the big dogs were yet to capitalize on or even enter really. It was only a matter of time before they caught up and squeezed them out with better manufacturing, economy of scale, and plain old device support.

Yeah, usually companies like these sell themselves to one of the big dogs looking to gain easier entry to the market before going bust though.

Looks like they may have had that opportunity in 2014 but passed on it
, arrogantly thinking they could survive on their own.

Pebble was always in a weird position to begin with. They didn't make very many apps for it and relied on third party app makers, so they didn't fall into the "Fitness Smartwatch Category" which I think they could have done decent in. The category they were playing in (more Open Source) got flooded with cheap (and nice) Android based watches. It's reminiscent of the Ouya - a device that was designed for one market but the consumer wanted it for another market. The Ouya could have survived if they targeted a no-controller (include a remote) XBMC/Kodi-like media center, as back then, there was nothing but Chinese junk or expensive HTPC's.

And thus, they failed.

When I had a Pebble (original, for an Open Source project), I noted that not having fitness apps (native) was going to hurt them. The battery life / screen tech and form factor is decent enough for that category, and the watch has the sensors needed. Yet users were reliant on having to find a third-party app to track data and most of the third-parties worth a damn already had hardware of their own.

Having owned a Pebble steel with my Android phone, I absolutely loved it. I am here to tell you that I would have NEVER bought an iWatch, but I got one as a gift when I switched to an iPhone. The Pebble was replaced. I would still rate it just as high as an iWatch that costs 3 times the amount. It has a week long battery life and just looks better (looks are subjective of course).

It is sad to see them close, but never did I think they could compete with Apple. In all reality, right now, I do not know anyone that has a smartwatch other than an Apple.

I've had two Pebbles, the Pebble Steel, and the Pebble Time Steel. I loved them. They did what I wanted and needed, they would work with Apple or Android, they had some nifty apps, I didn't have to charge it every night. I can control my music from my watch, I can decline phone calls without fishing out my phone.

I'm disappointed. I will keep using mine till it dies or no longer works with my phone. Then, I will probably go back to no watch again.

That sucks. I really like my Pebble Steel Time. The 5 to 6 days without recharging is what sells me on these. It feels like a normal "watch" (i.e., I can just put it on my wrist forever and forget about it) with the convenience of "smart" features. Plus refurbished it was sort of cheap. I hope someone else picks up where they left off with e-ink, long lasting smart watches. I was looking forward to an evolution on this current design.

I suppose I could use the PowerWatch which is a smartwatch that does not require charging (Powered by body heat) as a replacement but in terms of messaging features and music control, I'm not too sure if I could live without that...

I suppose I could use the PowerWatch which is a smartwatch that does not require charging (Powered by body heat) as a replacement but in terms of messaging features and music control, I'm not too sure if I could live without that...

I wouldn't give those guys any money if I were you. Even if it's an e-ink screen, powering it with nothing but body heat is a really difficult ask. I don't want to go so far as saying that I think it's impossible, but it does seem pretty far fetched. I could be wrong, but I'd wait for retail availability if I were you.

As for Pebble, I was considering the round one once they came out, I guess that will never happen now. I'm not interested in a FitBit at all.

Looks like I might be able to upgrade my 1st gen Steel for a good price on clearance.

My Steel lately has been draining the battery about once a month (charging it drains it), and doing a firmware reset makes it work again (for a month or so). Very strange behavior.

After going through four Fitbit surges that die from sweat and doing activities, I'll never buy Fitbit shit again. Have a garmin Felix 3 HR and love the thing. At least two weeks between charges and has every sensor in the book.

Have had a pebble since the original kickstarter, first one failed (display corruption), and the replacement just failed a couple months ago. Doesn't sound like I will ever see a replacement for that one now. Too bad, when it worked it was a really useful device. I liked always having a compass on hiking trips, and it sure was nice to have a device that could see a full week's use without recharging.

Back