Pearl Abyss Acquires CCP Games in $425 Million Deal

cageymaru

Fully [H]
CCP Games of Iceland which created the Eve Online MMO has been acquired by South Korean developer Pearl Abyss that launched the Black Desert Online MMO for $425 million. Pearl Abyss spokesperson Robin Jung says, "The video games industry is becoming more competitive over obtaining strong IPs. We knew that in order to continue growing, we would need more IPs than Black Desert alone, and that's why we made the decision to take the company public and raise additional capital to acquire promising IP and talent." Also it seems that they want to expand the Eve Online universe into mobile and and console platforms as cross-platform is the norm in Asia and gaining traction in North America and Europe. CCP Games will continue on as an independent studio, but collaborate with Pearl Abyss on projects.

Eve Online and Black Desert Online share many of the same characteristics, and that's one of the reasons why we became interested in CCP in the first place. The two are open-world MMORPGs that boast extraordinarily extensive content with non-linear storylines, critical to the long-running success of both IPs. Both games are also very community oriented, centering around a group of long-time players. CCP and Pearl Abyss also approach the development and maintenance of our games with a similar mindset. Our teams are never satisfied, we're obsessed with constantly pushing the envelope and taking on new challenges.

Well, you'll either be able to wait to level up in EvE, or for a low price you can level NOW and not have to waste all that time. Maybe even buy some ships and ship decorations and such! Probably it will end up something like that i'd imagine. :(

Well, you'll either be able to wait to level up in EvE, or for a low price you can level NOW and not have to waste all that time. Maybe even buy some ships and ship decorations and such! Probably it will end up something like that i'd imagine. :(

At least there would be a way for new players to catch up lol.

Pearl Abyss charges $30+ for a costume in BDO. I can only imagine what they will charge for a ship in EVE. They might as well start selling ship packages like Star Citizen.

$425 million? That almost seems light. EvE has been suffering 'psychological' problems for awhile (the players are afraid to commit their expensive ships, and there is a moaning fear that the game is dying) but it is one of the few massive MMO's that could be reborn with reskin and a restart. I'm leery that Pearl Abyss has a different (profit) culture than CCP.

Pearl Abyss charges $30+ for a costume in BDO. I can only imagine what they will charge for a ship in EVE. They might as well start selling ship packages like Star Citizen.
Oh, they will. Eve players are screwed.

CCP did waste a lot of money on those side projects that never became much of anything.

Been able to do that for years, Skill injectors are easy to come by.

Ship skins are already about $15 to $20...

Well guys, we have to look at the positive here....you not longer need a 4 year long accounting degree to ...enter the spreadsheet abyss

So from a convoluted mess of a game full of assholes (IT'S ROLEPLAYING GEEZ LIGHTEN UP AS I MORTGAGE MY HOME TO BUY MORE PIXELS) to a convoluted F2P mess full of assholes + the kind of assholes only a F2P MMO can attract.

I always joked that it was only a matter of time before EA bought CCP much to the jeers of my corp mates.... I am not sure if this is any better. EvE is already a pretty heavy RMT based game with Plex and skins and outfits I can only hope that under new owners they finally start taking the money the game makes and invests it back into the game other than half fleshed out projects that don't go anywhere.

You realize CCP has been selling special ship skins for years? Some of them are available through the in-game shop others can only be acquired by buying special new account packages that come bundled with them. Those sell for a decent amount of ISK in-game if you don't want to collect them yourself. Oh yeah and they have permadeath like all other hulls.:(

it.... doesn't look good:

Not Recommended
9,378.8 hrs on record
POSTED: AUGUST 24
LOOK AT MY HOURS PLAYED. I waited 15 months to write a review. I've pretty much done it all. I'm running around at softcap with pretty much all content acquired. This game IS damn amazing. Today, 24th of August 2018, they made the game truly pay to win. I'm not talking "added a ghillie suit to the cash shop" or anything like that, I mean full-blown swipe your credit card to become stronger than anyone who has 3x more hours played than me. If you as a gamer, value skill and talent over who has richer parents than for the love of god stay away. There is so much more fun to be had elsewhere. This game is officially dead with this change.
The devs went back on their promise that they would not make NA P2W. Not only should you stay away from Black Desert Online, but you should try not to forget the developers; "Pearl Abyss" and the Publisher "Kakao Games" as we certainly will see them again in the future to further scam their playerbase once again. If there is any comment you read about BDO that you pay attention to; its this one. DO NOT. I REPEAT: DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME/MONEY.

At least they can actually use them in game. Unlike SC where they might be able to look at it in a buggy tech demo 2-3 years later.

it.... doesn't look good:

Not Recommended
9,378.8 hrs on record
POSTED: AUGUST 24
LOOK AT MY HOURS PLAYED. I waited 15 months to write a review. I've pretty much done it all. I'm running around at softcap with pretty much all content acquired. This game IS damn amazing. Today, 24th of August 2018, they made the game truly pay to win. I'm not talking "added a ghillie suit to the cash shop" or anything like that, I mean full-blown swipe your credit card to become stronger than anyone who has 3x more hours played than me. If you as a gamer, value skill and talent over who has richer parents than for the love of god stay away. There is so much more fun to be had elsewhere. This game is officially dead with this change.
The devs went back on their promise that they would not make NA P2W. Not only should you stay away from Black Desert Online, but you should try not to forget the developers; "Pearl Abyss" and the Publisher "Kakao Games" as we certainly will see them again in the future to further scam their playerbase once again. If there is any comment you read about BDO that you pay attention to; its this one. DO NOT. I REPEAT: DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME/MONEY.

It's over 9000!!!!

I don't think I have that much play time with all the games I ever played combined.

I hate mobile gaming...because most of them cater to the people that have no problem paying to win...what a shit culture to be involved. I played clash of clans back in the day....never spent a dime on it, but quickly realized just how much bullshit the game mechanics were, and you reach a soft cap to where you have to pay to advance further.

Back