Peak video memory (vram) usage at 4K?

Blackstone

2[H]4U
Question -

What is the most memory that can be consumed by unmodded games at 4K, RTX on?

Has anyone been able to make out the VRAM on a 2080ti for example at 4k in any game?

The highest I have personally recorded gaming at 4k, full settings, RTX on, no modding of the game was on SOTTR and I was able to hit like 9.8GB of Vram usage, or thereabouts from what I recall.

Most of my other games, even fully maxed with RT on at 4K on average use less than that. But, I don't exactly monitor that regularly either, mostly just when I am testing things out or benchmarking.

I've never seen it go above 9GB of usage, and that is very rare. Most games don't use much more than 6-7GB even at 4K. The 11GB of VRAM on the 2080ti is way more than enough.

What about AA and SS cranked all the way up ?
That would cause image to be rendered at higher resolution. (Not that you'll ever need max AA at 4k)
It uses more but not that much more. At 4K you can’t afford to super sample anyways because of FPS. So you’re using other AA methods that don’t use much more VRAM anyways.

I saw Resident Evil 2 top out at 10.5GB.
Amateurs and low end hardware, jesh, :D

ResEv3.jpg

RE3 3440x1440P, at 4K I am sure it would be even higher. Plays great with slightly less settings from above.

FYI it says it uses that much but I never actually see it use that much if I monitor VRAM.

FYI it says it uses that much but I never actually see it use that much if I monitor VRAM.
Good point, will have to check to see what it actually use.

Edit: Looks like it will use it if you have it, was over 14gb Re3 Demo. Not able to capture the Radeon Overlay plus with the Overlay FPS went from over 60fps to 30fps. Vega FE. If it makes a significant difference I do not know, Demo is smooth throughout the level.

Last edited:
Good point, will have to check to see what it actually use.

Edit: Looks like it will use it if you have it, was over 14gb Re3 Demo. Not able to capture the Radeon Overlay plus with the Overlay FPS went from over 60fps to 30fps. Vega FE. If it makes a significant difference I do not know, Demo is smooth throughout the level.
Yes, RE2 said it was going to use about 14GB of VRAM with the in-game settings at 4K, but it will use as much as is available. For what it's worth, I saw no image or performance degradation whether or not the game said I was over the limit of the video card. 10.5GB in use is basically the limit of usable VRAM on an 11GB card.

Back