PCP&C 510 bit it??

Bullitt

2[H]4U
After getting this monstrosity from fedex, I installed it in my case of my new build Thursday evening. I installed 1 stick ram, 1 vid-card and processor. Thurs night, I powered it on and all was well, I was concerned with it posting for a new build....

Friday comes and goes, its operational fully, been enjoying the hell out of the new box.

Saturday, I begin to loom the wires to clean them up, I had all cables disconnected. When I place the now cleaned up rig back in, I make sure everything is connected, then I plug the PSU into the surge protector, the back switch is in the "off" position, then switch to the "on" position. I see the red-light on the motherboard indicating power, then I hit the front-panel ATX power switch. Nothing. I notice the red light is off on the mobo. Since this is the DFI ut3 250, I use the motherboard switch to test the rig just in case I have disconnected a wire somewhere, no power.

I take the PSU out of the case, insert a craptastic generic 320 watt'er into the rig and apply the juice. From the case switch, it comes on and posts.

1, Is there any sort of fuse with the pcp&c 510 express that I can check?
2. If the sucker just up and died, how quick are they with their RMA process?

Words simply cannot explain how disheartening it is to see a top-of-the line part go south after 48 hours in one's posession.... :(

System spec's if applicable:
AMD64 3400 2.4 (retail package)
Corsair 3200XL memory
Seagate sata drive
DFI Lanparty ut3 250
PCP&C 510 turbo cool express
Plextor 712a burner
SB Audigy Platinum (live drive thingy)

There should be a fuse inside, but then the question, why would it blow in the 1st place ?

Fiddeling with the wires:
Maybe some wire connection came loose in the joints, but if this is so, it's good it happens now and not later, which is bad news for their quality in any case.

My recent RMA with them- called wed evening, RMA dept. was closed, then called on thurs, got it sent out on thurs one day air, arriving on friday/ They also paid shipping back to them.

it could easily be a poor signal contact
there was an "issue" with a few PCP&C
if there wasnt enough of a load on the supply it might fail to fire up
but I thought that was addressed
hook up a few drives to it if that is a potential

but any PSU can be blown by a short or surge
what you have with a PCP&C is a supply
that you can expect to protect the components in that event

and while you said you have a surge protector
there are surge protectors and then there are surge protectors
by far the vast majority of surge protectors out there are MOV based
and thus scraficial, its guranteed that eventually they will afford no protection
review >
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/surge-protector.htm
http://www.dansdata.com/sbs9.htm#ggviewer-offsite-nav-12464416
http://brickwall.com/nofail.htm

Ice Czar said:
it could easily be a poor signal contact
there was an "issue" with a few PCP&C
if there wasnt enough of a load on the supply it might fail to fire up
but I thought that was addressed
hook up a few drives to it if that is a potential

The PSU was atteched to my full system and was fully operational all evening Friday and was left on Saturday until I decided to loom the fan leads. When I was done, I attached all devices (drive, ATX via their 24-20 pin converter, burner, and fan controller, and 2 120mm fans) so the psu had an intentional load placed on it. I hope I just got a lemon....

Ice Czar said:
but any PSU can be blown by a short or surge
what you have with a PCP&C is a supply
that you can expect to protect the components in that event

and while you said you have a surge protector
there are surge protectors and then there are surge protectors
by far the vast majority of surge protectors out there are MOV based
and thus scraficial, its guranteed that eventually they will afford no protection
Right, I'm not convinced it was a fault of the so-called surge supressor. I had several other devices on it which were powered at the same time and nothing sagged or blinked, or showed any signs of status change. I may be in denial....

One thing that I found odd... When it was operational, the fan on the PSU was set to draw air from outside, into the box, There was no airflow coming out, but if I took a sheet of paper and briefly held it to the back, it would draw the paper to the grill. Is that by design?

Bullitt said:
Is that by design?

no it should blow out
sounds like its was installed backward

but the wire looming part is suggestive
that is a typical root cause of loose contacts
go over all the pins and make sure they are properly seated

however given the fan is installed backward, and that opening the supply technically voids the warranty, you might RMA it even if you do find a loose pin and get it working
its no big deal to reverse the fan however
first thing I did when I got my 510 was pop the top, drill and tap a few holes to mount it in the 4U :p

Back