PCoIP disconnects in View 4.6.0

dle1232003

n00b
Hi all,

I work for an educational institue in the UK, we have a large VMware View implementation, using iGel unis as thin clients.

For a while now, we suffer from random disconnects of View Client on the thin clients and vmware view clients which all use PCoIP protocol. We are running View 4.6.0, and all desktop images are Windows 7 Ent SP1.

Has anyone else had the issue with disconnects using PCoIP? if you look at the View 4.6.1 release notes it mentions its fixes "occassional random disconnects of PCoIP protocol" but doesnt give a massive of info.

If anyone can shed any light on this, or just share your experiences, that would be great.

Cheers

Hi DLE1232002,

My name is Stuart, I am the Director of Systems Engineering at Teradici - the creators of PCoIP protocol. I run the support team and would be happy to have my team help resolve your issue. If you like, please open a ticket at techsupport.teradici.com (free registration). We can help resolve issues related to PCoIP protocol deployments.

Best Regards,
Stu

Last edited:
This is great..I love it when this forum attracts this type of response!

I gotta say this is one of those issues that you just have to update your VMware View before wasting time troubleshooting. You could be chasing shadows or your own tail etc.

Is it just not a possibility to update? Especially when they are at 5.1 now and even the next revision up from your current one fixes PCoIP issues?

I completely agree - it is very important to use the latest version of VMware View. I recommend moving to VMware View 5.1 as there have been improvements to resolve session disconnect issues as well as network resilience and enhandements to reduce network bandwidth utilization.

It is also very important to consider your network - if the network configuration has not been optimized to support virtual desktops then the disconnects may continue after the upgrade.

I highly recommend downloading the PCoIP Protocol Virtual Desktop Network Design Checklist from the Teradici support site (techsupport.teradici.com). Here are some things on the network that can cause session disconnects:

• Network congestion
  • Lack of QoS, or improper prioritization of PCoIP traffic
  • Intrusion Protection (IPS/IDS)
  • Not enablling Portfast
  • Improper load balancing configuration (including within blade switches)
  • Not bypassing PCoIP packets in any WAN optimization equipment

Again, if you open a ticket on the Teradici support site and provide details we can help resolve the issue.

Cheers,
Stu
Dir of Systems Eng, Teradici

Last edited:
thanks for the responses everyone,

and thanks stuart, i've had calls open with vmware, and they couldnt get to the bottom of it, even though in event viewer it shows a log for pcoip disconnecting.

I will speak to your guys either tomorrow or on monday

I am upgrading to 5.1 in july, however I am not allowed any downtime atm, as the children are coming up to exams etc (yeah i know what your thinking, but they are getting disconnected anyway)

luckily enough this week it seems to have calmed down a lot.

Also i am aiming to rip everything back to the phyiscal cable level, and rebuild it from scratch!

But still even if this does fix it, i want to know why its happening!

Regards

Dean

Back