PCMag: Game of Thrones Torrents are Perfect for Delivering Malware

Who manually searches? That's what automation is for.

Download all via automated release tracking, apply filtering script, apply file categorization and storage scripting, let software update and build a "not yet watched" list that updates as files are watched.

.... theoretically of course.
Ah in that case I can see. I don't watch all that much, just have no interest for most of it.

Downloading sketchy SW using bit torrent is risky.

But if you are not a clueless moron, downloading video torrents isn't risky.

Current Video file containers (.mkv, mp4) have been free from exploits.

Decent torrent sites will show the you torrent contents before download, and you can can check your torrent client for contents before downloading as well. So really you should never get risky files on your computer from downloading a video torrent.

As true as this is, we are not the target audience for these news articles and we all know it.

The people that are the target audience? You can't help them. Nothing you said has any bearing because they either are too ignorant to learn what you are saying or just don't care enough to learn and follow through with the due diligence required.

Strictly speaking, this news post is news, but it's not news for us.

And here I am not having seen any of these Hunger Game of Thrones things. :p

I'm almost done with season 2. Still not seeing the hype. It's ok, but it's not a great show. Good visuals, good setting, I'm not invested in any character so their deaths really don't mean much.

But, HBOGO is cheap, so I'm getting that for the family to watch it. I have a couple weeks to catch up. I don't care if I do or not, though. I know the major spoilers and it's not that big of a deal if I miss anything.

I think I got responsible somewhere down the road. I started paying for things lately. With the streaming stuff instead of the high cost cable packages, Steam (I haven't pirated a game since Steam was released....), etc. I'm doing pretty good. CBS All Access exclusives kind of piss me off, though. I'm not willing to pay $7 a month for a single show I want to watch. I don't care about their other material. If they were to revive some old shows that were canceled, I might sign up. But, it's just not enough content for me to justify the cost. It's not bad (~$1.75 an episode if it's a weekly thing), which isn't bad, but I've been spoiled with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc. shows and the massive library for way less $$. Although... I'm bitching about that while subscribing to HBOGO for $15 a month for a similar thing. So, I'm kind of retarded.

Malware and piracy kind of go hand in hand. Be safe, take the necessary precautions, be smart, and it's doable. I think most people here are smart enough to not get infected even when downloading some special files. These warnings are more for the average Joe that will click on something that says "GoTEpisode1.exe", not for most of us.

What's the point? Most of the time I rent a blu ray for under a buck (thanks to coupons). Sometimes I pay 80 cents or a buck. I'd rather pay that than waste bandwidth on downloading a movie that I'll watch once (because if I'm going to watch it more than once, I'll buy a 4k Blu Ray)

I'm almost done with season 2. Still not seeing the hype. It's ok, but it's not a great show. Good visuals, good setting, I'm not invested in any character so their deaths really don't mean much.

But, HBOGO is cheap, so I'm getting that for the family to watch it. I have a couple weeks to catch up. I don't care if I do or not, though. I know the major spoilers and it's not that big of a deal if I miss anything.

I think I got responsible somewhere down the road. I started paying for things lately. With the streaming stuff instead of the high cost cable packages, Steam (I haven't pirated a game since Steam was released....), etc. I'm doing pretty good. CBS All Access exclusives kind of piss me off, though. I'm not willing to pay $7 a month for a single show I want to watch. I don't care about their other material. If they were to revive some old shows that were canceled, I might sign up. But, it's just not enough content for me to justify the cost. It's not bad (~$1.75 an episode if it's a weekly thing), which isn't bad, but I've been spoiled with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc. shows and the massive library for way less $$. Although... I'm bitching about that while subscribing to HBOGO for $15 a month for a similar thing. So, I'm kind of retarded.
Just wait till whatever you want to watch is finished and get it for one month. I'm probably going to wait for the Good Fight to get to it's last month and then sign up, watch Discovery and the Good fight in that month. I'll probably do it through Amazon, since that'd mean I could just stream it via a TV or XBone app.

While I'm there, I'll see if they ahve anything else worth looking at. I think I could get through 4 13-14 hour dramas in a month if I work at it ;) To me that's fine, because as it is, I can't keep up with Netflix, much less Amazon Prime

Malware and piracy kind of go hand in hand. Be safe, take the necessary precautions, be smart, and it's doable. I think most people here are smart enough to not get infected even when downloading some special files. These warnings are more for the average Joe that will click on something that says "GoTEpisode1.exe", not for most of us.

If you run Norton AV (or likely most other AV suites), a file like that will almost certainly be quarantined or deleted before you have a chance to run it.

I have never watched that show and since I do not subscribe to HBO in any way, I guess I will not ever be watching it. (No, I am not going to buy the boxed Bluray / DVD set, either.)

I have never watched that show and since I do not subscribe to HBO in any way, I guess I will not ever be watching it. (No, I am not going to buy the boxed Bluray / DVD set, either.)

I skipped out on some shows like that in the past. They were on a platform I didn't want to pay for. Exclusive. I never watched it. Until I watched it at someone else's house. They lost a sale because of that exclusivity. I feel that's how some CBS All Access shows are going to be, as well as HBO GO.

Great shows sometimes, but they limit their audience and that leads to piracy and/or lost sales.

It's just getting good. Don't give up now. I was same as you. S1 and S2 = meh. If memory serves S3 and S4 are the most highly rated. You may notice the show takes on a different feel at S3. New characters and story lines. Larger budget and more elaborate filming locale. Another thing which struck me about GoT is the wardrobe work. No shiny new cloths that obviously came off a rental rack. They have a large team of textile artists whose sole job is to make everything from scratch, weather them, and destroy and repair armor in order to make them appear used and battle worn.

Hodor.jpg

all this thread is doing is to remind me that one of these days i need to actually sit down and set up my media center on away from the windows that its currently running.

I skipped out on some shows like that in the past. They were on a platform I didn't want to pay for. Exclusive. I never watched it. Until I watched it at someone else's house. They lost a sale because of that exclusivity. I feel that's how some CBS All Access shows are going to be, as well as HBO GO.

Great shows sometimes, but they limit their audience and that leads to piracy and/or lost sales.
You can go through 2 CBS series on a single months sub. If you were super cheap, then you could probably work through 2 seasons of a single series during the free week you can get from CBS. I figure 1 month of CBS All Access for 10 bucks gets me ST and The Good Fight. That's worth 10 bucks to me. If there's something else on there worth watching, I'll probably be able to fit that in as well. Then I can wait a year and do it again. If you've never watched GoT, then it'll probably take more than a month to get through it, but at 73 episodes, if you wanted to, you could do that in a single month (but it'd be a lot easier to do it in 2 months.

30 bucks for roughly 75-80 hours of entertainment ain't a bad deal (and you might even have time left over to watch some other shows.
I'm honestly surprise people who are cash strapped or just cheap (dat's me) don't just move from service to service. Get HBO for a month or 2/year. Get CBS All Access for a month/year (unless there's more than I think there is on that service) and maybe get Hulu for 1 or 2 months/year (aside from Handmaids tale, I have no idea what's worth watching on it).

You could theoretically even drop Netflix for some of those months. All you have to be willing to do is wait till the series ends (or is close to ending) before signing up for a month.

No show appeals to everyone, but for me this continues HBO streak of great TV. If I listed my top 10 shows of all time, GoT would definitely be in the top 10 with a number of other HBO shows. The ability of HBO to deliver so many quality shows is unmatched IMO.

Back