PCIE VS SATA III SSD

martinmsj

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm intrigued by the performance of PCIE SSD's.

They currently sell Revo 240 GB drives for 199 (refurbished) with some awesome numbers claimed for performance.

However, I'm not too enthusiastic about purchasing these refurbished since I don't know what kind of abuse they took and how much life is left in them. On the other hand, I've used a G2 80 GB Intel drive for 4.5 years as an OS drive and it remained at 100% life when I sold it.

So I'm looking at these OWC drives.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/PCIe/OWC/Mercury_Accelsior/Buy_Now

Wondering if the performance claimed by this drive would be noticeable against a Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB.

Can anyone with experience provide some insight?

I think the purpose of these cards is more for their IOPS than their speeds (though speeds are also important). They can make a monumental difference in big MS exchange, database, or other high IO workloads.

To answer your question I think that either a Samsung SSD or a card like this would be in certain situations "feel" faster than your existing G2.

SSD write speeds have increased dramatically, and the G2 has weaker write speed than modern solid state drives.

I'd say unless you have a specific need for the IO or sequential speeds provided, regular SSD's will get the job done at a lesser cost.

For $700 or $800 I'd consider RAID0 with 256 or 512 SSD's as well over that. In the $1500+ range something with ZFS that can get over the gigabit hurdle would make sense to me.

If you're really wanting more IOPS and throughput than a SATA-III SSD can give you, I'd actually wait a couple months for the next generation of drives using the 128Gbit modules to ship. They will probably also be using M.2/PCIe, with throughput approaching 1100MB/s. I'm sure they'll have a price premium compared to the SATA-III drives you can buy today, but the performance will be much higher and they should still be cheaper than quality new PCIe SSDs.

Thanks for the insight. I just ordered parts for new build since I wanted to put together a new desktop this weekend. I went with the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB. I haven't seen any motherboards with that connector. I don't "need" the performance however since the last time I a built machine was 4.5 year ago (Specs in sig though I sold the whole thing) I figured it would be a good idea to invest in a PCIE SSD. However, two 256 Samsung 840 pros are cheaper than 1 PCIE 240 GB drive and supposedly achieve the same speeds. I just haven't been able to find any review or benchmarks to validate this claim.

hey i had a couple of these, the 110gb ones. way small btw.
BUT they did give like AMAZING speeds.
i also come across some items that are pcie boards that have ssd contrllers on them, essentially turning ur standard ssd into a pcie ssd. check em out.

That's what I hear. I thought I could spend about 470 on a 240GB OWC one. However, if what I said earlier about combining two Samsung's is true I would prefer to go that route since I would have 512 instead of just 240 GB and lower price.

yea, i think its worth trying at least

cuz if antyhing, those revodrives, in numbers are the top shelf products, if this pcie thingies fail, then u always room for improvement xD

yea, i think its worth trying at least

cuz if antyhing, those revodrives, in numbers are the top shelf products, if this pcie thingies fail, then u always room for improvement xD

My head hurts

Back