PCIe SSDs Will Overtake SATA in 2019

until laptop manufactures start using them instead of sata m.2 i don't see pcie ssd's surpassing sata SSD's in 2019.

these days most come with a 128GB SSD and 1TB mechanical drive. that being said though the SSD's a piece of junk and doesn't really matter.

My $700 Leveno Flex 5 I bought end of 2017 came with a Samsung 240GB SSD. Don't recall if it was NVMe, but it was M.2 form factor. Added a 750GB Crucial MX300 750GB to it.

With current retail pricing I hope $700 laptops start coming with 1TB SSDs out of the box.

Very happy with my NVME drives. The speed difference between my 840 Pro and 840 Evo vs my 970 Evo (x2) is barely noticable, but what IS noticable, is the severe lack of cables i need to use in my build! :p. For an ITX build, this form factor is amazing, and I welcome the day when they're even cheaper! I only have 8pin EPS, 24pin and 8pin PCIE cables coming from my PSU, no sata/molex etc cables. Simple, clean, love it!

Then you're happy with the M.2 form factor- these come in SATA as well ;)

I am surprised to see PCIe drives overtake as there are either fewer available M.2 slots or maybe mobo's that do not have many available PCIe slots compared to some mobos with 6+ SATA ports. Unless I am missing something.
I think most people have no more than 2 drives, and most motherboards today come with 2 M.2 slots. If you use two NVMe drives you'll lose the use of at least one SATA port. You always have the option of using an expansion card that can support up to four additional drives.
I love NVME drives but what kills them is lack of PCIE lanes on motherboards. Even when you have PCIE lanes they are (in most cases) not hanging off the CPU. I'm not paying $300-$1000 for a HEDT cpu + another $250+ for a motherboard just to have more pcie-lanes and most likely a worse gaming experience.

GIVE ME PCI-E LANES and I'll buy more NVME drives. In the meanwhile I'm sticking with sata most of the time. I'll snag 1 nvme for boot and the rest will most likely be sata. That 2nd NVME slot often replaces 2 sata slots on normal $80-$150 non-HEDT motherboards.

Manufacturers: Can we PLEASE stop shipping spinners in $500+ machines? There is NO REASON for it. Even cheap machines should be able to spend $30 on a 240GB ssd.
PCI-E lanes for NVMe are driven through the PCH on Intel chipsets. Newer chipsets like the Z390 provide PCI-E 3.0 lanes over the PCH, so you're still getting full bandwidth. I think you only get 6 PCI-E 3.0 lanes for NVMe with Ryzen from the CPU while you get up to 8 total with Intel through the chipset. I don't know what the NVMe support is like with HEDT chips such as Threadripper.

My motherboard supports two NVMe x4 drives while only losing one SATA port. Granted, it was $190, so just outside of your $80-$150 range.

Then you're happy with the M.2 form factor- these come in SATA as well ;)

Yes but price-wise aren't always worth it by comparison. Not in Australia anyway! + on my particular board only the front m.2 supports sata, the back does not. And I'd prefer the top one to be NVME to get some incidental airflow as it'll be the boot drive/written to more.

I think most people have no more than 2 drives, and most motherboards today come with 2 M.2 slots. If you use two NVMe drives you'll lose the use of at least one SATA port. You always have the option of using an expansion card that can support up to four additional drives.

PCI-E lanes for NVMe are driven through the PCH on Intel chipsets. Newer chipsets like the Z390 provide PCI-E 3.0 lanes over the PCH, so you're still getting full bandwidth. I think you only get 6 PCI-E 3.0 lanes for NVMe with Ryzen from the CPU while you get up to 8 total with Intel through the chipset. I don't know what the NVMe support is like with HEDT chips such as Threadripper.

My motherboard supports two NVMe x4 drives while only losing one SATA port. Granted, it was $190, so just outside of your $80-$150 range.
I understand that. My point was that there simply aren't enough PCI-E lanes for the storage I want to have and/or add on later.

With sata, it's pretty easy to throw 8+ sata drives in as needed in various configurations/sizes, cheaper than NVME with very little real-world difference in speed.

That is why I generally stick with 1 NVME & the rest sata.

Back