Pcie sound card with coax audio out

Bigbacon

Fully [H]
Looking to upgrade my media pc and o e of the issues i have is my current one uses a pci sound card to connect to my reciever via coax audio.

If i uograde i lose pci audio but have no other options for doing audio out to get surround sound with my audio setup

look for a mother board with SPDIF out header and then buy something like this.. or alternately make one using a rca plug and soldering and connector from your parts bin (which is what I did to connect my pc to my Sony TA-E77ESD's coax input.

https://www.amazon.com/SPDIF-Optical-Plate-Cable-Bracket/dp/B01LWNKIKN

alternately if your selected motherboard lacks an SPDIF header.. still no worries or many worries.. simple little usb to coax dac should suffice

such as

https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Coa...4X296R5A397&psc=1&refRID=88JWZJS4D4X296R5A397

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
most of the SPDIF headers seem to only say optical out only. I may actually have one of those headers anyway just don't know if they actually work.

will that DAC thing allow the same pass through for surround and what not to your receiver?

most of the SPDIF headers seem to only say optical out only. I may actually have one of those headers anyway just don't know if they actually work.

will that DAC thing allow the same pass through for surround and what not to your receiver?
Those are usually done via software so it would be unsupported those usually do stereo only.

S/PDIF is designed to transmit uncompressed stereo only. It doesn't have the bandwith to transmit uncompressed multichannel. It can transmit Dolby/DTS encoded compressed multichannel though if your receiver can decode it and your software setup allows the encoding. The encoding/decoding process can manifest in visible delay in sound making lipsync problems etc.

you could always get something like a USB SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro. It'll process DD and has optical/analog out. I bought a couple a while back for $25 each on ebay

edit: sorry I didn't read you need coax digital. Does your receiver have optical ins?

S/PDIF is designed to transmit uncompressed stereo only. It doesn't have the bandwith to transmit uncompressed multichannel. It can transmit Dolby/DTS encoded compressed multichannel though if your receiver can decode it and your software setup allows the encoding. The encoding/decoding process can manifest in visible delay in sound making lipsync problems etc.
Pass through works the same way as on a DVD player and doesn't exist. If you do manual encoding on something with a 200MHz cpu sure I could see that but if you are upmixing stereo to multichannel you'd do it on your receiver anyway.

Pass through works the same way as on a DVD player and doesn't exist. If you do manual encoding on something with a 200MHz cpu sure I could see that but if you are upmixing stereo to multichannel you'd do it on your receiver anyway.
I don't get your point. The talk was about sending audio from the computer. The encode/decode process can create visible delays especially on the tuner side.

I don't get your point. The talk was about sending audio from the computer. The encode/decode process can create visible delays especially on the tuner side.
AVS Forum is a good place to start for surround and processing. http://spearsandmunsil.com/portfolio-item/hd-benchmark-2-0/ you can use this to adjust audio delay so it matches your video.

Anyway OP you could just run optical into something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Converter-Bi-Directional-Repeater-ROOFULL/dp/B01N32C5GT/ it's just a 1:1 transceiver. No idea on the quality but this has the most reviews.

Really I'd just use optical input into your receiver, I've never seen an AV receiver without optical since it's the cheaper of the two to stick on things which is why all onboard has it over coax.

Last edited:
AVS Forum is a good place to start for surround and processing. http://spearsandmunsil.com/portfolio-item/hd-benchmark-2-0/ you can use this to adjust audio delay so it matches your video.

Anyway OP you could just run optical into something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Converter-Bi-Directional-Repeater-ROOFULL/dp/B01N32C5GT/ it's just a 1:1 transceiver. No idea on the quality but this has the most reviews.

Really I'd just use optical input into your receiver, I've never seen an AV receiver without optical since it's the cheaper of the two to stick on things which is why all onboard has it over coax.
It would be kind of hard to adjust the delay when and if the picture is faster than the sound due to the delay. You would have to route your video through the receiver also and it would have to introduce a lag to the display signal. I doubt this is what most players want.

It would be kind of hard to adjust the delay when and if the picture is faster than the sound due to the delay. You would have to route your video through the receiver also and it would have to introduce a lag to the display signal. I doubt this is what most players want.
I've never encountered video decoding being faster than demuxing the audio signals. Audio is always faster hence why every system has audio delay but no system has a video delay. If you are watching something and the video is coming faster the audio sync on the master is horribly mistimed.

I've never encountered video decoding being faster than demuxing the audio signals. Audio is always faster hence why every system has audio delay but no system has a video delay. If you are watching something and the video is coming faster the audio sync on the master is horribly mistimed.
Computer games can't be compared to watching video...

you could always get something like a USB SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro. It'll process DD and has optical/analog out. I bought a couple a while back for $25 each on ebay

edit: sorry I didn't read you need coax digital. Does your receiver have optical ins?

it does have optical but it is in use. It is a kind of old system.

What about the drivers for those PCI cards and new OS like Win10?
Really depends on the card and vendor, ht omega has drivers for all oses for their cards as an example and asus ones are supported by the unified xonar driver set.

Back