PCIE 3.0 x16 slot use a raid card?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by annilation, Nov 25, 2015.

1. annilation

annilation Limp Gawd

I have a ASRock H97M WS and want to use the PCIE6 (PCIE 3.0 x16 slot) to install a M5015 raid controller.

When I plug it in I do not think the system is picking up the controller. Any thoughts?

2. cortexodus

cortexodus [H]ard|Gawd

Have you tried another slot?

*I guess that mobo only has the one slot... Not sure what to try in that case.

3. GotNoRice

GotNoRice [H]ardForum Junkie

Can you try putting it into the 4x slot on the board?

4. Astral Abyss

Astral Abyss 2[H]4U

Those slots are normally used for the video card. You may need to adjust a setting in the BIOS to make it work.

5. Cyberbeing

Cyberbeing Gawd

Try changing the CSM boot settings. If that doesn't work, try disabling the on-board SATA and see if it then picks it up.

6. bonus

bonus [H]Lite

Did this ever work? I'm wondering the same thing. I'm looking at the new Gigabyte GA-X99P Sli board and I'll never fill up all of those 16x slots with video cards. Was hoping to add a couple of pce-i ms ssds on there.

7. Stereodude

Stereodude 2[H]4U

I've used PCIe x16 slots in numerous system for multilane RAID cards and haven't had an issue yet. I've used one AMD system (AM2+ I think) & multiple Intel (P35, P45, Z67, Z77, Z87, C224). Boards from Gigabyte & ASRock. The worst problem is that some of the older ones don't like the card connecting on the SMbus so you have to cover 2 pins on the PCIe connector. I haven't even had to change any settings in the BIOS.

8. FnordMan

FnordMan [H]ard|Gawd

I've got a board for a i5-760 (forget which z<foo> generation it is) where i'm running a x8 PCIe controller card (Dell perc H200 in "IT Mode" as I recall) in the x16 "graphics" slot without any issues.