PCIE 3.0 GPU on a PCIE 1.0 motherboard?

TheGardenTool

2[H]4U
I'm wondering if an AMD Radeon HD 7770 will work on an nForce 650i SLI motherboard with a presumed 1.0 PCI-E slot. I have heard there were issues with 2.1 cards on 1.0 motherboards but I can't find anything talking about the 3.0 cards with 1.0 slots.

The motherboard in question is from a Dell XPS 630 if that makes a difference. I can't find anything for certain saying it is a PCI-E 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0. I've seen different websites listing it as each of them.

From what I recall the issues were with pci-e 1.0a and newer cards, albeit the issue wasn't affected on all of those motherboards. I have run a pci -e 2.0 card on a nvidia 650 chipset motherboard with no problems. However i have no experience with the board in question.

Wiki said it was backward compatible, so thats enough info for me lol. Most people say you might lose 10-15% of performance, but IT should work, I wouldn't see why not.

I had problems getting a couple of newer PCIe cards to run in an old Socket 478 motherboard I picked up on eBay a while back, so there are compatibility issues to consider. See if you can find a BIOS update or something - but for an old board like that it'll probably be a "buy it and see what happens" kind of situation.

I remember an issue with 57xx ati card and pci-e 1.0 back when i wanted to upgrade my card from a 4850. In the end i bought a 6850 that worked in pci-e 1.0 before i upgraded to my current rig so i dont think you should have any issues with a 7770.

Back