PCI-E Power for the IP35

Acceptable_Risk

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got new hardware and I'm putting it all together. It's been a long time since I've assembled a machine so I'm a bit disoriented about some of this newfangled equipment (Evidently, CPU's don't come with pins anymore. Wild.).

So anyway the Abit IP35 has a regular peripheral molex connector next to the PCI-E slot to provide extra PCI-E power. If my video card has its own PCI-E power connector, do I need to use the one on the motherboard?

I ask because they put that connector in kind of an awkward spot and it would require me to snake the power line right through my CPU cooler's airflow space. Plus, I've got a NeoHE and it would be nice if I didn't have to connect one more cable just for that.

Yes, I believe you still need to connect it. The manual is taking forever to DL, so I can't verify my initial thoughts.

Yeah, the manual says to connect it, but it's kind of noncommittal about the other power connections. It pretty much just tells you to plug in whatever fits so I wasn't too sure.

it's really there to bolster the PCI-E bus when you are drawing heavily on it (like 2 X2900s).
In normal usage you don't need it but it shouldn't do any harm having it plugged in.

Yeah make sure that thing is plugged in, unless you like instability or other randomness. Gotta remember that the pci-e link is a high bandwidth bus and needs a clean, powerful source of power.

I don't have mine plugged in and it's stable, no crashes during stress tests or 50+ hours of gaming.

i have a IP35-E and did not plug that 4pin molex from day 1 of my build. no issues and is stable as a rock.

Aiya you might not have any issues with it cause your using a low power vid card, but if he's using something a little hotter its free insurance, and takes one factor outta the equation if something is unstable.

The power connector is for the entire PCI-E bus, not just the vidcard.

Aiya you might not have any issues with it cause your using a low power vid card, but if he's using something a little hotter its free insurance, and takes one factor outta the equation if something is unstable.

so i'm assuming you have your's plugged in then? since you have a 8800GTX.

i have seen someone else on here that has a 8800GTS and doesn't the 4pin molex plugged in.

??? theres a 4pin connector on the 8800gts???

i thought u just need the PCI-e plug and it should be fine?

sry for the noobness

lol no, we're talking about the 4pin molex on IP35 series boards and i was referring to you. i saw your P182SE pics and you don't have it plugged with a 8800GTS in there but others have said you need to have it plugged in or you'll have stability issues.

wheres the plug ment to be on the 8800gts i can't see it

i need to read its manual XD

ive read the manual and it says you can plug in the 6pin 'OR' the 4pin for axillary power

i don't know which manual your reading but mine says on pg 1-7:

[ATX4P1]: Auxiliary 12V power connector
This connector provides an auxiliary power source for devices added to the PCI Express slots.

for me, i don't have it plugged in and just plugged in the 6pin pci-e to my X1900 since i have to or i get no display.

MzL forget the vid card, look for the molex connector on the mobo above the pci-e slot. Thats what this thread is about.

o i get it now :eek:

i don't have any extra PCI devices in my slots so i dont' need it

but the GFX should get enough power from the 6pin PCI-e molex

but the GFX should get enough power from the 6pin PCI-e molex
actually the combination of the PCI-E Bus (it'll be drawing upto 75W from this) & the 6-pin PEG connector.

Back