PCI-e or Sata SSD's and Money

Synaux

n00b
So I have been salivating over my keyboard for some time at Sata SSD drives, but due to lack of funds I have yet to purchase anything. As such, I simply ignored PCI-e as I perceived them to be entirely too expensive for my student-based funds.

However, I found this

A OCZ RevoDrive OCZSSDPX-1RVD0120 PCI-E x4 120GB PCI Express MLC Internal Solid State Drive for only 101.99 on Newegg?!

Aside from dicking around on ebay this seems like a very good deal?
I mean its ranked #3 on Passmark's Website
Just looking for some thoughts about these drives and/or and suggestions for sata alternatives around that price range.
Thanks!

You lost me at OCZ.

OCZ have had a bad track record with regards to reliability for a long time and you'll find that that brand's name is like holy water is to Vampires :)

Besides you can get newer SSD's for about $95 that would likely perform better.

This is an example.

The only way you will overcome the performance bottleneck of sata is if you have a serious raid setup. If its a single drive dont bother with pcie.

Yea I don't really have any personal experience with OCZ...I will take your word on it

That Samsung 840 might be the way to go for now (hopefully in a year or so SSDs will be considerably cheaper for a 512gb or so)

The only way you will overcome the performance bottleneck of sata is if you have a serious raid setup. If its a single drive dont bother with pcie.

I am sorry, but I don't understand your logic. Wont a PCIe drive out perform sata without raid any day--why would it matter if I went with a single PCIe drive and keep my old and crusty IDE and SATA drives for storage?
Personally at this time, I have no interest in raid for the simple fact that I (and my business) don't have money for it. I am trying to upgrade 5 machines at once.

Thanks

Stay away from ocz. I had one and it was crap, my friend had one and it died after a year. Go with intel, crucial, or samsung.

You're not really going to notice any real world speed difference between the fastest ssd and an average ssd for the most part.

I am sorry, but I don't understand your logic. Wont a PCIe drive out perform sata without raid any day--why would it matter if I went with a single PCIe drive and keep my old and crusty IDE and SATA drives for storage?
Personally at this time, I have no interest in raid for the simple fact that I (and my business) don't have money for it. I am trying to upgrade 5 machines at once.

Thanks

If the PCIe drive you are looking at is able to sustain throughput over 600mb/s then yes, it will no doubt perform better and it will make sense to get a PCIe drive. But if the drive you are looking at, take the OCZ as an example has a max of 540 then whats the point if you can get the same out of a samsung 840 pro on ssd and have the reliability and reduced cost along with it. Not to mention probably less headache going the conventional route.

Prices are considerably cheaper now (or rather, 2-3 months ago). They're increasing at the moment.

the pci-e drive you are looking at is a raid done for you. they take ssds and combine them on the card. you are better off purchasing individual ssds and raiding them yourself.

There's really no reason on a desktop to go PCIe. Even old SATA-2 SSDs are so fast you don't really notice an improvement going to new faster ones (I've actually done this). I'd stick with SATA because they are more widely available, from better manufacturers, and you can stick them in any system no problem, including a laptop if you decide to.

Price, reliability and support are the big things to look at for SSDs. Not speed. They are all plenty fast for a desktop. PCIe SSDs are for things like caching on database servers where the load is insane. They just won't give you any real world benefit on your system.

the pci-e drive you are looking at is a raid done for you. they take ssds and combine them on the card. you are better off purchasing individual ssds and raiding them yourself.

Yeah, and those "cheap" PCIe SSDs lose trim all the same, and I'm even wondering if they have as good access times as SATA ones.

Back