PCI-E bit perfect to use as transport

blinx

Limp Gawd
I currently have a Creative X-fi xtrememusic that uses digital coax to output a bit perfect signal to my schiit bifrost. It works great and I have enjoyed the card since about 2006.. however i'm looking to upgrade my box to SLI which effectively blocks the PCI slot I use for the x-fi. I've tried researching and really haven't found anything for my needs (all the threads are pretty dated)

The only thing I use it for is a bit-perfect transport.. so the requirements are pci-e, bit-perfect and digital coax. Am I just too picky?

Doesn't your motherboard have TOSLINK (or coaxial SPDIF for that matter)? Just use it instead. Since you're using an external DAC to do all the legwork via an SPDIF interface anyway, it won't make a difference if you buy a soundcard or if you save $$$ and use the mainboard TOSLINK.

Doesn't your motherboard have TOSLINK (or coaxial SPDIF for that matter)? Just use it instead. Since you're using an external DAC to do all the legwork via an SPDIF interface anyway, it won't make a difference if you buy a soundcard or if you save $$$ and use the mainboard TOSLINK.

Onboard audio *usually* doesn't support bit-perfect. Otherwise I would have been doing that already :-/

Bit-perfect audio/video does not perform any digital signal processing (DSP) or re-sampling. It's simply an unaltered passthrough.

Last edited:
Back