PCI-E Bifurcation a 2080Ti 4-way sli best way to do it?

amback

n00b
With the introduction of nvidia 20s series gpus they said that they don't officially support 4-way sli BUT am assuming that using (Bifurcation) we can bruteforce 4 gpus. 2 gpus in 2 x8 slots and 2 more gpus in 2 x8.

a few questions that i got are

1. If we take the 1 x16 and split it into 2 x8 and connect 2 2080ti, do we need to also connect an sli bridge between the 2 2080ti?

2. Has anyone done this setup to do a 4-way sli with the latest 20s series gpus?

3. which latest amd or intel motherboard can i use use to support it, i heard lots asrock motherboards has support for it.

For some that don't know what PCIE-BIFURCATION is, essensially splitting a x16 lane into(in this instance) 2 x8 lanes and connecting 2 devices into each lane. meaning that if you got 2 x16 slots in your motherboard you can split those slots into 4 x8 and connect 4 devices(in this example 4 gpus).

Last edited:
4 way 20 series SLI would first require a NVLINK 4 way bridge to each graphics card. There is no way I know of avoiding this. I don't believe that exists except for perhaps in enterprise (?)

PCIE Bifurcation will not magically fix this problem. 2 x16 slots bifurcated into 4 x8 slots operate the same as an X299 board with 4 physical/electrical x8 slots

You are right Asrock boards have bifurcation as a standard feature for most if not all of their boards.

I would refer to our bifurcation thread if you wish to have a better chance of getting your questions answered. (Link)

What’s the point of 4way 2080Ti SLI beyond emptying wallets with extreme prejudice? Just curious. Benchmark chasing? AI? I thought the 2080Ti line was borked for this by Nvidia forcing you to step up to either the Titan RTX or Quadros.

Putting four 2080Tis into the same machine isn’t a problem at all. Getting SLI to work is a problem since there is no 4-way NVlink bridge for these cards.

Back