PCI card with NIC and DB-9 serial port?

harrije

n00b
I have a peripheral that uses a serial link for control and Ethernet for data. To save on PC space, I'm looking for single PCI card that has both a NIC and DB-9 port. I have not been able to locate one. Do any exist on the market?

I've seen cards with a serial port and a network port, but they were all remote management cards, and those ports are usually not accessible by the house.

Any chance of using a serial port header on the motherboard?

I don't think I've seen such a card in decades. Some OEMs like Packard Bell used to have multifunction ISA cards with "everything" on one card, but they tended to be unstable and buggy. The last one I saw was in a Packard Bell Platinum I, which was a full 12" card.

But like toast0 said, motherboards usually have at least one serial port header available, you just need the rear DB-9 connector to plug into it.

If you are hellbent on getting both functions in a single PCI slot, you can use a 2-port PCI to CardBus adapter and install a CardBus to Ethernet card in one slot, and CardBus to serial in the other.
https://www.startech.com/en-eu/cards-adapters/pci2pcmcia2

I know USB to serial adapters are iffy, but maybe you can use a PCI serial card and USB to Ethernet adapter.

Last edited:
Ethernet to serial adapters suffer from the same problem that USB to serial adapters have, that in timing critical situations they may not work properly.

If you are hellbent on getting both functions in a single PCI slot, you can use a 2-port PCI to CardBus adapter and install a CardBus to Ethernet card in one slot, and CardBus to serial in the other.
https://www.startech.com/en-eu/cards-adapters/pci2pcmcia2

I know USB to serial adapters are iffy, but maybe you can use a PCI serial card and USB to Ethernet adapter.
We are currently using USB adapters for both the serial link and Ethernet. Like the poster mentioned, they are "iffy". These connections are commonly going out-of-service due to static-electricity zaps, the phase of the moon, and whatever else. We are fed up and want to get away from USB interfaces. Hence this post asking about a real serial link and NIC.

We are currently using USB adapters for both the serial link and Ethernet. Like the poster mentioned, they are "iffy". These connections are commonly going out-of-service due to static-electricity zaps, the phase of the moon, and whatever else. We are fed up and want to get away from USB interfaces. Hence this post asking about a real serial link and NIC.

Serial ports and NICs are just as subject to damage from power surges as USB ports... Can't tell you how many blown up serial ports or onboard NICs I've seen over the years.

Are you sure the USB ports aren't just dirty? Try using some Deoxit Gold G5 or automotive contact cleaner on the ports by hosing down the inside and letting them dry out.

Back