PCI Card, Cross-Over Cable...question!

Khaydarin

2[H]4U
I'm on the DoD network here at school (Annapolis), so I can only directly connect my issued computer (a Dell) up to the internet. I was told my someone outside of school (and confirmed it with some tech people here) that I could probably do this (see below) to get a separate desktop hooked up to the net as well:

- put an extra Networking PCI card into my old Dell's motherboard (which is connected to the wall)
- create a bridge in My Network Connections between the Networking PCI card and the Dell's motherboard ethernet
- run a cross-over cable between the Networking PCI card and the new computer's motherboard.

And thus....get internet on the new computer.

What internet settings do I have to change to accomplish this? When I tried just enabling the bridge, I lost my internet connection.

Just use native Windows ICS...run the wizard.

Just about all new computers now have a gigabit NIC that's built in. Part of the gigabit standard is auto MDI-X...so crossover cables have gone the way of the floppy drive now...extinction! As long as 1 of the two NICs is gigabit...it'll automatically take care of the direction for you.

yeeah, you need to run the Internet Connection Sharing wizard to make your main computer do some NAT action for your other computer. simply setting up a bridge isn't going to do much for you. :)

Just use native Windows ICS...run the wizard.

Just about all new computers now have a gigabit NIC that's built in. Part of the gigabit standard is auto MDI-X...so crossover cables have gone the way of the floppy drive now...extinction! As long as 1 of the two NICs is gigabit...it'll automatically take care of the direction for you.

Two questions...
- What is a gigabit NIC?
- Why are cross-over cables "heading towards extinction" again?

A gigibait nic is a 1000mbit network card (10/100/1000) instead of (10/100).
Cross over cables are going extinct because most newer networking devices
can automatically detect what they're connected to and emulate a cross over cable if needed.

The best way I could describe it.

Oh ok. So I can just hook the cable up to the motherboard of the Dell (connected to the wall) and the new PC? You're saying I don't need the extra Networking PCI card at all?

Back