PCGH - RX 480 fails at 1400MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the final, release, drivers will tweak the fan profiles and power management to keep temps lower than that.

its a non issue. The 1080s and 1070s are around the same range arent the? in the low 80s?

Because there aren't any rules against it.

So long as I stay on topic and don't call people names, we can can have a discussion.

Exactly and this is a discussion about how well the RX 480 can overclock. Not about who is pledging allegiance to AMD. Or if an AIB card can save the 480? (not sure how it can save an unreleased card).

So yea keep on trying man :)

its a non issue. The 1080s and 1070s are around the same range arent the? in the low 80s?

Something like that. It's just a bit unusual to see a $200 card hitting those temps. Though aftermarket coolers will handle that.

Reading your signature. I see you've pledged allegiance to AMD, so I'm baffled of why you have a 980Ti?
Please just sell it so we can stop hearing how much you hate it. Sell it now, make about $350 and you can buy two RX480s.

Boo freaking hoo. If you do not want to read what I have to say, don't. Also, if I could sell it for the cost of 2 x RX480 8GB's, I would but obviously, I cannot. Therefore, deal with it or go back to the Nvidia section, your choice. Notice I am not going in there and crapping on Nvidia, take a lesson from that I suppose?

The FE cards can easily throttle with the stock coolers, so it is an issue. Not everyone wants to crank the GPU fan.

Last edited:
Something like that. It's just a bit unusual to see a $200 card hitting those temps. Though aftermarket coolers will handle that.

Thats cuz if you looked at the cooler you will see actually its doing a decent job lol. Plus we don't know we have seen most people saying the temps are in 70s so he could very well have higher ambient temps.

Thats cuz if you looked at the cooler you will see actually its doing a decent job lol. Plus we don't know we have seen most people saying the temps are in 70s so he could very well have higher ambient temps.

True. And, like I said, the release drivers might have a different fan profiles and specific power management settings for the card so the temps could be different.

He posted in another thread. Apparently he has the card he is not speaking much. But According to him voltage is currently locked. So this might be the reason I guess. AMD might be locking it on the reference cards, so looks like people are gonna have to unlock the bios on the reference cards. or may be its just the drivers but it might be locked on reference cards.

"ebduncan said:
they could have put a 8 pin connector on, but I have no idea if It would actually help. Power consumption for me is under 115 watts. Biggest thing holding back overclocks right now is voltage control, which is currently locked. Board power being limited to 150 will hold back the higher overclocks most likely but no idea until I can do power consumption numbers with voltage control to see how much headroom there actually is.

Also while the specs are limited to 150watt, the 6 pin connector can provide more than its rated 75 watts. Kinda like my 290x which when overclocked can pull north of 400 watts abiet from 1-6pin and 1-8pin"

Idk I have heard quiet a few people in the past say that GCN usually get more performance per clock when overclocked vs nvidia cards.

if its not possible theoretically then its not possible lol, but they are also overclocking memory too, so the combination of the two might have that effect if the frames being tested are memory bandwidth bound and GPU bound at different partial frame times.

As I quoted "ebduncun" above, looks like voltage is locked on reference model. So no wonder we are getting all kinds of numbers. So bios mod looks like the way to go for reference it might just stay that way until AIB cards show up.

He posted in another thread. Apparently he has the card he is not speaking much. But According to him voltage is currently locked. So this might be the reason I guess. AMD might be locking it on the reference cards, so looks like people are gonna have to unlock the bios on the reference cards. or may be its just the drivers but it might be locked on reference cards.

"ebduncan said:
they could have put a 8 pin connector on, but I have no idea if It would actually help. Power consumption for me is under 115 watts. Biggest thing holding back overclocks right now is voltage control, which is currently locked. Board power being limited to 150 will hold back the higher overclocks most likely but no idea until I can do power consumption numbers with voltage control to see how much headroom there actually is.

Also while the specs are limited to 150watt, the 6 pin connector can provide more than its rated 75 watts. Kinda like my 290x which when overclocked can pull north of 400 watts abiet from 1-6pin and 1-8pin"

There is nothing stopping any card from using more than the pin connector rating, the bios tells the GPU to throttle though, so if you circumvent that, then its its possible. but I wouldn't recommend it unless ya know what you are doing. And if I hear a person has a fire because of this then RMA's his card, I will bitch him out lol.

As I quoted "ebduncun" above, looks like voltage is locked on reference model. So no wonder we are getting all kinds of numbers. So bios mod looks like the way to go for reference it might just stay that way until AIB cards show up.
Hey he also stated this

AMD Radeon RX 480 Supplies at Launch

the rx480 will be on shelves on the 29th. Perhaps the 24th if AMD does decide to move up the NDA

There will be no non-reference cards at launch day. Most you will see is a bit altered clocks, and a backplate. Example at the 290/290x launch the XFX version of the 290 Black edition had a clock of 980mhz which was above the base clock of 947mhz. You can expect the same thing with the RX series cards.

I will also confirm clock speeds can be in excess of 1400mhz on the reference card when overclocked.

I'm more inclined to believe.......videocardz.

Guess what I believed him when he posted that now not so much. I even posted referencing what he stated.

Hmmm Curious if they will be voltage locked until proper review drivers?

Just throwing something out there. I mean i think its stupid to release overclocking utilities int he drivers that can adjust the voltage, but voltage lock the card? What the

The new nvidia cards run in the 80s too though so not a biggie.

Its about the power draw vs. the temps vs the size of the GPU.

The Rx480 should be drawing less power, it should have less of a hot GPU, the reference cooler might not be as good as the FE coolers of Pascal at least when cooling the gpu. They are quite a bit bigger than the ref. cooler of the the rx480 heat sink wise, fan looks bigger too.

Hey he also stated this

Guess what I believed him when he posted that now not so much. I even posted referencing what he stated.

Yes in excess of 1400mhz, with proper voltage.

The Rx480 should be drawing less power, it should have less of a hot GPU, the reference cooler might not be as good as the FE coolers of Pascal.

the reference rx480 cooler sucks. I mean it works just fine, it's quiet and all, but it's not made for "extreme overclocking"

The Rx480 should be drawing less power, it should have less of a hot GPU, the reference cooler might not be as good as the FE coolers of Pascal at least when cooling the gpu. They are quite a bit bigger than the ref. cooler of the the rx480 heat sink wise, fan looks bigger too.

Looks like a heatpipe based cooler and not a vapor chamber too.

Hmmm Curious if they will be voltage locked until proper review drivers?

Just throwing something out there. I mean i think its stupid to release overclocking utilities int he drivers that can adjust the voltage, but voltage lock the card? What the

Well if its truly voltage locked, then all the WCCtech stuff, is all BS. This is why I call it WTF tech.

Hey he also stated this

Yea he is saying that voltage is limited on reference cards, he quoted me back and said let me rephrase that its not totally locked but its very limited. So probably bios lock on how much you can feed the reference card. probably to make AIBs happy and also allows them to use a cheap cooler and not have people burn up their cards lol.

Yes in excess of 1400mhz, with proper voltage.

the reference rx480 cooler sucks. I mean it works just fine, it's quiet and all, but it's not made for "extreme overclocking"

How do you know that if its voltage locked lol?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the cooler though.

Yea he is saying that voltage is limited on reference cards. So probably bios lock on how much you can feed the reference card. probably to make AIBs happy and also allows them to use a cheap cooler and not have people burn up their cards lol.

So pretty much whom ever talking about overclocking over 1400, like the 1500 and 1600+ leaks were talking out of their ass? WTF tech and the forum poster that had a bother and friends in the business?

So pretty much whom ever talking about overclocking over 1400, like the 1500 and 1600+ leaks were talking out of their ass? WTF tech and the forum poster that had a bother and friends in the business?

I think those claims were more about 8+6 pin cards but yea they were hyping it like it was the reference card. I mean card with very basic cooler is not going to clock through the moon. We all know how graphics cards are with voltage.

Well they didn't say that nor did they say AIB cards. That puts a whole new light on those people.

We assumed it was the ref cards, at least I did, I was thinking 1500 on the ref card with higher voltage, I don't see that happening now,

I'm thinking 1450's this thing is going to max out with the 6 pin connector.

1080 is vapor chamber I believe. I remember seeing pictures of it. I could be wrong.

1080 is a vapor chamber. I was talking about the RX 480 reference. Its a cost cutting cooler, that's for sure.

He said its very limited on reference.

Well that means its either very close to its upper ideal voltage limits or the stock card is close to the 150 watt max that the 6 pin can deliver.

I am really curious to see if this ends up where the Pascal hardware did. All of the extra power phases, massive coolers, and extra pin headers haven't taken that hardware much faster than the reference cooler and power arrangement. What they have done for Pascal is lowered the noise and reduced thermal throttling.

AMD could be in the same boat here, it would only make sense that AMD would put out the chip at close to its maximum speed. Purposefully neutering the reference card doesn't make a lot of sense if they could have made it better with small changes.

Let's hope it's not another 290x reference cooler type situation.

say what? Now thats just wrong lol. No way in hell this is 290 sitution. 290 was no where near this price range and it was throttling and stock cooler couldnt keep up and they had to bump up the fan speed. From all we have heard is opposite with this card, it is cool and quiet and performs.

i wonder just how loud and high pitched these be at full speed? Blower so it cant be to good lol I remember my nvidia 280's were loud as fuck at full speed

all fans are loud as hell when they are up to max at least ref ones, best to get a better aftermarket cooler or AIB board to overclock.

i wonder just how loud and high pitched these be at full speed? Blower so it cant be to good lol I remember my nvidia 280's were loud as fuck at full speed

I'm waiting for a tri-x version from sapphire, or something else that is ultra quiet. Keeping a reference 290 cool kicks the fans up too high for max performance, never again, NEVER AGAIN !!!!!!

PS - my current case is such a jumbled cluster#^^$/mess I just removed the side panel and said #$%^ it, that was the only way the heat build up inside would not explode with all the wires blocking the airflow. If you all could see the horror show you would petition Kyle to delete my account.

say what? Now thats just wrong lol. No way in hell this is 290 sitution. 290 was no where near this price range and it was throttling and stock cooler couldnt keep up and they had to bump up the fan speed. From all we have heard is opposite with this card, it is cool and quiet and performs.

2 things worry me about the cooler.

1 - must be extremely cheap, since this is on a sub-$300 card. So cooling performance will be questionable, even with the low TDP.
2 - linked to 1. Since it's really cheap, it is likely that the acoustic profile of the fan is very undesirable, forcing AMD to low ball the default fan curve, leading to high average temps.

Number 2 is especially likely. We've seen that even with the premium vapor chamber cooler NVIDIA uses for their 1080, it still underperforms compared to the cooling load, especially at low fan speeds. Now AMD is using an inferior cooler, so it must have higher fan speed to compensate. If it doesn't, and AMD set the speed low, we may have a repeat of the 290x situation.

The HSF has already been disassembled and posted online, if you're curious about the quality.

Ex:

wkVater.jpg

2 things worry me about the cooler.

1 - must be extremely cheap, since this is on a sub-$300 card. So cooling performance will be questionable, even with the low TDP.
2 - linked to 1. Since it's really cheap, it is likely that the acoustic profile of the fan is very undesirable, forcing AMD to low ball the default fan curve, leading to high average temps.

Number 2 is especially likely. We've seen that even with the premium vapor chamber cooler NVIDIA uses for their 1080, it still underperforms compared to the cooling load, especially at low fan speeds. Now AMD is using an inferior cooler, so it must have higher fan speed to compensate. If it doesn't, and AMD set the speed low, we may have a repeat of the 290x situation.

You really need to look around and see the leaks. Seriously you are too concentrated on this 290x repeat. its not lol! Most people are saying it stays in the 70s on stock clocks. So thats not bad for a shitty cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back